Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 11:04 AM

87 posts, read 79,206 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

When we move, I plan on doing some subsistence farming and hunting. I have an early Savage 1899 lever gun in .30-30 and an 8mm Mauser I plan on using for bigger game and an SKS and a couple .22s for small game, varminting, etc. The only shotgun I have is a Stevens 12 ga bolt action. for birds I was thinking about getting a pump or semi auto 12 or 20, like a Remington 870 or 1100. I do not buy most things new, from a cost perspective, especially guns. Most of what I have has fell into my lap from friends and family or very, very good prices I couldn't pass up.

Anyway, I am wondering how used gun prices are there in Maine. I can either buy something here in California before moving or buy when I get there. I figure it could go either way- more people using guns there for hunting and whatnot than here, so there could be more used guns available at better prices, or more people using guns and so they hold value for utility, rather than here where most people want ARs and Glocks to be little Rambos in their own mind. I like old guns myself.

So... folks that hunt, how are used firearm prices there? Are they plentiful?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 04:36 PM

428 posts, read 553,789 times
Search - Guns | Uncle Henry's

This should give you an idea. Online purchases (Bud's, Gunbroker, etc) can also be shipped to an FFL for a small fee. I hope you have some additional income as subsistence farming and hunting are not likely to feed your family.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:16 PM

87 posts, read 79,206 times
Oh, no- not planning on 'living off the land' exclusively. Just to augment our food budget, have some control over our food supply and be more self sufficient. I am self employed.

Thanks!

Old 10-29-2016, 07:25 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Buying online remains the best deals, as it is not restricted to sellers in-state & opens up best deals/prices anywhere. Just FYI. I'm still in AZ & though can buy in-store here, I still peruse online for better deals on EXACTLY want I want -- not just "close enough".

Old 10-29-2016, 09:23 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix02 View Post
Hello all,...
Hello

You have:
a Savage 1899 lever gun in .30-30
a 8mm Mauser
an SKS [7.62×39mm]
a couple .22s
a Stevens 12 ga

If your goal is subsistence farming and hunting, you are covered.

The .30-30, 8mm, or the 7.62 will do you just fine for moose, bear or deer.

The .22s are fine for varmints

The 12ga is good for most fowl and the occasional fox.

The fact that you already own three good rifles, seems to imply that you are more than just a subsistence hunter.

In my town our only store front business is a gunsmith. Folks meet-up every week for coffee at his shop, my wife likens it to "Floyds's barber shop". I hear every hunting, fishing, foraging story that happens in this town. We have a lot of long guns.

Amassing a collection is okay, that is what you are discussing though.

Do you reload?

Do you compete? 100 yards? 200 yards? There are some nice competitions around here. Split an aspirin at 200 yards.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:20 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
The 8mm Mauser is much better for moose.

When you move, how do you plan to get through New York State? Have a plan. You don't want to end up at Sing Sing instead of Maine.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:13 AM

For that matter, a 12 Gauge shotgun with appropriate ammo (various shot size + slugs) will handle all your needs including home defense. If I could only keep one it would be my Remington 1100. Here is a link to info on interstate transport of firearms published by NRA-ILA:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...transportation

Old 10-30-2016, 11:46 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
It just occurred to me that my previous post could be understood as saying you do not need any more firearms.

That is not my intent. I am in favor of all US citizens being well armed, and having lots of training and familiarity with their firearms.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It just occurred to me that my previous post could be understood as saying you do not need any more firearms.

That is not my intent. I am in favor of all US citizens being well armed, and having lots of training and familiarity with their firearms. https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox

Absolutely! The OP would be well served by adding a handgun or three to his arsenal as well. Much easier herein Maine than in California.

Old 10-30-2016, 02:05 PM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Good advice travelling thru with guns. Mass requires a heads up if you drive thru with a pistol.

NJ snagged a guy from Maine moving to Texas that pulled over to grab a few winks.

Conn is on the cusp of strange rules.

Pack them deep and out of sight. Once in Maine you can lay the rifle across the dash and drive around as long as it is unloaded. Getting there is the problem.

Gun shops galore in Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine