U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 04:26 AM

10,243 posts, read 16,228,403 times

Advertisements

I had to Google "Cthulhu". Now I wish I had not. About a month ago I Googled Hentai. I wish I had not Googled that either. Google is not always your friend.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 05:17 AM

13,508 posts, read 12,401,233 times
Please remember that this is the Maine forum, not the national Politics forum.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:10 AM

3,926 posts, read 3,316,828 times
Ok.

Last edited by slyfox2; 09-28-2016 at 07:45 AM..

Old 09-28-2016, 11:57 AM

The biggest hassle with politicians like LePage(and those at the national level like him) is that while he may be a refreshing boldfaced straight talker on the campaign trail, the business of government is quite different.

And so making bold faced blunt statements that are flashy and showy may get you a win, when it comes to the boring everyday making the trains run on time of everyday government, they just can't do it. And so, because they never liked that aspect of their work, they are always causing excitement and conflagrations since they simply don't know how to govern.

You see this all the time in revolutions where the general takes over as the head of government. They were great at battle, but when they have to actually work with others they cannot. They expect everyone else to do exactly what they order, like when they were the General. And so, many revolutions that were started by generals to be democracies for the people turn into dictatorships.

In a trenched democracy like ours, it turns into gridlock. The opposition that the person in power needs so much to get things done---refuse to cooperate with the new dictator who won't work with them and tries to order them around. LePage was the General manager of a company that is on the edge of consumer operations. They buy big lots of lots of stuff, and have to keep looking for it. Go to Mardens and one day they have something and the next week they don't. Its probably exciting looking for new deals all the time.

But Mardens is not a department store like Walmart which has a stock of stuff. And so LePage never really had to learn how to work with regular suppliers on an everyday basis. And so, while he was great on the campaign trail, he has no idea how to make things work when other people have as much or more power than him.

I fear that this could be the same on the national level too.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:10 AM

6,485 posts, read 7,580,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I'm betting that if I was "refreshing" when I talked to you one-to-one, you'd punch my lights out. Suppose I called you on the phone got your answering machine, and left you a message with all the obscenities in it like he did? I'm betting that you wouldn't say, "Oh I loved his call. It was so refreshing and honest".
I'd be less bothered than you might think. In my various jobs over the years I have been in contact with all levels of society, from street people and carnies to high-level business people and politicians, all levels of military, government and business. I can put on grungy clothes and eat at a soup kitchen, or a snazzy suit and silk tie and eat at the Ritz and in either case you'd think I belonged there. I can mix with rank-and-file Teamsters and hold my own at a corporate Board meeting. I can fit in with Hell's Angels or play a lawyer in court. I'm no stranger to either vulgarity/profanity or silver-tongued double-speak.

Frankly, I think there are times when some people *need* to be told flat out "You're an idiot, go [bleep] yourself."

I don't agree with everything everyone says, on a state or national level, or everything they do. But I think that we need to upset the status quo, to send the message that we are tired of 'business as usual' and we aren't going to take it anymore. We need to shake things up, and this way is better than throwing another civil war.

Sure, there's going to be some noses out of joint, hurt feelings and whatnot, but there are moderating influences in place that will limit the damage.

Someone on another part of this forum recently sent me a message full of hateful invective, I actually thought it was pretty funny and told him so. I doubt that was the response he was expecting and I suspect he was more than a little disappointed that I didn't respond in kind (I think his intent was to provoke me into responding in a way that would get me banned). If that's the way he feels, no problem, I'm a big boy, I can handle it.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Someone on another part of this forum recently sent me a message full of hateful invective, I actually thought it was pretty funny and told him so. I doubt that was the response he was expecting and I suspect he was more than a little disappointed that I didn't respond in kind (I think his intent was to provoke me into responding in a way that would get me banned). If that's the way he feels, no problem, I'm a big boy, I can handle it.
I always considered you to be a pretty smart guy. But with the above statement that has changed dramatically.

Now I consider you to be a freakin' GENIUS! Great to hear you say that!

Old 10-01-2016, 09:22 AM

6,933 posts, read 4,841,754 times
Now and then I make phone calls to legislators from all over the state. On more than one occasion I have been screamed at by Dem politicians for civilly asking questions or giving an opinion......I have also had Dem lawmakers promise me confidentiality when discussing governmental issues, then turn around and try to destroy my career in a ruthless effort to silence people they don't agree with.
So I come at the LePage "controversies" with a bit of skepticism....

Old 10-05-2016, 01:13 PM

792 posts, read 1,175,658 times
I had a chance a while back to meet the governor. It was totally by chance and had no clue who I was speaking to...he introduced himself as Paul...and never once dropped a hint who he actually was. Our chat was short, pleasant and quite entertaining. He was very "straight up" and spoke his mind. After I walked away, another guy said.."well how do you like our governor"...I was in shock...I thought the guy was a blue collar, possible dock worker.....I liked the guy .....!

Old 10-05-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Now and then I make phone calls to legislators from all over the state. On more than one occasion I have been screamed at by Dem politicians for civilly asking questions or giving an opinion......I have also had Dem lawmakers promise me confidentiality when discussing governmental issues, then turn around and try to destroy my career in a ruthless effort to silence people they don't agree with.
So I come at the LePage "controversies" with a bit of skepticism....
None of that has ever happened to me. My democratic rep actually visited my house to talk about my issues, and everyone one else in the district he is responsible. And i got a personal note from him.

Old 10-11-2016, 07:44 AM

16,042 posts, read 20,152,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Change 'Trump' to 'Hillary' and the 'He's to 'She's and it would still be correct.

I am not saying either one is better than the other.

We are faced with multiple evils, I can not tell which is the lesser evil. The only evil I would consider a greater evil would be Cthulhu.

I am career military, so obviously I am dead set against the Clintons. But Trump is a shock-jock like Howard Stern, that is no background for leadership.
Noam Chomsky: The Argument Against Voting Third Party in the Upcoming Election
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine