U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-24-2008, 08:36 AM

2,435 posts, read 2,883,989 times
It would be disastrous for a pony or a goat to get off the trail. The snow is very deep when not on the trails.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 08:41 AM

1,389 posts, read 2,422,019 times
General question regarding the snowmachine trail system(s) in Maine. Are those same trails open to motorcycle/atv riding the rest of the year? Curious to know what the licensing/registration requirements are for OHVs out there.

Here in CO, having a USFS sticker allows me to access approved trails on public land. Having a street-legal dirt bike (plated) overrides the sticker and allows me to ride both public roads and trails.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:59 AM

5,826 posts, read 5,992,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Speaking of which, are the ITS trails strictly limited to snowmobilers or is it acceptable to be in a pony or goat sleigh?
It's just a general question. "Yes" or "no" would answer it.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:09 AM

12,146 posts, read 21,279,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
General question regarding the snowmachine trail system(s) in Maine. Are those same trails open to motorcycle/atv riding the rest of the year? Curious to know what the licensing/registration requirements are for OHVs out there.

Here in CO, having a USFS sticker allows me to access approved trails on public land. Having a street-legal dirt bike (plated) overrides the sticker and allows me to ride both public roads and trails.

No most are not open during the summer to ORV's. A lot of the trails cross farm land, and they take kind of a narrow view of people driving on their freshly planted crops . That being said though, there are thousands of miles of trails and roads that criss-cross the North Maine Woods. You can drive for hours and hours and never see another person, or vehicle. Just be sure to ask where they are hauling logs from and to, so you are not on one of the main roads the loggers haul down. If you have never met a logging truck that literally DOES own the road coming at you with a 12-15' wide load on doing 60MPH down a dirt road, you can wring your adrenal glands dry before you get out of the way.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:21 PM

8,748 posts, read 11,236,087 times
Quote:
exactly the reason I am so smitten with donkeys, ponies and goats. No mechanical breakdown issues.
True... but I have never had to worry about feeding my motorcycles and snowmobiles at o' dark thirty every day and have never had to shovel up any "unburnt fuel" from them either!!

Old 02-24-2008, 07:48 PM

5,826 posts, read 5,992,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
True... but I have never had to worry about feeding my motorcycles and snowmobiles at o' dark thirty every day and have never had to shovel up any "unburnt fuel" from them either!!
hey, hey now. No hitting below the belt.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
hey, hey now. No hitting below the belt.
Nothing but the facts mam! (all in jest of course!)

Old 02-24-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post

Shuffler I am a dirtbike lover too. Maine's snowmobile trails are strictly for snowmobiles. Even if you could legally access them you would be hard pressed to ride any great distance on them. Many of the snowmobile trails go through marshes and swamps which are totally inaccessible until the ground and water in them freeze. We're talking about snorkel territory here. Snowmobile clubs spend a lot of time securing land owner permission for their trails. The State Legislature backs the snowmobilers 110% with legislation absolving landowners of liabilitiy if a snowmobiler is injured on their land. The snowmobile clubs are also funded through the state via collection of registration fees and their own club dues. The State pays these clubs to maintain the trails and keep the landowners happy. Snowmobiling is far and away the biggest revenue generating outdoor activity in Maine.
Years ago when there were just a handful of single track motorcycles occasionally using the snowmobile trails no one really cared. The single track motorcycle did little if any damage to the established snowmobile trail and there were so few around they were for the most part ignored. Enter the ATV.
Three and four wheeled ATV's showed up on the scene and nearly ruined access for the snowmobilers. Landowners hated the destruction caused to their land by these machines. Snowmobilers hate them. Every trail I have been on this winter is plastered with NO ATV signs every mile or so! ATV riders thought since they paid to register their machines with the State they were entitled to the same trail system the snowmobilers enjoyed. They couldn't have been more wrong. In fact I firmly believe the State Legislature would have banned outright three and four wheel ATV's completely if the ATV owners had not banded together in an effort to stop the restriction on them.(wouldn't have hurt my feelings any) The State still enacts tighter and tighter laws for ATV's every year. Just last year they passed a law banning ATV's from any land without written permission unless it is a marked ATV trail. You have to have the written permission on your person if a warden or police officer ask for it. Failure to produce that permission is a $500 fine now. Unfortunately along the way the single track motorcycle got lumped in with the three and four wheelers and are subject to the same restrictions as they are. There are good riding opportunities for dual sport registered street legal bikes here in Maine without riding on the snowmobile trails. There are a number of old railroad right of ways where the tracks have been removed that are very good places to ride. The ATV 's are becoming a stronger voice in recent years and the State has responded by opening up areas for dual use or just ATV's. I believe an ATV is a great thing to use hauling wood or a deer ON YOUR OWN LAND. Beyond that I don't care for them....Can you tell??

Old 02-24-2008, 09:47 PM

337 posts, read 1,028,796 times
Sorry, but I hate snowmobiles and ATV's. They stink. they make a lot of noise. They scare animals and basically ruin it for anyone one else trying to enjoy nature. I wish to got their were more laws against them. Around where I live, so many of them go on conservation area where they are not allowed to go. They really don't seem to give a damn.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:04 PM

[quote=carrot juice;2935004]Sorry, but I hate snowmobiles and ATV's. They stink. they make a lot of noise. They scare animals and basically ruin it for anyone one else trying to enjoy nature. I wish to got their were more laws against them. Around where I live, so many of them go on conservation area where they are not allowed to go. They really don't seem to give a damn.[/QUOTE

Well you have about 200,000 people and 90% of the State Legislature against you around here. As far as animals go, the deer and moose would probably argue on the side of the snowmobilers. The trails are the only packed areas around in the winter where these animals can walk without being up to their bellies in snow. Ask the 30 or so cross country skiers I saw on the snowmobile trails this past weekend where they would be accessing nature if not for the snowmobile trails. Like any group you will have the ones who trespass where they're not allowed, and yes some of them don't give a damn. Though for a group of over 200,000, snowmobilers are fairly self-policing.
I don't think got is granting any more wishes these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine