Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 11:11 AM

89 posts, read 111,852 times

Advertisements

Well, thanks anyway, but we are only interested in the areas I mentioned and we want to be in town. If anyone has any pertinent information on those areas, it would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 11:30 AM

198 posts, read 209,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I go to many small maine towns and the real estate market (from what I hear) is getting better,,,we were saturated with forclosures/short sales and auctions

I personally thought after 9-11 their would be an exodus to maine for thousands of people who want to be in a more rural place to raise a family

ive talked to many new faces in the past 5 years who have said this.... to get out of the rat race of the cities and one guy who is a new member of our golf course,,moved here because he is fearful of the blow-ups in the cities... the random terrorist attacks , and he wants a place he can target practice on his property

Gee...hope I can find a house for same price range as poster....and for similar reasons as you state.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:08 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,251,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineac View Post
K means kilo, or 1000X, as in kilogram, or 1000 grams, or kilometer (1000 meters). M means thousandth, or 1/1000 as in a Millimeter is 1/1000 of a meter. Different people use different letters, so you got to be careful and read in context. The convention is MM means 1000 thousand, or million (or, more properly a "millionth"). So K would be correct by convention, but M (as in "mils" for your property tax mil rate) means 1/1000th as well. Now that I think it through, K would be the applicable letter (1000 x the number), because M would mean 1/1000th. But the convention has been that either $325M, or $325K means $325,000, while $325MM means million. So "K" multiplies and "M" divides. But "M" is never properly used to reference "million." Sorry, too much science education.

I attended a real estate appraisal yesterday (I had an appraiser's license in another life) and the appraiser was guardedly optimistic about the real estate market offering a "marketing period" of 3 to six months properly priced and gave some examples of some high priced stuff selling quickly for long dollah.
In a lot of professions, such as accounting, M (or m) means one thousand. It is from mille, Latin for one thousand. MM (or mm) is a thousand thousands or one million.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:40 PM

4,112 posts, read 6,489,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
There are thousands of these folks. They don't want to come here and change everything. We are on the cusp of being "discovered". There used to be a sign on the pike down near Kittery; "If you lived here, you would be home already."
Simmah down, I've been working on getting there for quite a bit.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:43 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,374,682 times
So are those kinda people good or bad to move to Maine?

Old 06-30-2016, 05:55 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,562,067 times
People who are into self sufficiency are welcome everywhere. They are the best citizens a community can have.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:24 PM

7,046 posts, read 8,865,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
In a lot of professions, such as accounting, M (or m) means one thousand. It is from mille, Latin for one thousand. MM (or mm) is a thousand thousands or one million.
When I was in the electrical field we used M for 1000 because it was 1000 in Roman numerals, for example when ordering wire. MM is 2000, MMXVI is the current year.

But back to real estate I have been watching home prices in Eastport for years, most will never get their asking price.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:22 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,562,067 times
The industry uses "time on market" as an indicator of the health of the market. That is a self serving number because it measures only those properties that have sold. It does no consider those listings that expire due to lack of demand or excessive prices on the property.

In the retail industry there is a value called "turnover". If a product like a cast iron skillet is in inventory of two years before it sells, what is the profit on that sale? The turnover number in real estate is called absorbtion. It is the rate of turnover or absorbtion of similar properties in a geographic market. This can be measured in an economic area like Farmington or Madawaska. Why did a property not sell?

Priced too high
Poor schools
Too much competition by similar properties
Property is in poor condition
General lack of demand
Poor job market
No hospital nearby
Lot size too small
Way overpriced compared to area homes

In order to legitimately evaluate a market, these other factors must be considered.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:48 AM

3,671 posts, read 7,359,721 times
To get back to the OP's original question...

The market has heated up and I would expect that inventory in Brunswick, Topsham and Bath will remain tight for the foreseeable future. The sub-$300K price range is very competitive so I would be prepared to act quickly if you find something you like.

Have you considered building new? There are some buildable lots in West Bath that you could put a modest home on and be in under $275K.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:55 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,374,682 times
Regarding Maine being "discovered" i will say that aside from the coast, i notice people in MA want to move to Maine alot less than they would want the rockies (all but ID/MT for potatoes and prarie), florida, or the southwest. Some parts of the coast as well, they seem alot less willing to move to, its mostly the coast around Portland. People here have heard of Bangor, but they consider it too small for their everyday needs, although there are a few (such as me), who consider it too populated.

I wouldnt worry about ME being discovered anytime soon to the degree of other states, although if that park gets passed i think there will be alot more people moving its general vicinity such the same as NW Wyoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine