Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 04:14 PM

41 posts, read 254,858 times

Advertisements

Just Curious... The cool summer nights and rocky coastline keep drawing me in.. I can't resist any longer .............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 04:47 PM

110 posts, read 609,079 times
Count me in! I live in the Midwest and will not spend one more summer here. It is 104 freakin' degrees this afternoon and the humidity is off the charts. Aside from that, I love the Maine climate, the people, the beauty, the seafood, the quality of life...oh, sigh. My husband and I are counting the days until we make the big move.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:00 PM

46 posts, read 139,064 times
I am. It's 103F in Atlanta and I can't stand it. I hate the South - so I'm dreaming of going way way up North to Maine. I mean, the North are the good guys for god sake.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:25 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenw View Post
I am. It's 103F in Atlanta and I can't stand it. I hate the South - so I'm dreaming of going way way up North to Maine. I mean, the North are the good guys for god sake.
LOL
Darn right!!!!

Old 08-09-2007, 06:07 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,694,928 times
Count us in! After dreaming for many years, we're finally working on making it a reality. Maine is everything we're looking for and more. I can't wait for the day when we cross the state line with our moving truck and make Maine our forever home !

Old 08-09-2007, 06:14 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,138 times
"Exactly" may be hard to pinpoint, but you can count me in the final tally! Anyone who has followed my ramblings on these boards knows that I'm about to fulfill a lifelong dream to move to Maine. My love for the place has rubbed off on DH, and to say "we can't wait to move" is putting it mildly. If we could afford a second house payment right now, we'd already be there and just wait for the house here to sell by itself!

We're frequently asked, "How in the world will you be able to stand the cold???" My new answer is, "Better than we can stand this heat another summer!"

They also ask, "Aren't you afraid to pick up your family and move all the way across the country where you don't anyone?" My answer: "Not as afraid as I am to keep them here and raise them in this volatile environment around the people whose nature I know all too well!"

My heart aches more and more each passing day for the homeland I've come to love. I'd nearly swear I've lived there in another life!

Old 08-09-2007, 07:18 PM

104 posts, read 338,627 times
Interesting to read all of your posts.......I was born and raised here in Maine as well as my husband and we can't wait to move out. Isn't it true about the saying the grass is always greener on the other side?!

Old 08-09-2007, 07:23 PM

307 posts, read 1,589,241 times
Default Why K and K Mom?

So K and K Mom, where are you in Maine and why do you want to leave?
We're in North Carolina where apparently everyone is moving to. 103 degrees today, we are looking forward to freezing next winter once we find a house in the Portland area.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:27 PM

104 posts, read 338,627 times
We absolutely hate the winter months........our summers are too short. Also the cost of living here is very expensive compared to southern states. We were amazed at the costs of housing and property taxes in NC and SC. We are looking to explore........we have lived in the same town our whole lives and want to show our boys other parts of the country. Looking for change

Old 08-10-2007, 02:51 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
as a kid, i remember "winter" being after halloween , and well into april, and possibly may (having snowstorms in may)
we loved to go "sliding", skating, snowmobiling (when we had one)

as an adult, with a teenage son,,i actually look forward to the winter months.
we actually only have two-three months of winter, january and february, usually being the coldest and most snowfall. and march, not as cold but often still get some snow.

i remember golfing in the second week of december last year!
and we love to go snowmobiling!!

we,ve had some "hot" and humid weather up here in the past few weeks,,it sucks, i remember thinking ..i,d rather it be 40 degrees than 90 and humid,,,
the heat would kill me,if i were to move south, id much rather be a bit cool, than feel like a rotisserrie chicken (too hot)
we have the four seasons,,,autumn is gorgeous in maine, and spring is my favorite season, summers are awesome (outside of the few days it gets over 90 degrees) and winters,,are awesome too,,you just have to enjoy them,,not complain,,i cant imagine livin where it doesnt snow,,call me weird,,but i enjoy the white landscape after it snows. yes, the driving sucks, in snow or sleet, but its part of the territory.
im glad to see maine winters arent as prohibitive(keeping folks from moving here) ,,many mainers will say winters are not nearly as harsh as they use to be.
id advise anyone looking to move here,,dont let the winters keep you away!! they arent that bad, and the other three seasons are awesome!
for outdoor enthusiast, maine is the place to be!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine