U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 03:41 PM

406 posts, read 1,175,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Inspections: The problem with inspections is that the inspector has no real interest in the deal. Some inspectors do a drive by, and some do such a nitpicking job they may rob you of a sound home. My next door neighbor had an inspector check the house before he bought it. The inspector missed quite a bit. There was water damage around the windows, and wood damage in several areas of the house. The inspector missed all those problems. The owner was a bit miffed that his inspector missed these things. The house is only about 15 years old. All you can do is your level best. An inspector in Maine is probably an excellent idea if you are buying a house older than you are. Other than that, they may not turn up any more than what you can see with a good once over. Do not put all your eggs in a basket. Ask your inspector is he bonded and insured, if he sputters a bit, then most likely he is not. Remember, inspectors not bonded and insured can disappear like smoke. If you really want a guaranteed home inspection, get an inspection by a RPE or PE. Registered Professional Engineer that is. They have the training, and the backing to give you a certified inspection. The PE is not going to risk his license by performing less than an exhaustive home inspection. What is the price of peace of mind?

As everyone else has said, let me echo. buy title insurance, and make sure you are the beneficiary of the insurance, and not a financial institution.
On the subject of inspections...I feel my dad could have done as good if not better. Our inspector missed quite a lot in the house we're in.
Now the septic inspector REALLY saved us from buying a real headache. So for us that's one I wouldn't pass up on.

Title insurance (for me at least) goes without saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 03:45 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,400,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMar View Post
Although she built her own home before, I figured she wouldn't be rewiring the home herself or installing her own septic.
I'm not to sure about that. She sounds pretty versatile in her skills, highly motivated and I can personally attest to the fact that she is quite spunky!

Old 02-19-2008, 04:32 PM

2,712 posts, read 3,585,001 times
Quote:
You're right bignh, I didn't mean it to read that way. Star wouldn't want to do this unless she is planning on paying someone to upgrade the electrical and replace the septic anyway, which I was assuming she would do. Although she built her own home before, I figured she wouldn't be rewiring the home herself or installing her own septic. She would have to get estimates on these repairs after buying the house anyway. Sorry for any confusion, as I would never suggest "using" a contractor that way.
Re-wiring I CAN and will do... It is more of a pain in the rear than doing it in the first place... but is it do-able. Septic will be something that I would hire done, but likely later. Even a bare minimum system, something that "anyone else" would cause to overflow or back up almost instantly, is likely something we could keep going for a good long time, but would not, as I do understand the differences between the old and newer systems and the reasons for the changes.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
I'm not to sure about that. She sounds pretty versatile in her skills, highly motivated and I can personally attest to the fact that she is quite spunky!
I ain't THAT good with a backhoe (but I would love to learn)... digging leach field by hand doesn't excite me much, though... <g>

Old 02-19-2008, 06:03 PM

382 posts, read 781,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Re-wiring I CAN and will do... It is more of a pain in the rear than doing it in the first place... but is it do-able. Septic will be something that I would hire done, but likely later. Even a bare minimum system, something that "anyone else" would cause to overflow or back up almost instantly, is likely something we could keep going for a good long time, but would not, as I do understand the differences between the old and newer systems and the reasons for the changes.
Starwalker, you're my hero! Aside from replacing a switch, I won't touch wiring. Like you, I'd love to get ahold of a backhoe.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:27 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,497,096 times
Cape: you are probably right, a good wood butcher (carpenter) can really give you a great inspection, except for well and septic. If you have built homes for years, you know what one that is in need of repair looks like. My father could look at a floor and tell you if it was less than 1/4 inch out of level. He could site the framing on a house and tell if it was square. You don't need credentials to do a good inspection, but you do have to know your job. Inspectors are usually guys who didn't make it in the construction trade, and had to settle for criticizing someone elses work. Of course if you want a guarantee, hire a PE (Professional Engineer) to do your inspection.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Starwalker, you're my hero! Aside from replacing a switch, I won't touch wiring. Like you, I'd love to get ahold of a backhoe.
well, as I have said previously, my dad taught the building trades and worked in the industry every summer when school was out, and I was an "only son". I think he liked that we could share this kind of stuff (I spent many hours under cars with him too, but I like dealing with wood and houses much better than engines and cars, but I do that when I have to) as his other field was as a coach, and I was a "blue baby" and not allowed to play sports (beyond a little golf, which I was never very good at) or take PE in school, even.

I am not just a tomboy, though, as I got my German mom and grandma's love of cooking, sewing, needlework, etc. as well...

I am going to have an inspection, I guess... it is in the paperwork... just trying to settle on someone who can do it affordably and not get hung up in irrelevant superficial stuff, all of which will get changed anyway most likely.

I did get the chance to play with a backhoe once, and used a front-end loader to excavate the foundation for the home we built in CO. THAT was a trip... darn thing had a hydraulic fluid leak and could hardly pick up more dirt than I could in a shovel. LOL but that was when I was young a strong.

Last edited by starwalker; 02-20-2008 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: adding content

Old 02-21-2008, 05:13 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,400,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Cape: you are probably right, a good wood butcher (carpenter) can really give you a great inspection, except for well and septic. If you have built homes for years, you know what one that is in need of repair looks like. My father could look at a floor and tell you if it was less than 1/4 inch out of level. He could site the framing on a house and tell if it was square. You don't need credentials to do a good inspection, but you do have to know your job. Inspectors are usually guys who didn't make it in the construction trade, and had to settle for criticizing someone elses work. Of course if you want a guarantee, hire a PE (Professional Engineer) to do your inspection.
Good advice, but don't let an uneven floor, or a wall out of plumb deter you from buying it. My passion and occupation is in restoring old homes and none of them are plumb, level, or straight. I have had, on multiple occasions, been paid by more affluent folks, to build rooms out of level/square/plumb in keeping with the rest of their home.
I also do some contemporary building but it's not nearly as rewarding or fun.
Star, you really sound like you know what your talking about so have a look and go with your gut. If it was me I would have the systems I'm not overly familiar with looked at. Septic, heating. If I had any question about about the integrity of the structure itself I might consult with an structural engineer.

Some of the inspectors here that I recommend, have forgotten more about building than I'll ever know. They're just to old to swing a hammer all day anymore. Some of course are hacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine