U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 11:30 AM

2 posts, read 3,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
I got two bottle dumps on me, one maybe covers 5 acres tops, while the other is just a celler hole from an inn during the 1800's. I've rooted around in them some, but to be honest with you, as much fun as it was, I just don't have the time. In any case, I always look for the red ones, I heard they were made from gold flake to get the red color, but not sure if it is true or not?
It is a true fact about the old red bottles... They did but gold flakes in them to get the red...I read an article in one of the old vintage bottle websites. That is why you see red bottles going for more money. When i go digging and look for sea glass in the midcoast area in Maine, i also look for the red ones... Hard to find, but nice when you do find one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 12:28 PM

885 posts, read 1,238,459 times
I love old bottle dumps! Haven't stumbled accross any here yet tho.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:21 PM

9,777 posts, read 14,957,778 times
"The water used to cover Marginal Way on a moon tide."

Boston used to be an island. The road across Charlestown Neck was usually covered at any high tide. The road was built up over time and then Back Bay was filled in. It's all land now.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:34 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,455,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
"The water used to cover Marginal Way on a moon tide."

Boston used to be an island. The road across Charlestown Neck was usually covered at any high tide. The road was built up over time and then Back Bay was filled in. It's all land now.
What does this have to do with bottle dumps???

Old 05-08-2011, 09:49 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,252,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
That area by the tennis courts was a dump of sorts right into the 60's. Many don't realize that all of the land the highway runs on is fill. The water used to cover Marginal Way on a moon tide. I remember seeing cars flooded at Haverty Buick from high tides that washed over the road to three feet of more. That area of Deering Oaks used to be alot closer to the bay and there was no one looking at it from an elevated highway. They buried it when they built the highway and seeded it. I'm not sure when the tennis courts were built. Most likely around the time the fields were put in.
Makes sense that Deering Oaks used to be closer to the Bay. Wonder how long it will take for nature to take back the fill......couple of generations?

Old 05-09-2011, 03:23 PM

9,777 posts, read 14,957,778 times
Wow, what I found in my bottle dump! I found a 1964 Ford Galaxie, a Plymouth Savoy made around 1953 and a 1957 Ford 4 door hardtop. All but one piece of window glass is good in the Ford. I wonder what a rear quarter window is worth? I also found an ancient GM vehicle. It looks like it was a pickup. On the firewall is a name plate in stainless steel that says, "Body by Fisher" and it looks like it was made last week, not 80 years ago. There are bottles among those old vehicles. The first two vehicles are over 2 tons of scrap metal. I think I'll put the 57 Ford on line. The glass could be worth more than the Plymouth Savoy.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:38 AM

5,677 posts, read 6,777,101 times
I have several spots here, on the perimeter of the field, with piles of bricks and assorted crap. I haven't looked through them too seriously. I could be wrong, but I was thinking that they are the remains of old houses. Maybe I'll have to take a harder look.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:10 PM

11 posts, read 22,834 times
My 8 year old son found one on our condo property in NH last fall...he and a neighbor friend went on a treasure hunt and sure enough came back with an old bottle and several broken pieces of hotel china...they took me to the spot where they found their treasures and it definitely was an old dump - possibly connected to the grand hotel that sat on the property many years ago...we definitely plan on bringing some tools with us this spring to do a little more exploring...as I've noticed areas in the woods that are littered with broken glass...might be fun to have a few souvenirs that are connected to the past...

Old 05-10-2011, 08:38 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,455,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Wow, what I found in my bottle dump! I found a 1964 Ford Galaxie, a Plymouth Savoy made around 1953 and a 1957 Ford 4 door hardtop. All but one piece of window glass is good in the Ford. I wonder what a rear quarter window is worth? I also found an ancient GM vehicle. It looks like it was a pickup. On the firewall is a name plate in stainless steel that says, "Body by Fisher" and it looks like it was made last week, not 80 years ago. There are bottles among those old vehicles. The first two vehicles are over 2 tons of scrap metal. I think I'll put the 57 Ford on line. The glass could be worth more than the Plymouth Savoy.
There were two old model T Fords down back where our bottle dumps are. Wooden spoke wheels and the whole nine yards. My FIL buried them a few years ago. He ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer if you know what I mean. We found some nice bottles out there . Even some rare red and blue ones.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:21 AM

885 posts, read 1,238,459 times
Check out dumpdiggers.com online....pretty cool if your into bottle dumps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine