Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:23 PM

182 posts, read 488,387 times

Advertisements

[quote=Maineah;3011074]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bringselpup View Post
Whatever happened to Portland Lager?
Quote:
Who made it do you remember? Was it Casco Bay Brewing?
Well now I'm thinking the last time I was able to buy some was at least 20 yrs ago possibly longer. I remember I bought it because I liked it but I have this sense at least the label just indicated it was something like Portland Brewing or some such. Of course that long ago maybe they didn't own up to being a contract brew.

At any rate had to go in to Belfast today to insure the Jeep. So my Hannafords run included a 6pk of Shipyard Brewers Choice Royal IPA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 11:32 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,568,663 times
[quote=bringselpup;3022186]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post

At any rate had to go in to Belfast today to insure the Jeep. So my Hannafords run included a 6pk of Shipyard Brewers Choice Royal IPA.
I tried the Brewers Choice IPA .I thought it was very good. In fact I'm going to get a couple of six packs of it to go with the corned beef and cabbage the week after next.
Thanks for reminding me!

Old 03-04-2008, 11:38 PM

306 posts, read 1,032,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Hot Cocoa with peppermint schnapps
mmmm...Throw some Dr Mcgillicuddy in there and life is good.

I am a shipyard guy though. I love those things.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:40 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,155,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unhappycamper View Post
Or life is getting you into a lot of trouble

Old 03-05-2008, 05:23 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,429,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unhappycamper View Post

I am a shipyard guy though. I love those things.

Mmmmmm... The Doctor.... used to drink it out on the ice. Keeps you pretty warm out there waiting for a flag....

Old 03-05-2008, 02:13 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,155,432 times
Quote:
I tried the ginger brew. I thought it was too strong for my tastes. Neither my son or wife liked it either.
That's why I like Reeds. It's extra strong and will definitely bite you on the boo-boo. Kind of like that wasabi rush-it will clear your sinus's out for sure. Gotta love it.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:46 AM

513 posts, read 893,309 times
Moxie is one of those drinks that you either love it or not. I love it. Another maine favorite of mine is Captain Eli's rootbeer, made by the shipyard brewing company, Yum.
Oh and add a scoop of smiling hill farm vanilla ice cream and Wow, awesome rootbeer float.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:35 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,568,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesnowflake View Post
Moxie is one of those drinks that you either love it or not. I love it. Another maine favorite of mine is Captain Eli's rootbeer, made by the shipyard brewing company, Yum.
Oh and add a scoop of smiling hill farm vanilla ice cream and Wow, awesome rootbeer float.
I agree about Cap'n Eli's. I believe they nitrogenate it as opposed to carbonate it like stout. Read from post #45 forward . I like moxie too because the kids won't drink it!

Old 03-10-2008, 12:39 PM

7,056 posts, read 9,015,540 times
Quote:
There are LOTS of brewers in Maine now offering everything from Pale Ale to Belgian wheat beers and everything in between. A great many of these beers have won awards in one form or another. Shipyard, Grittys, and Geary's all use the same ringwood ale yeast from England so you may find the styles similar in taste. Allagash makes the phenolic, clove tasting Belgian beers that many people (including my daughter and her friends) just love. There are the clean tasting ales from Sebago Brewing, Casco Bay Brewing and a host of smaller breweries. I did an apprenticeship with Seadog Brewing under a Brewmaster from England Mike Hall. I stayed with Seadog in Camden for a few years and from there I went on to Gritty Mc Duff's as their head brewer for several years.
I have some sentimental favorites and some I truly miss as they are either no longer made or radically changed.
If you like beer Maine has it for you!
Do you brew professionally now? (Edit: Nevermind, read thru the thread and got the answer.)

I tend to use Nottingham for most of my ales. Everyone who tries them seems to like them, I've turned a number of BudMillerCoors drinkers who would never have dreamed of drinking *real* beer (and even a few non-beer drinkers who'd only ever tried BudMillerCoors, didn't like it and thought all beer was the same) into ale afficionados. I also use hops only for bittering rather than for flavor. I've found that most of the people who have told me they don't like beer *really* just don't like the hop smell/taste.

Last edited by Zymer; 03-10-2008 at 01:09 PM..

Old 03-10-2008, 01:57 PM

455 posts, read 1,223,630 times
When I was a little girl...Many many moons ago, I used to get Birch Beer at a tiny little store in Andover. I tried birch beer at one of the fairs about 6 years ago and it was not the same. Anyone know where you can buy the clear (not brownish) birch beer now?
My son LOVES Moxie and we kid him about drinking "sock water"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine