U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Confused why people consider Maine taxes the highest in country, Maine sales tax 5%, comparing tax rates between states

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 07:00 PM

51 posts, read 89,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Let me rephrase, to explain as it were............

"Why has the cost of living still not affected it's popularity?"
what I meant was more like........
"Why has the cost of living still not affected the popularity of being alive?"
D'oh! I get it now!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 07:05 PM

6,094 posts, read 7,680,082 times
The FBI says that Maine is the safest state. Safety comes at a price. A good friend of mine is making big bucks just outside Washington, DC. He says this about it on a regular basis: "You have to go where it sux to make the big bucks." That is not always true because over there across the Maple Curtain there is a state with no income tax and no sales tax. I would think Augusta would send over a delegation to find out how that is done.

We have neartly identical populations.
Gross state product per worker in Maine is $53M; NH is $68M
Private sector personal income in Maine is #44; NH is #1 in the country.
Maine is #25 in poverty in the USA. NH is #50.
Maine ranks #33 in private health insurance. NH ranks #1.
Maine has the highest rate of Medicaid in the nation. NH has the lowest or #50.
Maine leads the nation in total tax burden per capita income. NH is #49. (Alaska pays you to live there.)

Yes, I coined the term "Maple Curtain" a few years ago to describe the Maine/NH border. The term has gained traction and may soon be as common as that other boundary bandied about these past few days.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:52 PM

21,520 posts, read 27,137,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
... I just don't get it - why do people come in here and post that Maine's taxes are the highest in the nation, when they're not - my advice, don't post stuff like that unless you really know your facts.
We have owned property in three other states previous to our move to Maine. And we have lived in numerous locations as well.

It has been our observation, that in our case, taxes in all of their forms are consistently lower [cheaper] in Maine than we have experienced previously in other locations.

Your mileage may vary.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:29 PM

21,520 posts, read 27,137,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
The FBI says that Maine is the safest state. Safety comes at a price. A good friend of mine is making big bucks just outside Washington, DC. He says this about it on a regular basis: "You have to go where it sux to make the big bucks." ... .
That is a good rule of thumb.

The best job offers that I have recieved, have been to go work under very miserable conditions. Great pay! but conditions that would rip your heart out.

My In-laws live near DC, I have a highschool friend that lives there as well. They all make very good money, but they also pay $3 to 5k/month to their mortgages, drive an hour each way in their daily commutes, and live with very high crime.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:42 PM

8,748 posts, read 11,236,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Let me rephrase, to explain as it were............

"Why has the cost of living still not affected it's popularity?"
what I meant was more like........
"Why has the cost of living still not affected the popularity of being alive?"
MSINA you know the answer to that question but I'll answer it anyway. It is the QUALITY of life enjoyed here that makes all of the high taxes and low income worth the trouble. Fresh air, low crime, good schools,recreation everywhere, mountains, the ocean, four seasons, fall leaves....all the reasons you love it here!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:25 AM

2,346 posts, read 3,379,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
It is the QUALITY of life enjoyed here that makes all of the high taxes and low income worth the trouble. Fresh air, low crime, good schools,recreation everywhere, mountains, the ocean, four seasons, fall leaves....all the reasons you love it here!
I disagree..........at least in part........I believe there are people who are willing to move to Maine and take a pay cut, and pay more in taxes to find a slower pace of life and place that they feel is more suitable to raise children.

But lets not make Maine into some utopia where as it is the last place on earth to find those things. It is not..........we live in a huge country and there are many low crime places where you can feel safe and enjoy a slower pace of life. I've said it before.........I grew up in a town south of boston and we never locked our doors.....and to this day when I compare crime rates from that town to similiar towns here......that town has a lower crime rate.

I also believe that there are a great many people that have looked to move to Maine and decided not to, and there are many Maine residence who are born and raised here who have never really been outside the state and are living a life that is comfortable to them and don't really know anything else.

The majority of people want to be near an urban area for the employment benifits and cultural benifits.......they also want progressive schools and neighborhoods. when you look for that in Maine....and factor in low wages, higher cost of living, and yes....higher taxes(burdan).....that formula doesn't fit everyone.....in fact....few can justify makiing such a move. Which is why we have demographic issues...and are lagging (46) in the nation for growth.

Last edited by flycessna; 02-26-2008 at 07:55 AM..

Old 02-26-2008, 03:52 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,859,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I disagree..........at least in part........I believe there are people who are willing to move to Maine and take a pay cut, and pay more in taxes to find a slower pace of life and place that they feel is more suitable to raise children.

But lets not make Maine into some utopia where as it is the last place on earth to find those things. It is not..........we live in a huge country and there are many low crime places where you can feel safe and enjoy a slower pace of life. I've said it before.........I grew up in a town south of boston and we never locked our doors.....and to this day when I compare crime rates from that town to similiar towns here......that town has a lower crime rate.

I also believe that there are a great many people that have looked to move to Maine and decided not to, and there are many Maine residence who are born and raised here who have never really been outside the state and are living a life that is comfortable to them and don't really know anything else.

The majority of people want to be near an urban area for the employment benifits and cultural benifits.......they also want progressive schools and neighborhoods. when you look for that in Maine....and factor in low wages, higher cost of living, and yes....higher taxes(burdan).....that formula doesn't fit everyone.....in fact....few can justify makiing such a move. Which is why we have demographic issues...and are lagging (46) in the nation for growth.
The highlighted statement above just about sums it up for my extended family in Maine. Every year I go back to visit for a week around the holidays or a quick trip in the summer. When visiting relatives, they are always wondering when I'm moving back to God's country and can't for the life of them understand why I would want to live "out there", meaning Sacramento. I will hear the casual complaint about taxes and welfare(MaineCare) and recycling and heating costs, etc., but they don't really think it's too different anywhere else either, or that their complaints outweigh any others from other states. Some of them have never been out of Maine, yet alone New England. They can't even imagine not having 4 seasons. And, this always strikes me as funny. Several of my relatives plan camping trips each summer to get away from it all. I'm talking the real woods up north somewhere, where there are no people, or probably, not even where any animals would go. They are real Mainers and I'm not. Hope to be again someday. But it will take me time to get all the left coast out of me.

[notice how I stayed on topic and mentioned taxes]

Old 02-26-2008, 03:57 PM

87 posts, read 222,482 times
Good question!

I've run the numbers over and over and over and compared to everything I pay here in CT, Maine seems like a bargain to me.

That's not to say that it's a bargain compared to some other states but in most towns in Maine my property tax on my home alone is double what it would be in Maine for twice the house and 2-3 times the land. Other taxes work out to be less too.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:11 PM

12,146 posts, read 21,279,814 times
Good luck to all, hope you find you are right and all the financial analysts are wrong, I really mean that.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:17 PM

2,346 posts, read 3,379,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audry524 View Post
Good question!

I've run the numbers over and over and over and compared to everything I pay here in CT, Maine seems like a bargain to me.

That's not to say that it's a bargain compared to some other states but in most towns in Maine my property tax on my home alone is double what it would be in Maine for twice the house and 2-3 times the land. Other taxes work out to be less too.

I have to believe Maine would be a bargain compared with CT........And for that matter......Ca, NJ, and maybe even NY........see the trend....but Maine is not far behind

I look at NH............. and then I look at the surrounding states.... Maine, Vt, MA RI, CT, NY ect............and I hear that song from sesame street.........."one of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong"......................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine