Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:40 PM

37,223 posts, read 60,947,942 times

Advertisements

Today I was driving and spotted two logs on the road. They were 'tree-length' and both over a foot in diameter. One was completely blocking my lane, the other was on the shoulder. I slowed, saw that nobody else was within either horizon, and I drove around the blockage. Three bends in the road later I came upon the stopped pulp-wood truck that had lost the logs. The driver was re-adjusting his straps. I told him that he had lost some wood back a ways, and he said that he had already called his buddies with a crane to come meet him to get those logs placed back onto his truck.

Now fortunately it was clear and sunny, I saw the obstructions from 1/4 mile away, and I had plenty of time to slow down and creep around them.

Though it does occur to me that had I came upon them when the snow was blowing hard drifting across the pavement, or if it had been dark; I might have easily struck such a log.

I commonly do see saw dust from blow-downs, where someone has already cut-up the wood and hauled it away. I assume that when a tree blows down across the roadway, the next fellow along who is carrying a chain-saw, cuts it up into stove lengths and loads up his truck. Problem solved.

Does this happen everywhere in Maine?

I am not complaining about it mind you, I just find that interesting things block the roads here. Beaver dragging their trees, moose, wild turkey, and now logs.

Later I was on Stillwater between I-95 and Bangor, my goodness how much that road has been cracking, sinking and frost-heaving is amazing. I got my little saab air-borne today going over a frost-heave [maybe I should slow down a bit].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 11:02 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,565,800 times
You mean you don't carry a chainsaw with you?? At a bare minimum anyone who travels any distance in Maine should have a chainsaw,peavey,tire chains,snow shovel,come-a-long, regular shovel,2 five gallon buckets of sand, axe, road flares, three days worth of food and water, sleeping bag or several quilts,flaslights and two sets of extra batteries, 150 feet of 1/2 inch rope,a tire repair kit, bailing wire, duct tape,tool box, small 12 volt compressor, 2 1/2 gallon gas can, snowshoes, ice creepers, whistle, signal mirror, and a Delorme Gazeteer.
Handgun under the seat and 9,000 lb Warn winch are optional.

Or just a cell phone will work. (if you have coverage that is)

Last edited by Maineah; 02-28-2008 at 11:21 PM..

Old 02-28-2008, 11:21 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,793,747 times
That type of thing happens from time to time in any area that has logging, not just in Maine. If it was a not so busy road, not too surprising. If it was busy Rt 1 I am sure they would have been abit more concerned about warning drivers.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:27 PM

Have you ever gone around a corner in Aroostook in the fall and found a half load of spuds in the middle of the road?? That will get your attention!
For rolling obstructions avoid following fish trucks. It may only be melted ice streaming out of the back but wait until you stop and the sun dries that "water" a bit. Your car will smell like a bait barrel in August!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:34 PM

454 posts, read 881,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Handgun under the seat and 9,000 lb Warn winch is optional.
LMAO

When I first read this sentence, I read it as:

"Handgun under the seat and 9,000 lb Warm wench is optional."

Yeah, I think I need to go to bed.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewitched View Post
LMAO

When I first read this sentence, I read it as:

"Handgun under the seat and 9,000 lb Warm wench is optional."

Yeah, I think I need to go to bed.
Geeze I guess probably a 4 1/2 ton wench would keep ya warm! Thin too!

I edited out the "is" and changed it to "are" after I read it the first time. Now no one will know how you saw it as"is!"

Old 02-29-2008, 05:57 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,916,756 times
My Mother and Father retired to Maine in the late 1960s. They had a small business in early retirement and my mother made many trips around the midcoast area making calls on her clients and deliveries to her customers.

One day coming back toward Route One from the Frankfort area, she was following a large logging truck that hit a frost heave. The bounce of the frost heave caused a log on top of the load to bounce off the truck.

The log struck the road butt end first and bounced up and OVER my mother's approaching Volkswagen Super Beetle.

I can assure you that THAT got her attention. I think of the story EVERY time I come upon some sort of logging or pulp truck struggling up a hill.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:34 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,710,671 times
I've seen the regular stuff like Moose, and other animals, along with logs, potatoes, even a load of carrots. Oddest thing I saw was a few hundred stuffed animals all over a corner, it was during "fair season" and I figured a carnival game had lost their prizes between stops. Couple of miles up the road and sure enough there was a couple of game trailers pulled off to the side securing loose boxes. I told them how far back they had lost some and they shrugged and said it was only two or three of the boxes, the local kids could have them, they were not going to turn around and get them.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:35 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,038,374 times
I think the most recent one for the Eastport area was a couple of years ago when a company was bringing in a modular home. There is a very sharp corner on Rt. 190 (Redoubt Hill) and although you see it, it's worse than it looks. The driver hadn't been on the road before, didn't slow down.......yes, the house was unloaded a bit early and in the wrong place.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:20 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,335,254 times
On a trip to Maine 2 years ago we exited the highway in Vassalboro to see the "castle' were my mum went to boarding school (place is now a police academy).

We went around a corner to find a couple of bags of Blue Seal grain, another corner a couple more bags, then finally we found the box truck that lost them. The guy was standing in the road scratching his head wondering what happened. We helped the driver put the salvageable bags back in the truck and he let us keep the broken bags. It was mostly horse trotter and dairy cow feed. Our pigs didn't seem to care much though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine