Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2016, 09:34 AM

15 posts, read 27,497 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are potentially looking at relocated to the South Portland, Maine area through a job relocation. We are currently in North NJ in a small town with a very good school system and would like to find a similar type of environment. Currently in a 4 bedroom 2k square foot home. The plan would be to rent during the first year and then buy. We have 2 children in elementary school. The position would be in South Portland near the jetport. The most important factors for us would be school system, safety and convenience.

Thanks in advance for any advice or feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 03:43 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,076 times
You have lots of choices, although inventory is down which is putting an upward pressure on prices. Does the company moving you to Maine have relocation benefits and if so, is there a deadline on when you can use them?

Old 08-12-2016, 05:23 PM

404 posts, read 777,637 times
If your position is by the jetport you have lots of options as far as commute goes.
There are good schools all around and prices and taxes will seem about normal to you if your coming from North Jersey.
I might suggest spending some time on google maps and looking around on where you want to live. Do you want to be by the beach? in the country. You could reasonably look as far north as freeport & cumberland, or as far south as Kennebunk (all have good schools) You could go over to Southportland/cape elizabeth or as far west for lake living like Wyndham, standish or raymond. You won't find they typical North jersey small town, but you'll find a small neighborhood feel here and there if that makes sence.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:55 AM

15 posts, read 27,497 times
I've yet to receive the offer so I'm not sure of the relocation details. Are you saying that the homes are currently overpriced and it may make sense to sit on the sidelines? We were thinking of just renting for a year to see how everything goes first and then buy if we think we'll be there for a while. However, we'd like to keep the kids in the same school district if we decided to buy. Areas we looked at are Falmouth, Cumberland Foreside, I was actually pretty surprised the home prices were and I definitely noticed a big jump the last few years. We don't need to be by the beach. Just looking for a community type environment with some level of convenience for essential shopping, etc.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:58 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Cape Elizabeth would get my vote.

Old 08-14-2016, 02:12 PM

404 posts, read 777,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Cape Elizabeth would get my vote.
I agree but i'm biased, since I live here. Cape has a rep for being expensive, but not every thing in cape is expensive. Taxes have a lower mil rate than South Portland, and Cumberland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine