Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 08:49 AM

428 posts, read 549,073 times

Advertisements

I seriously doubt anyone making the current MW pays taxes. $1.25 will be just fine. No need for "low income assistance" since they are making a "living wage".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 09:11 AM

18,566 posts, read 10,489,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post

*I'll* set the definition for 'living wage'- you get enough for a $40/week flop at a rooming house, $10/week for food, and you walk your butt or ride a bicycle to work. That's $50 a week, divided by 40 hours, so that's $1.25 an hour...oh, wait, ya gotta pay taxes too, so we'll set the wage at $1.54/hr which will leave about $1.25 take-home (assuming 25% total taxes).

There, there's your 'living wage'. You can live on that...it won't be a great living, but you can live on it.

You want to get married? Have kids? Buy a house? Buy a car?

WORK MORE! GET A BETTER JOB!

NOBODY *OWES* YOU ANY PARTICULAR LIFESTYLE!

Thank you ,you're a great example of why a min wage is needed, to stop owners like you.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:14 AM

37,246 posts, read 60,976,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Or as with any and all cost increase's pass it on to the consumer.
Causing all prices go up at an increased rate.

Many factors have been causing the Cost-Of-Living to slowly climb. This event will cause the COL to climb at an increased rate.

Nobody benefits from this.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:21 AM

37,246 posts, read 60,976,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
I seriously doubt anyone making the current MW pays taxes. $1.25 will be just fine. No need for "low income assistance" since they are making a "living wage".
My pension is really close to MW. My Dw's pension is tiny. Our combined pension income is still less than enough to begin to pay income taxes.

We are in the habit of itemizing our income tax filing. Even though we no longer earn enough to pay income taxes, when we file our taxes, we still itemize because we can and we like to stay in the habit of doing so.

We do not receive any 'assistance'. I can not think of anything that we would 'need'. We do very well on our level of income.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:43 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,567,552 times
In Sherbrooke, Quebec, in 1997 there was an automated warehouse where wrapped rolls of paper were stored. A roll would be set on a pallet and that pallet would go into a vast warehouse. When the order is due to be shipped, the rolls would emerge from various places all over the warehouse and be deposited at the loading dock. The truck is loaded with a clamp truck and no human being ever touched the roll. Even the label was created and automatically applied to the roll. It is the most automated paper mill I ever saw and I have been in paper mills from Grand Falls, Newfoundland to Campbell River, British Columbia. This technology was in use two decades ago! Many saw mills operate in similar manners today.

The day when Mom would send a barefoot child down between two running paper machines, with a dinner pail for Dad are gone forever. Today, we can select individual trees to harvest based on satellite photos from space. I flew helicopters with wooden rotor blades and I was in the last class at Pensacola to carrier qualify on a wooden deck. Today, we have children flying drone helicopters that they got for Christmas. We need to embrace the good that is in powerful technology. We also need to be aware of the danger that can exist in this world for misuse of technology.

In 1940 we had 6,250,000 acres of pasture and cultivated ground in Maine. Today we have just over a million acres of pasture and cultivated ground. The forests have taken over. In my lifetime we have GAINED an aver age of 77,000 acres of forest per year. That is more than three townships per year. Let's use that resource. The reason the environmental industry likes Maine so much is that we private landowners have taken such good care of it for the last few centuries.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:25 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,327,751 times
You can't have everything...
If you want free market, then too bad for the small business owner because big box stores can absorb change better than mom and pop.
That said, I support raising the minimum wage.

The place we should be looking is disability payments.

I can't count how many people I know who get disability payments yet still work, that seems wrong to me. If you are disabled and getting a check you should not be taking a position from someone who is NOT getting a check. The elephant in the room is DAV's. I've worked with DAV's who were considered 100% disabled yet they worked 40+ hours manual labor???
No politician will touch that one!

Old 01-19-2017, 02:22 PM

18,566 posts, read 10,489,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Causing all prices go up at an increased rate.

Many factors have been causing the Cost-Of-Living to slowly climb. This event will cause the COL to climb at an increased rate.

Nobody benefits from this.

The people who make MW for what ever reason will benefit from it, as will their communities.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:29 PM

16,591 posts, read 15,520,008 times
Somebody back there asked about FDR and what he said.

Here are a few:

“No business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country.” (1933, Statement on National Industrial Recovery Act)

“By living wages, I mean more than a bare subsistence level — I mean the wages of a decent living.” (1933, Statement on National Industrial Recovery Act)

“Do not let any calamity-howling executive with an income of $1,000 a day, who has been turning his employees over to the Government relief rolls in order to preserve his company’s undistributed reserves, tell you – using his stockholders’ money to pay the postage for his personal opinions — tell you that a wage of $11.00 a week is going to have a disastrous effect on all American industry.” (1938, Fireside Chat, the night before signing the Fair Labor Standards Act that instituted the federal minimum wage)

There. I was mistaken when I said it was 1935. I wasn't mistaken about what he said.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:29 PM

428 posts, read 549,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
You can't have everything...
If you want free market, then too bad for the small business owner because big box stores can absorb change better than mom and pop.
That said, I support raising the minimum wage.

The place we should be looking is disability payments.

I can't count how many people I know who get disability payments yet still work, that seems wrong to me. If you are disabled and getting a check you should not be taking a position from someone who is NOT getting a check. The elephant in the room is DAV's. I've worked with DAV's who were considered 100% disabled yet they worked 40+ hours manual labor???
No politician will touch that one!
Some relevant info on 100% disability and work.
Can a 100 percent disabled Veteran work? »

Old 01-19-2017, 02:30 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,018,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Thank you ,you're a great example of why a min wage is needed, to stop owners like you.
And...what do you think I own?

You're talking out of your butt because you don't know.

I highlighted an issue, that being that no one has defined this magical 'living wage'. Do you have a better definition? Do you think somebody *owes* you a better standard of living than what I defined?

Come on, don't just spout silly accusations, put some thought into a proposal that makes some sort of sense.

I know for a fact that I can live on less than $10 a week for food, because I had to do it when I first bought this house and moved in...and then couldn't find a job for nine months. I certainly didn't eat like the POTUS, but by making wise choices I had *enough* to eat. It was enough to buy eggs, frozen sausages, bread, frozen vegetables, hotdogs and Ramen noodles. Maybe not great, but enough...and if I knew then what I know know, I could have eaten even cheaper by making my own bread and buying rice instead of Ramen noodles.

There are places where you can rent super cheap rooms, I know because I know people that live in places like that. There have been times when *I* have lived in places like that. Sure, a flophouse isn't a great place to live, but it's a roof over your head and heat. Do you think you deserve more?

What more do you want?

What standard of living do you feel you should be entitled to for working 40 hours a week?

One of my points, is that many of the things involved in how one lives, are completely personal decisions as to *how* one chooses to spend his/her money. If you spend your money wisely, you can live reasonably well for not a lot. I hear people pizz & moan about how they don't have/make enough money...but they're wasting over $100/mo on premium cable, another $100 (or more) for the latest and greatest smart-phone and data plan, spending money eating and drinking in restaurants and bars...all personal decisions...and I could eat like a king on what they are wasting.

Come on, put yourself on record, what standard of living do you think you should be entitled to for a 40 hour workweek?

What do you think you 'deserve'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine