Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 10:52 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMaine View Post
I was originally from NJ and lived in the midcoast area (Boothbay) for 16 years. Some years the winters are very mild with only a few storms. Two years ago we had a winter from hell. Many storms and it seemed we were digging out every few days. The piles at the end of the driveway got to be so high that they had to be shoveled off after every storm so I could see to pull out. Many times we had to shovel the roof.
Some roofs do need to be cleared. If a shingle roof is not steep enough you may get ice-dams. A lot of people have been shifting to metal roofs so it is not an issue.

Quote:
... I know many people that have retired to Maine, Lincoln County has the oldest population in the state. I also know quite a few who have regretted their decision and have moved south.
Like the discussion about age, some people age well and some people do not. Looking around at people my age, I see some who I would have guessed to be 20 years older. Some people like winters, some people do not. There are some who move South only to regret it, as there are some who move North to regret it.

Quote:
... We are now living in eastern NC and absolutely love it.Yes the summer days are mostly in the 90's but actually the humidity is not nearly as bad as I expected. I haven't worn long sleeves since I left Maine in March and probably won't until December.
We have good friends who used to post regularly on this forum, back when we were doing the monthly gatherings. They lived in Montana, then moved to NC for a few years and then decided to move to Maine. At one point they thought they wanted warmer weather, and later decided to go back to cooler temps.

I hope that you enjoy NC. I have never lived in NC. I have been stationed in Va, SC and Ga though.

Quote:
... Heating costs in Maine are high and it is mandatory that you have either generator or some type of backup heat like a woodstove. I will miss the woodstove but here we have a fireplace.
We have been averaging roughly $1500 for fuel per heating season. But we have a large home so it makes sense that we spend so much. I expect to see that number go down as we finish installing Active Solar Thermal.

Backup systems for the backup systems is a common motto among folks who live underwater

Every home in our town has at least one generator. We are kind of rural so our grid goes down frequently.

The OP is looking at Rockland, Bristol, Boothbay. I rather doubt the grid goes down much in that area.

Quote:
... Spend some time in Maine in the winter before you make a commitment ...
It is a good policy to always rent for a year first before you buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 12:35 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,351,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dch View Post
I love Maine and would like to retire there. I prefer rockland area or Bristol or boothbay.
Being near pen bay medical center a plus. All your needs can be met in rockland. My question is how bad are winters and how quick are they to clear roads etc. The Point is, can old folks get around? I've been to boothbay in Jan. But it was a mild winter, but most of my experience in summer. Also is it hard to find people to help out, plowing, etc (paid obviously)? My gut says retire in N.C. (I'm from new jersey), but my heart longs to Maine. My only on concern is winters. Any ideas???
Following this thread, as I'm in NJ and moving to Maine in 2018 or when my house here is sold - whichever comes first. I think we're going a bit North (or DownEast) of where you want to move. Winter and power is my biggest concern also, even tho i love Winter and the cold and snow, and we will be sure to have a generator. We will both be retired by then so wont have to go out on the roads much. Good Luck!

Old 07-21-2016, 04:07 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
its all in perspective my father is close to 80 lives in the Bristol area - he wont move anywhere else - he still lobster fishes - been doing it over 50 yrs.

yeah weather sucks once in a while in the winter but just be cautious - slow down while driving

Old 07-23-2016, 02:41 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
There are many people who have lived in Maine all of their lives who don't have generators and never had generators. Then there are others who have one and have never had to use it. (Some would say, "Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.") If you can afford one and it will give you peace of mind, you decide. I have a 91 yr old relative who has relied on a gas kitchen cook stove and wood stove for many years. She has never had a generator and I don't think she is concerned about not having one. Last winter was almost not a winter and the winter before was A LOT of winter. You could buy a Farmers' Almanac.

Old 07-23-2016, 04:10 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times
I disagree with LEAVING MAINE completely. I loved the winter of 2 years ago. Out on Mount Desert Island and into Ellsworth, the road crews clear the roads almost before the end of the storm.

I drive an awd Subaru and an AWD Pontiac Torrent, and the Subbie has Arctic Snow tires on it.

I use a snow blower and blow the snow far away from the drive way. I heat with wood and am toasty all year long on about $900 a year, even when its -10. I moved here to get away from everything that he loves in NC and in PA.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:23 PM

55 posts, read 98,839 times
Yes, some people do love winter but I am one that doesn't love it anymore. We are not near retirement but didn't want to deal with snow related issues any more. We used a monitor for daytime heating while we were away at work but got that woodstove on right when we got home. We lived in an area where the power would frequently go out. I don't think the road crews in my area did a very good job. I had lived in Vermont prior to Maine and the road crews there were outstanding.

To get the feel of a new place you need to spend alot of time there in all different weather to see what it is really like. Subscribe to the paper and get a feel for the local economy and real estate market.

We researched every aspect of our new town and made many trips down to NC before selling our house. The temp does drop below freezing several times here in the short winter so we will have a brief reminder of winter.

I just knew so many people who didn't do their research and the winter was much harder than they expected.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:27 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
LeavingMaine -

I wish you luck in your future adventures.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:36 AM

7,043 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Is Maine weather comparable to Minnesota weather? Just wondering.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:17 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMaine View Post
Yes, some people do love winter but I am one that doesn't love it anymore. We are not near retirement but didn't want to deal with snow related issues any more. We used a monitor for daytime heating while we were away at work but got that woodstove on right when we got home. We lived in an area where the power would frequently go out. I don't think the road crews in my area did a very good job. I had lived in Vermont prior to Maine and the road crews there were outstanding.

To get the feel of a new place you need to spend alot of time there in all different weather to see what it is really like. Subscribe to the paper and get a feel for the local economy and real estate market.

We researched every aspect of our new town and made many trips down to NC before selling our house. The temp does drop below freezing several times here in the short winter so we will have a brief reminder of winter.

I just knew so many people who didn't do their research and the winter was much harder than they expected.

everyone has opinions,,,

last year was the mildest winter I can remember,,

and if this global warming has any truth to it,,,this will continue to be even more milder and easier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine