Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:04 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,602 times

Advertisements

Oh gosh, look out Kitties!!! I have five also, but only one is not seeing the humor in the move. She is all matted so I have an appointment for her to get her hair done on Friday. Maybe she will feel better after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 01:07 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
We are very close to closing the deal on selling our house. If all goes according to plan, we will close on the 28th of this month with a month to vacate the premises. The buyer is a bit skittish, but I really think (and so does the realtor) that it is going thru. So in a couple of weeks we will board the doggies, and fly up to Portland and start house hunting! I have got a lot of stuff packed already....if it doesnt go thru we will be living in a very empty house devoid of much of our beloved stuff....until it does. Please please please keep your fingers crossed for us!
Sounds great....good timing...spring is in the air or maybe I lost my mind on the last snow storm Anyways, will be gladd to have you in the "neighborhood". I live in Auburn but Portland's my back yard

Old 02-11-2008, 02:15 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,240,442 times
There's one job catagory that we never have applicants for... boat painter/varnisher. None of the boat yards around ever have anyone apply. The pay can be quite good considering the schooling required.

By the way, house painters make rotten yacht varnishers, and vice versa.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:58 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
There's one job catagory that we never have applicants for... boat painter/varnisher. None of the boat yards around ever have anyone apply. The pay can be quite good considering the schooling required.

By the way, house painters make rotten yacht varnishers, and vice versa.
Well I know a boatbuilder here... I am sure he would be glad to teach me the ropes but I doubt if there are any boatbuilders in Bangor. Correct me if I am wrong though! I won't admit to knowing how to paint a house...

Old 02-11-2008, 03:17 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,240,442 times
One of the guys that works for me commutes from Bangor.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:59 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
Starwalker imagines:
"I doubt if there are any boatbuilders in Bangor. Correct me if I am wrong though!"

Maybe not in Bangor, but right next door in Hampden there is going to be a Hodgdon Yacht yard. It should be open later this year. They are a premium builder. Check the links.

Hodgdon Yachts, Vessels since 1816

Hodgdon Yachts building yacht interiors in Richmond

"Along with help from the governor's office, the cities of Bangor and Hampden are working with company officials to do everything possible to see a division of Hodgdon Shipbuilding located on the Penobscot River."

Old 02-11-2008, 06:30 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,708 times
Interesting... I may want to spend my last days in NC as an apprentice with my friend the boatbuilder....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Starwalker imagines:
"I doubt if there are any boatbuilders in Bangor. Correct me if I am wrong though!"

Maybe not in Bangor, but right next door in Hampden there is going to be a Hodgdon Yacht yard. It should be open later this year. They are a premium builder. Check the links.

Hodgdon Yachts, Vessels since 1816

Hodgdon Yachts building yacht interiors in Richmond

"Along with help from the governor's office, the cities of Bangor and Hampden are working with company officials to do everything possible to see a division of Hodgdon Shipbuilding located on the Penobscot River."

Old 02-11-2008, 07:01 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,345,007 times
We've been looking for our dream home in Maine for about 5 years now. We decided after many missed opportunities that we needed to get motivated. We sold our house in NH almost 2 years ago. We have crammed us and 4 kids and pets into a 2 bedroom apartment. Our livestock is scattered at various locations.
We will be moving to Maine by June 2008. I have narrowed down our search to a few farms. I am coming back to Maine the last week in Feb. for a last scouting mission. If none of the farms pan out I will buy a cheap duplex or multifamily and cram my family, pets etc into it and we will continue to look for perfect farm land.
Regardless of where we end up, I will continue to commute back and forth to NH to work as I have contracted work through a good part of 2009. This will allow me to have an income while I get my carpentry/contract company re-established in Maine.
Can't wait!

Old 02-11-2008, 09:13 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
We are very close to closing the deal on selling our house. If all goes according to plan, we will close on the 28th of this month with a month to vacate the premises. The buyer is a bit skittish, but I really think (and so does the realtor) that it is going thru. So in a couple of weeks we will board the doggies, and fly up to Portland and start house hunting! I have got a lot of stuff packed already....if it doesnt go thru we will be living in a very empty house devoid of much of our beloved stuff....until it does. Please please please keep your fingers crossed for us!
Congratulations elston! I don't know if you've reported this elsewhere and I missed it, but I'm sure I join everybody in tipping my glass to you!

Old 02-11-2008, 09:45 PM

323 posts, read 992,942 times
WOW that is awesome elston! I am so happy for you!! I wish you the best!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine