U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 01-05-2009, 07:34 AM
 
2,133 posts, read 3,610,213 times
Reputation: 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Funny story.... I called El and we went through the pictures one by one. One of the first outside shots shows a large red ship docked down river, so I said "do you see the red ship? That's Bayside, on the Canadian side" Well, Olivia was in the background saying "We have a SHIP??" hilarious, so El didn't remark on the "Canadian side" comment, which I thought was unusual. Then, 20 minutes later we're going through the pictures again, and it clicks.... she *yells* into the phone "Oh wait a minute!! You mean that's CANADA?? The other side of the river is Canada??!!" It was priceless!

LOL, yup. Tammy can see Canada from her house! ETA: Sorry, I was channeling Tina Fey this morning.

Just have to say again how exciting this all is. It really does seem like everything is falling into place perfectly.



Now, once you get moved Tammy, could you send some of that magical pixie dust out to Appleton, WI?? Pleeeeze??? Thanks

Last edited by BacktoNE; 01-05-2009 at 08:11 AM..
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2009, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Midcoast Maine
4,892 posts, read 7,035,201 times
Reputation: 3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
LOL, yup. Tammy can see Canada from her house! ETA: Sorry, I was channeling Tina Fey this morning.

Just have to say again how exciting this all is. It really does seem like everything is falling into place perfectly.



Now, once you get moved Tammy, could you send some of that magical pixie dust out to Appleton, WI?? Pleeeeze??? Thanks
If El has any magical pixie dust left, PLEASE send it to NC! At least our trip next month is coming together. I got the lodging and rental car squared away over the weekend. (Got an awesome deal on a car through Hotwire. It's amazing what a huge difference there is in rental rates among all the discount travel sites...) The hubs and kids are getting almost as excited as me now. Almost, but not quite... I'm sure I'll be a complete spaz when we land in Portland. Poor hubby! He's been putting up with my yapping about Maine for years now. What a saint! Not much longer, and we'll at least get to visit... Cannot wait!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2009, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Maine!
701 posts, read 597,971 times
Reputation: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
If El has any magical pixie dust left, PLEASE send it to NC! At least our trip next month is coming together. I got the lodging and rental car squared away over the weekend. (Got an awesome deal on a car through Hotwire. It's amazing what a huge difference there is in rental rates among all the discount travel sites...) The hubs and kids are getting almost as excited as me now. Almost, but not quite... I'm sure I'll be a complete spaz when we land in Portland. Poor hubby! He's been putting up with my yapping about Maine for years now. What a saint! Not much longer, and we'll at least get to visit... Cannot wait!
Thanks for the travel tip Can't wait to hear about your trip!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2009, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Maine
5,054 posts, read 7,678,312 times
Reputation: 1827
Good tip about Hotwire. I'm going to make all our reservations soon for the 3 nights along the way. We've moved our date up to Feb 26th, so we'll leave Texas on Thursday and arrive in Calais on Sunday. Yippee!

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone. You're all so sweet! Can't wait to start meeting everyone in person.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2009, 04:38 PM
 
Location: St. Augustine, FL
227 posts, read 239,998 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Funny story.... I called El and we went through the pictures one by one. One of the first outside shots shows a large red ship docked down river, so I said "do you see the red ship? That's Bayside, on the Canadian side" Well, Olivia was in the background saying "We have a SHIP??" hilarious, so El didn't remark on the "Canadian side" comment, which I thought was unusual. Then, 20 minutes later we're going through the pictures again, and it clicks.... she *yells* into the phone "Oh wait a minute!! You mean that's CANADA?? The other side of the river is Canada??!!" It was priceless!
A lot has happened since I last checked in. Congratulations on everything falling into place, Elcarim! Looks like a great home and a wonderful view! If you don't already have them, it looks like you need to add passports to your checklist to visit across the river.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2009, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Midcoast Maine
4,892 posts, read 7,035,201 times
Reputation: 3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Good tip about Hotwire. I'm going to make all our reservations soon for the 3 nights along the way. We've moved our date up to Feb 26th, so we'll leave Texas on Thursday and arrive in Calais on Sunday. Yippee!

Thanks for the well wishes, everyone. You're all so sweet! Can't wait to start meeting everyone in person.
Wow, El, we'll be in Maine at the same time! Unfortunately, we have to head back to NC on March 2nd though ... Best of luck with all your final preparations! It's down to the wire now, girl!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2009, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 801,463 times
Reputation: 302
I've been away, so I guess I missed it. Someone didn't realize that Canada is on the other side of the river from Calais? I knew that and I've never been there! 'Course, it being an international border and all is the main reason we're coming there in the first place. So, I guess I had the advantage of a clue. It looks like we might be getting there around the same time as El. So, I'm going to be calling in all those invites for coffee, lunch, etc. As much fun as this group is on the forum, I can't wait until we're all sitting around a table talking!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 05:37 AM
 
Location: Maine
5,636 posts, read 7,247,952 times
Reputation: 4585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
So, I'm going to be calling in all those invites for coffee, lunch, etc. As much fun as this group is on the forum, I can't wait until we're all sitting around a table talking!
We'll have a blast!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 09:16 AM
 
2,133 posts, read 3,610,213 times
Reputation: 1364
As some of you may have read, our trip home in mid-December was less than stellar due to the stress of being caught in that big NorEaster, the resultant flight delays, etc. That, combined with the recent death of my brother, led us to feel that perhaps Maine wasn't "home" anymore.

Since then, we have done a lot of thinking and talking about the situation and have come to the conclusion that Maine is definitely still our home, and returning home remains our goal for 2009.

So now we are back to the waiting game. We need to see if DH can transfer with his current company (which would mean the current rep terminates for some reason) and, if not, we need a Plan B which is still on the drawing board.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Sittin' on the rocks at the bay...
21,278 posts, read 4,890,451 times
Reputation: 33228
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoNE View Post
As some of you may have read, our trip home in mid-December was less than stellar due to the stress of being caught in that big NorEaster, the resultant flight delays, etc. That, combined with the recent death of my brother, led us to feel that perhaps Maine wasn't "home" anymore.

Since then, we have done a lot of thinking and talking about the situation and have come to the conclusion that Maine is definitely still our home, and returning home remains our goal for 2009.

So now we are back to the waiting game. We need to see if DH can transfer with his current company (which would mean the current rep terminates for some reason) and, if not, we need a Plan B which is still on the drawing board.
Good for you guys!!! Best of luck in your new search and I hope the transfer and move goes smoothly, so you can get back home where your hearts will be happiest!!!!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top