U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-14-2008, 08:43 PM

1,783 posts, read 1,934,976 times

Advertisements

I was reading several weather threads here when I just found this article in Discover magazine. I'm driving back there soon. Snow is on my mind. Thought this article was topical enough.

20 Things You Didn't Know About Snow | Environment | DISCOVER Magazine

Sorry if this has been posted before.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 08:50 PM

12,138 posts, read 22,037,267 times
OK, maybe I should have paid attention to the "important" things at school instead of the useless things I did pay attention to. I knew 17 of those.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:01 PM

6,241 posts, read 8,040,414 times
"19 Too much snow can drive a person crazy. Pibloktoq, a little-understood hysteria seen in people living in the Arctic, can cause a wide range of symptoms, including echolalia (senseless repetition of overheard words) and running around naked in the snow."

In Maine we just call that "woods weird".

I saw something during yesterday's storm that I had never seen before. It changed from fine snowflakes to big ones a few times. That indicates warmer air above. Then the snowflakes began falling much faster than ususal. They were also cascading off the roof. I reached off the porch and caught some on my glove. They were clusters of sleet all fused together. They looked like miniature bunches of grapes. Then it went to regular sleet, freezing rain and all rain at 33 degrees. All this happened in about a half hour.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:56 PM

8,759 posts, read 11,587,295 times
They're wrong about lightning.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:17 AM

11,005 posts, read 10,994,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"19 Too much snow can drive a person crazy. Pibloktoq, a little-understood hysteria seen in people living in the Arctic, can cause a wide range of symptoms, including echolalia (senseless repetition of overheard words) and running around naked in the snow."

I saw something during yesterday's storm that I had never seen before. It changed from fine snowflakes to big ones a few times. That indicates warmer air above. Then the snowflakes began falling much faster than ususal. They were also cascading off the roof. I reached off the porch and caught some on my glove. They were clusters of sleet all fused together. They looked like miniature bunches of grapes. Then it went to regular sleet, freezing rain and all rain at 33 degrees. All this happened in about a half hour.

isnt that the side affects of allens coffee brandy?

Old 02-15-2008, 06:50 AM

7,392 posts, read 8,459,154 times
so, I'm moving to Valdez....DH told me to have a good time and he'll send a check

I love the article though....and NMLM, I noticed that yesterday too, but I didn't reach out and catch any of it, very cool

Old 02-15-2008, 07:58 AM

2,302 posts, read 3,875,527 times
Good post. In school we studied this gentleman from Vermont. Interesting video from the link RMoore provided.
You will have to choose the streaming format.
Wilson Bentley Resources-video

Old 02-15-2008, 08:54 PM

222 posts, read 350,527 times
Default dreaming about snow

We just had our 6th snow day of this year this week. I love snow. Driving home today I could almost see spring popping up around the corners. It is remarkable to me how fast the winter seems to fly. I love the whole thing... the white snow crusted trees, days spent baking cookies in the kitchen , and exciting mornings listening to the radio for cancellations (you'd think we had winning lottery numbers in my house when a snow day is called). Winter in Maine is fantastic and I for one will be sad to see the white stuff go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine