Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2016, 10:35 AM

393 posts, read 981,524 times

Advertisements

Hi. I recently adopted a rescue pup. He loves all people and other dogs. Because I live in a rather isolated area, he will not have much opportunity to play with other dogs. I am wondering if anyone in Western Maine (Lovell, Fryeburg, Sweden, Bridgton) is interested in forming a one-hour weekly meet for dogs to get together and play/run around? I do give him plenty of exercise, and no, I do not want to have more than one dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 10:47 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,534,340 times
Completely unhelpful but I'm curious. Did you adopt through Maine Lab Rescue? We have two dogs in the family and four among friends through MLR. Zoey would love new friends but we're on the other side of the state.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:01 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,671,339 times
Many animal shelters would like to have "visitors". They work at socializing their animals.

Old 03-31-2016, 02:04 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcberry View Post
Hi. I recently adopted a rescue pup. He loves all people and other dogs. Because I live in a rather isolated area, he will not have much opportunity to play with other dogs. I am wondering if anyone in Western Maine (Lovell, Fryeburg, Sweden, Bridgton) is interested in forming a one-hour weekly meet for dogs to get together and play/run around? I do give him plenty of exercise, and no, I do not want to have more than one dog.
Here is the issue with dog park type situations- ie getting a group of dogs together that are unknown to each other.
First of all- a dog that is basically having one big outing a week is going to be pretty riled up. Only a dog already socialized with other dogs should be put in this situation. It becomes a mix for disaster if one is using a group setting to " socialize" their dog. The only way that could work out is if the other dogs are use to how to act in a group dog setting.
Second- these dogs should all have the same vaccines. While rabies is required by law, not all owners give the other vaccines and at the proper intervals. It becomes a good way to get anything from as minor as worms to as major as distemper or parvo etc.

I would instead recommend you contact the local kennel clubs. Start with Bangor Kennel club, and they might be able to recommend say dog training classes. This would lead to not only teaching your dog the proper social behaviors, but also spread into a play session. Another suggestion is your own vet as they know of such groups, training classes etc.

I would also suggest that you just keep getting him in public. Start work on obedience, to build confidence as well as control of your dog, but also to aid in becoming a 'good citizen' for social situations.
But above all- remember that your puppy will learn alot at especially at a young age, so it is critical that you only let your newly adopted dog around peoples dogs that can be trust to show/demonstrate Good Manners !

Old 03-31-2016, 05:22 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,236,869 times
Just note, Bangor is nowhere near the op... they probably could advise a few places near to the op though.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Just note, Bangor is nowhere near the op... they probably could advise a few places near to the op though.
The way the Kennel clubs operate, they are not in each county of the a State. You go by the largest Kennel club of the State- and in this case- it is Bangor. There is an Off branch of the AKC kennel club in Augusta, but more resources for help in the Bangor one.

This is the organization I am suggesting for the OP to contact. Not just obedience classes etc, but also within the perticulars, would be other activities the OP could do with their new dog.
https://www.apps.akc.org/apps/events...state&state=ME

Old 04-03-2016, 08:09 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
when I had two greyhounds (retired racers)

id take them to the local parks,,, they had a great time!!! yes they would meet other dogs... I often thought they were the wiser animals, a couple sniffs and they knew exactly where they stood

id also take them to the local school ball parks and let them run and run.....

Old 04-03-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
when I had two greyhounds (retired racers)

id take them to the local parks,,, they had a great time!!! yes they would meet other dogs... I often thought they were the wiser animals, a couple sniffs and they knew exactly where they stood

id also take them to the local school ball parks and let them run and run.....
We have a retired racer now as one of our pack.
A retired racer is very dog savvy, but the issue can be that other dogs are not socialized with other dogs.
Where many Breeders that do not allow the pups to grow up past the first big fear stage, or allow the pups to get around well socialized members of their own pack etc, can have potentially serious pack issues- ie socialization issues.

I do not, nor recommend dog parks. I am also a certified dog trainer. While dog parks can be great to give much needed exercise in play, sadly the original concept of the " dog park" has turned into an area to bring unruley- unsocialized dogs, questionable in disease prevention ( that is another subject by itself), and the list goes on.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:09 PM

393 posts, read 981,524 times
I just signed my pup Truman up for dog obedience classes at Telling Tails in Fryeburg. I'm sure that way not only will we learn doggie manners as a team, but we will meet others in the same situation who live nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine