Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 05:04 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,093,189 times

Advertisements

Ellsworth is the fast growing city in Maine. Its only 30 minutes fro Acadia National park, there are beaches there and in Lamoine(both salt and fresh). Also Ellsworth has a pretty good school system. You are close to Bangor if you want serious shopping and if you want the culture of two universities.

We live on MDI(Acadia National Park---Mount Desert Island) but we do all our shopping in Ellsworth and very occasionally, in Bangor(2x a year about).

And if you want to be out in the sticks, you can be very very quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 07:54 AM

209 posts, read 291,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wme View Post
Do you know if there is also a state run Department of Developmental Disabilities or something similar to that name? I work for the state now in MA and would like to continue that work. (I am looking into transfers etc with the company I am with now to see if it is possible to transfer all my leave time, years employed and so on) but I want to make sure there is something like it. Thank you!
What you're asking for is part of our Department of Health and Human Services. There are various agencies within DHHS that may have positions that would be of interest to you. To see what positions may be available, go to this link: State Jobs: Maine Bureau of Human Resources. Check out the direct hire and the open competitive positions. You'll see the jobs available, their job descriptions, and the rate of pay. Coming from Massachusetts, be prepared for a steep cut in pay if you were to look at public sector employment in Maine.

In considering a small town to live in, you may also want to think about the corrections job you were asking about in another post as well. Right now, the Maine Department of Corrections is hiring. They've been running ads on local radio stations for some time, much like the Department of Transportation has been. We have two state facilities located in Warren and Windham. Your choice of facility would determine where you'd probably want to live. In addition, if you were to opt for a DHHS job, you would need to take into account which town/city the DHHS position is located in relation to the corrections facility. Those two factors together will help determine where you'd likely be living.

I know the answer is kind of vague in regards to where you may want to live. Most DHHS positions are located in one of the offices in Augusta. However, the state does have regional offices in various cities and towns throughout the state. If, say, you chose a job within DHHS that was located in Greenville, that would also put you out of reach of the corrections position.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:37 PM

155 posts, read 194,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wme View Post
We would really like a small town with a lower number of residents. We want to stay out of the large tourist towns.
In Maine if you want a small town the schools are for the most part going to be terrible.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:47 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,093,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywolf81 View Post
In Maine if you want a small town the schools are for the most part going to be terrible.
It takes tax money to run public schools properly. If the taxes are low, then the school can't hire the best teachers or pay for the best programs, and since 85% of public education is mandated special ed etc by the Federal Government, not much is left for kids who are not special.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:15 AM

1,874 posts, read 2,857,199 times
Check out Maine.gov for employment opportunities. http://www.maine.gov/portal/employment/jobs.html

... might want to broaden your search... correctional officer... state trooper.... police officer ... game warden... http://maine.gov/corrections/Career/index.shtml

http://www.indeed.com/salary/q-Polic...r-l-Maine.html scroll down and click

Old 07-31-2016, 12:14 PM

536 posts, read 838,945 times
I don't live in Maine but my sister is a teacher there. She has told me, and I just confirmed in a quick search online, that very small Maine towns that do not have a public school system provide vouchers so that the town's students can attend a public school nearby or a private school in the town. I believe this is true of Alna and Edgecomb in the area where my sister lives but the search suggested it was available across the state.

My quick search turned up an interesting detail: the voucher program has been in force since 1873.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:59 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,857,199 times
The notion that the "best" teachers always or usually work in the "highest paid school systems" is just not true IMO.

Also, there are numerous Maine towns that do not have a high school and students can choose from high schools in surrounding areas.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:38 AM

19,959 posts, read 30,011,147 times
Quote:

that's an assinine thing to say a slap in the face to all the small town teachers in maine

I went to a small town school and liked it very much

Old 08-07-2016, 09:23 AM

6,613 posts, read 13,457,325 times
Quote:
My daughter went to a three-room, multi-grade elementary school. There were six kids in her grade. She graduated high school with a semester of college finished, in a class of 52. She had free rides to two colleges she turned down. She attended a college with 500 students and had a full time job with excellent benefits before graduation. She graduated on a Saturday, moved on Sunday, went to work Monday. That's not terrible. Small schools served her well.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:30 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,287,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
that's an assinine thing to say a slap in the face to all the small town teachers in maine

I went to a small town school and liked it very much
Well stated !
The teachers here spend a lot more time with each students than in the larger schools, and are highly backed up by the whole community. There is a great deal to be said for the smaller, home town schools !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine