U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:30 PM

50 posts, read 175,426 times

Advertisements

Well hopefully there are some realtors or legal types on this forum that may be able to answer a question. I am working on aquiring 4 acres of property from a realitive, however there is a tax lien on the entire 40 acres of property. Can that realitive sell me the 4 acres of property while there is a lien on the property or will that have to be paid ahead of time. They are basically selling me the property to pay the back taxes. I am going to consult a lawyer before the sale to make sure all the i's are dotted and t's crossed but wanted some quick advice if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 05:39 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,507,482 times
The tax lien will have to be cleared before title to the land can be transferred. It can be a simultaneous transaction, but the taxing authority gets satisfied first.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:05 PM

That is what I was thinking myself, and confirms what I have found online. I just could not find anything about Maine specifically. The tax amount is rather small in comparison to the land value I will just have to make something work.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:41 PM

30,648 posts, read 49,325,799 times
Back taxes are commonly less than the market value of the land.

I have never done this however, it may be possible to pay the back taxes on the property, and file for the deed yourself, depending upon how many years the previous owner was behind in their taxes.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:55 PM

9,768 posts, read 14,911,723 times
The town will give you a quit claim deed for their interest on the land. If the owner can't pay a little tax bill there is a high probability that there are other liens on the property. I have seen properties where the total amount of liens far exceeded the valur of the property. That's why a prudent buyer has a title search done and buys title insurance.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:56 PM

30,648 posts, read 49,325,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
The town will give you a quit claim deed for their interest on the land. If the owner can't pay a little tax bill there is a high probability that there are other liens on the property. I have seen properties where the total amount of liens far exceeded the valur of the property. That's why a prudent buyer has a title search done and buys title insurance.
Good advice as always.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:53 PM

Great advice! I will do that.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 4,578 times
Default land tax lien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
The tax lien will have to be cleared before title to the land can be transferred. It can be a simultaneous transaction, but the taxing authority gets satisfied first.
can land be sold to you with tax lien already on it

Old 01-19-2010, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 4,578 times
i had land sold to me with several tax liens on it already is this legal and what can i do about it .when land was sold to us we were not aware of the tax lien and the seller never told us about the liens either we found out on our own what can i legally do about it. now the seller is to take back the land

Old 01-19-2010, 11:06 AM

1,833 posts, read 4,395,002 times
When a title search is done, all outstanding liens will be discovered (hopefully). All liens need to paid by somebody prior to the title being transferred. As somebody else mentioned, title insurance is very important to cover any errors during the process. It might be worth paying for a preliminary title search prior to writing your offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine