Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 07:10 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,616,013 times

Advertisements

I'd say, even tho WA Co & Aroostook would be best guess, it is either Penob, Franklin or Pisq. or maybe Somerset.

As far as car maker, Subaru, I know that I bet 100% -- but is Outback or Forester more popular? Is a small pickup as in Chevy's or Ford's Ranger, etc. acceptable? Both I think are front-wheel, thus not snow-worthy tho, I bet.

Ok, thanks you scholars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 07:26 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,905,231 times
I think Aroostook or Piscataquis are most conservative.

For winter driving, having studded snow tires will make any car go great.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:49 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Piscataquis County was the only red county in New Ngland the last presidential election.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:16 PM

Hey guys, I knew you'd chime in.

NMLM, isn't it shame that that was case. Demographics are terribly shifting south, no pun intended.

Wow, 8888, I agree as NMLM said same too. But unfortunately I'd rather very north or eastern ME but WA Co isn't good as encroach from Boston, etc. makes it a matter time before it becomes a Portland burb .

What in heck is country, let alone Maine, coming to? Don't ask it seems but rather a cesspool of you-know-what.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:32 AM

As a nation we are in decline. That said, there are pockets of freedom and prosperity. You just have to look. I testified at the legislature several years ago that if they voted for "Son of COMPACT" we would have no paper company land in Maine within 25 years. People laughed. It didn't take 25 years. It took 8 years. Today there is not one single acre of Maine Paper company land in Maine.

Oh, the land is still there, but the paper companies don't own it. A defeated army eaves a scorched land behind as they retreat. Large corporations do too. All of that former paper company land has conservation easements contaminating the land. Nobody will ever build a camp, home or saw mill on those lands. The environmental industry got what they wanted.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:16 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
The Unofficial State Cars of America

Quote:
In Maine, the Volvo V60 Cross Country sells at 554 percent of the national average. In addition, five Subaru models, including the Impreza, Forester, XV Crosstrek, Outback and Legacy, all have market shares more than twice their national market shares.
Here are the most distinctive vehicles by state - Houston Chronicle

Quote:
Maine
Volvo V60

Any vehicle with studded tires works just fine.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:38 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,656,913 times
Quote:
In Maine, the Volvo V60 Cross Country sells at 554 percent of the national average.
I had to look it up, because I dont see too many volvos in Maine. People are simply too poor. 554% sounds like a huge number, until you look up the figures. Volvo only sold 636 of them in the entire usa last year. Selling just 1 more volvo would skew those numbers.

A small pickup would be just fine. Buy one with four wheel drive. You might only need it a handfull of times per year, but when you need it, you need it. It beats being stranded in a blizzard on a road with no one on it.

Old 05-22-2016, 07:49 AM

In 2014, the Subaru Forester was the highest selling car in Maine. I expect whatever is in second place is far behind.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:06 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,203,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
As a nation we are in decline. That said, there are pockets of freedom and prosperity. You just have to look. I testified at the legislature several years ago that if they voted for "Son of COMPACT" we would have no paper company land in Maine within 25 years. People laughed. It didn't take 25 years. It took 8 years. Today there is not one single acre of Maine Paper company land in Maine.

Oh, the land is still there, but the paper companies don't own it. A defeated army eaves a scorched land behind as they retreat. Large corporations do too. All of that former paper company land has conservation easements contaminating the land. Nobody will ever build a camp, home or saw mill on those lands. The environmental industry got what they wanted.
Warning. Malarkey alert. Unless you want to explain how the fictitious "environmental industry" cajoled the "paper companies" into selling off their property rights for a fat profit, "contaminating the land" with conservation easements (as opposed to dumping dioxins onto it, as they were "permitted" to do in the "good old days"), and moving their operations to $1.00/day labor countries, I call shenanigans. Malarkey. And I continue to laugh. I could tell you story about the West Branch and how GNP got a multi-gazillion dollar tax break for deeding THAT "contamination" over. And still got to collect the leases, cut wood, etc. Boy, have you got some serious conspiracy theory issues.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:00 PM

Maineac, I beg to differ. These ideas aren't NMLM's alone. If you eval the issues it really isn't accurate as you say. It is glaringly obvious that party affiliation alone is not to blame. But rather, shutting of of any gainful capitalism in this state does nothing to enhance economy. I'll stop there for now but you know where this goes,& who reduces gainful employment down to welfare recipients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: