Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2016, 08:50 AM

375 posts, read 608,835 times

Advertisements

Interesting report/video about a possible mountain lion spotted just two miles outside Maine:

Suspected mountain lion filmed near Maine border | Going Coastal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 04:12 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
I wouldn't be surprised if they've been here for decades

about 10 yrs ago an adult bobcat got mauled by a "cat" over twice the size of the adult bobcat
had pics of large paw prints
the locals of the town that came upon the mauled bobcat were convinced it was a mountain lion that did this

if a mountain lion was "discovered" would they be put on the endangered species list?? and shut off the nearby forests?????

Old 10-30-2016, 04:46 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,671,339 times
It depends on who is the commissioner of natural resources.

VOTE!

With all the trail cameras in Maine and virtual 100% coverage of snow, why are there no photos or tracks of large cats. About 20 years ago a pet mountain lion got loose. Those sightings are what feed the superstition. What is the life span of a mountain lion. I don't know, but Maine has a great food source for predators. We don't want our deer, moose and wild turkeys to be wiped out by new predators.

SSS

Old 10-30-2016, 05:28 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,126,531 times
My son saw one in PA about 18 years ago.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:05 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,236,869 times
They've been seen in Trenton and Blue Hill.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:17 AM

375 posts, read 608,835 times
Native cougars likely replaced by visitors from away:
Endangered eastern cougar headed for official extinction - The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

This is a few years old, but includes confirmed sightings in Maine:
The Maine Outdoorsman: Hiking for Maine Mt. Lions

Recent sightings in New England:
New England Mountain Lion Sighting Bulletin Board's Message Board | Boards2Go

Old 11-01-2016, 02:06 PM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times
Had a mountain Lion the other year in CT. Travelled 1500 miles from South Dakota

Mountain Lion Spotted In Greenwich?

Unfortunately a car hit it by a car

Also again in 2012, different one.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:51 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,201,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
It depends on who is the commissioner of natural resources.

VOTE!

With all the trail cameras in Maine and virtual 100% coverage of snow, why are there no photos or tracks of large cats. About 20 years ago a pet mountain lion got loose. Those sightings are what feed the superstition. What is the life span of a mountain lion. I don't know, but Maine has a great food source for predators. We don't want our deer, moose and wild turkeys to be wiped out by new predators.

SSS
Yeah. VOTE for someone that will put qualified people in the State positions instead of handing out plums like head of IF&W to political cronies with no background or experience other than "I hunted and fished, therefore I'm qualified." The Warden Service has been made a laughing stock under the current administration, and each and every fish and consumable game critter now has a price tag on it. IF&W is "selling" the "Maine Wildlife Opportunity," even while hunting and fishing license sales continue to decline. I give it about another 10 years and we'll all be poachers. Which is worse? Preservation by bunny huggers or the facist corporatism of selling Maine's wildlife to the highest bidder? Why do you think turkeys are here? They each have a price tag on them, drawing out of state hunters. I, on the other hand, can take out 5 with one shot from the dining room table, and simply throw them on the trash pile up back. They're like rats. There is one theory that when the "transplants" began, there were a large number of birds brought up from CT, loaded with deer ticks. About the same time lyme disease began to appear in Maine. There is another completely fallacious theory that "turkeys take care of ticks." Bull. They're loaded.

Oh yeah. Off track, but the total lack of common sense and pure partisanship in Government ticks me off. So, wife comes home a year or so ago, rattling pots and pans in the kitchen, and, without looking up, matter of factly says "I just saw a mountain lion cross out on Rt. 2 at the bottom of the hill coming out of Hermon." Nothing else. No fanfare. No further discussion. When I pressed, she says ". . . look, it was a lion. Period. Tail and all."

Last edited by Maineac; 11-02-2016 at 07:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine