Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 04:21 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times

Advertisements

Moose Season is Open. I did not enter the lottery this year. My moose hunting buddy is not well. I was drawn twice in the past and with just the two of us here at the house we have proven that we cannot eat a whole moose in one year. It freezes well and will keep for a really long time.

If somebody gets drawn in the moose lottery it is like being drafted into the army. It is your patriotic duty to shoot a moose. We have way too many moose in Maine. The state publishes moose hit maps showing where the highest risk roads are. Little country two lane roads and I-95 are equally dangerous.

Last year a driver pulled in at Smith's Store in Springfield to fill his truck. He looked out back and there was a moose standing there at the edge of the woods. The driver went into the store and said, "OK if I shoot that moose out back?" The owner said it was OK so the driver went out got his rifle and dropped the moose, put the nozzle back on the pump and backed away from the pump. The store owner fired up his skidder and moved the moose into the woods. The hunter dressed out the moose and they moved the moose to the scale for weighing.

Stop in.
Shoot moose.
Gas up.
Register moose.
Go home.

Are there other places in our fine republic where this could happen? I can't think of any. Maybe in northern Idaho or Alaska this could happen. You can gift moose meat to your friends, relatives and neighbors. Your name must appear on each package.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 05:03 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
I put my name in every year, swear I'm not wasting my money on the lottery again next year, and then I do it anyway. There's a bull in my backyard and food plot often. It couldn't get much more convenient. Some day...maybe...I hope. We're fortunate to have a friend who can hunt every year and shares with us, but it's not like having a whole moose for sausages and jerky as well as the typical cuts.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:43 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Moose Season is Open. I did not enter the lottery this year. My moose hunting buddy is not well. I was drawn twice in the past and with just the two of us here at the house we have proven that we cannot eat a whole moose in one year. It freezes well and will keep for a really long time.

If somebody gets drawn in the moose lottery it is like being drafted into the army. It is your patriotic duty to shoot a moose. We have way too many moose in Maine. The state publishes moose hit maps showing where the highest risk roads are. Little country two lane roads and I-95 are equally dangerous.

Last year a driver pulled in at Smith's Store in Springfield to fill his truck. He looked out back and there was a moose standing there at the edge of the woods. The driver went into the store and said, "OK if I shoot that moose out back?" The owner said it was OK so the driver went out got his rifle and dropped the moose, put the nozzle back on the pump and backed away from the pump. The store owner fired up his skidder and moved the moose into the woods. The hunter dressed out the moose and they moved the moose to the scale for weighing.

Stop in.
Shoot moose.
Gas up.
Register moose.
Go home.

Are there other places in our fine republic where this could happen? I can't think of any. Maybe in northern Idaho or Alaska this could happen. You can gift moose meat to your friends, relatives and neighbors. Your name must appear on each package.
Maine has the highest density of Moose per sq mile (including alaska), and it has the highest number of the beasts in the lower 48. Alaska does have more moose overall, but they are spread out much thinner. Their lower population and the lack of success due to the low moose density allow the state to give most people a tag or two for moose, similar to how Maine and other states assign deer tags.

As well if im correct idaho only allows you to win their lottery once in your life, or its every 10-15 years. One of those is ID, the other is MT, but i am not sure which.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:13 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Here he is.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:28 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,530 times
I would love some meat from a 2 year old moose. I will swing by to pick it up if you have some to spare.

Seriously though .. I am jealous. The area I live in now in Nova Scotia has absolutely no moose (and until recently even deer were scarce for some reason), but, not far from me, on Cape Breton Island, they are swarming with them. They were transplanted there a number of years ago, can't get off the island and apparently think it is a vacation haven they want to keep for themselves .. they are multiplying like rabbits I am told.

Good luck to those who are hunting this season.

Nice pic, Maine Writer. Can't rep you again but I would if I could.

Old 09-29-2016, 11:53 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Got an any moose permit in 2012 in zone 26. Had help from 2 guides, other hunters and a game warden....didn't see a moose, plenty of sign. that was after applying every year since the moose lottery was open to non residents.

One sunday I went scouting with another bowhunter who had a trail cam by his deer stand. A cow came by 8 minutes before we checked the cam. So moose were there.

Hunted every day dawn to darkfor 4 weeks or so, scouting on Sundays...not too many moose walking around Acadia and Blue Hill. They are there all right but....

I hunt with traditional archery gear.

Friend from Bangor sent me the article about the pre hunt, moose hunt in broccoli county.

Penobscot Nation also has a moose hunt.

I still apply but in another 30 something years I'll be a decade past my prime and probably enjoying a moose hunt in the happy hunting grounds.

Really don''t want to shoot a Canada moose.

VT has a special archery season for moose that allows bowhunters to get a good shot when the moose are active and coming to calls, would be nice if ME followed VT's example.

Oh well, I'll get a moose with trad archery gear when God decides.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:15 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Charlie Hamel, a local guide had a client shoot a moose this week. They picked up the rack today and the brain was still in it. I went in to Raymonds Variety and congratulated Charlie with, "Moose brains and eggs for breakfast tomorrow." Some ladies fled the building. They may not sleep tonight. Their view of the world and Maine may have been altered permanently.

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 09-29-2016 at 04:30 PM..

Old 10-05-2016, 11:22 PM

810 posts, read 851,839 times
How does moose taste? I have never had it. I love elk and deer.

If there are so many why is there a lottery? Just asking. I don't know a lot about hunting, only ever deer hunted but did not have a doe licence. This was in PA. I think all I had to do was show hunter safety card and paid whatever the fee was. Not sure n the hunter safety since I was over 18 when I went hunting.

I would love to shoot some moose with my camera

Old 10-06-2016, 08:20 AM

565 posts, read 935,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post

If there are so many why is there a lottery? Just asking. I don't know a lot about hunting, only ever deer hunted but did not have a doe licence. This was in PA. I think all I had to do was show hunter safety card and paid whatever the fee was. Not sure n the hunter safety since I was over 18 when I went hunting.

There is only so many compared to other states, really not that many in the big grand scheme of things. Our moose population was almost eliminated completely because of unrestricted hunting in the past.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:10 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
It's good. If you like elk and white-tail, you will like moose. Even my wife likes it, though she swears she will never eat Bullwinkle or Bambi (she has, but doesn't know it). I was frying up some mooseburger with peppers and onions one evening when she came home from work, she walked in the door and exclaimed "Oh Honey, that smells delicious!" I just smiled and said, "It does, doesn't it." I was making 'dirty rice'. She had three helpings of it and told me it was the best I had ever made. I did not want to spoil her enjoyment of it, so I didn't tell her that it wasn't cow, and didn't come wrapped in cellophane from the grocery store.

Quote:

I saw an article on TV a few days ago, that said the number of permits was reduced this year because "...more people want to see them in the woods."

The idea of issuing a limited number of permits, is to [try to] control how many are killed, in an effort to 'manage' the population numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine