Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 02:47 PM

406 posts, read 1,654,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbets View Post
Those railroad tracks near the little seafood restaurant almost got me, beautiful downtown Readfield
Oh I pass those daily...compared to the tracks on Plains Rd. that feels like a freshly paved road. What a winter we're having!

At least we'll get a little bit of bragging rights for our first winter here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 06:30 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
I have been told that wrapping a post or piling in two layers of trash-bag before setting it into the ground, may have an effect on minimizing how much it heaves up out of the ground.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:22 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,090 times
Try riding a motorcycle on a dirt road with heave. It is a religious experience. If you don't have religion and you survive, you will have it. BTW, heave is not just common to the NE, we have it in Tennessee also. We call it crunch. You walk, you crunch on the ground, you drive, and you hold on for dear life.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:49 AM

380 posts, read 1,178,312 times
Maine4, I suppose I just haven't noticed it in TN. I guess it just takes many more years to heave a fence post up or create paved road problems. I always though those huge bumps in unpaved roads were from rain runoff/erosion. Makes sense that it's frost heave as well.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:33 AM

406 posts, read 1,654,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have been told that wrapping a post or piling in two layers of trash-bag before setting it into the ground, may have an effect on minimizing how much it heaves up out of the ground.
hmmm...we're putting in a little wooden fence around our patio and I'm thinking about trying this. Can't hurt right? Thanks for the tip Forest.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodder View Post
hmmm...we're putting in a little wooden fence around our patio and I'm thinking about trying this. Can't hurt right? Thanks for the tip Forest.
I have seen it recommended a lot for doing a 'pole-barn' type of structure.

If you are going to drop each pole into concrete, instead of filling a hole with loose concrete, use a round cardboard form [called a sonotube] to form the concrete and wrap it in multiple layers of trash bags. Then once you have the rows of poles standing up, you can do rafters, walls and seal it in.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:43 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,664,202 times
I put in a fence for a turkey pen setting it in 6 inches of concrete just below the ground in an effort to keep coyotes at bay. It kept the coyotes out but the frost heaved that concrete right out of the ground after the first winter. I reburied it every spring and it lasted as long as I needed it to. I should have gone deeper buy there was no way I was going to set fence below thw frost line.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:15 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,090 times
Question: How deep is the frost line? Also, if the heave can do that to highways, what about concrete foundations of houses? How deep does a Maine foundation have to be?

Old 02-20-2008, 02:33 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,239,173 times
The frost line varies depending on where you are in the state. Along the coast, 3 1/2- 4 feet. Inland it is deeper.
A maine foundation has standard sizes. The usual form is 8 feet tall. They don't have to fill it all the way to the top. Head room in a basement is a good thing.

Up at UMO, they once poured a large concrete block to use as a stable point of reference for one of the ballfields. When they came back and did some checking a couple of years later, they found that the block of concrete(4' x 4' or so) had heaved. they couldn't use it for the bench mark afterall. This was mentioned by Dick Hill on Hot and Cold.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Question: How deep is the frost line? Also, if the heave can do that to highways, what about concrete foundations of houses? How deep does a Maine foundation have to be?
I was told that Penobscot code requires four feet to get under the frost line.

Our site-work contractors insisted that we place freshwater pipes at below four feet and cover them with styrofoam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine