Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 04:41 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,656,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
Not all buinesses need employees. The fast food industry has been exploring automation for some time now. When labor costs become too high, automation at the fast food counter will look a lot more attractive. Same with low skill manufacturing jobs. Businesses don't need to sell their products. If they can't make a reasonable profit, they will close. Given the choice between running a business at a loss, and investing in a mutual fund earning an average return of 6%, where would you put your money. Th poster you quoted made no assumption that every business will close due to an increase in MW. As I said before, you clearly have reading comprehension problems. Businesses don't need excuses for downsizing. Downsizing occurs because of financial issues such as rising costs, lower revenue, etc. Public relations have nothing to do with it. I would suggest you take a course in microeconomics in addition to reading comprehension.

I greatly appreciate you overwhelming concern for my welfare but yet after reading all your points from the above post I must suggest you look after yourself and take a local high school economics class, again thank you so much for your concern .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 05:41 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
Not all buinesses need employees. The fast food industry has been exploring automation for some time now. When labor costs become too high, automation at the fast food counter will look a lot more attractive. Same with low skill manufacturing jobs. Businesses don't need to sell their products. If they can't make a reasonable profit, they will close. Given the choice between running a business at a loss, and investing in a mutual fund earning an average return of 6%, where would you put your money. Th poster you quoted made no assumption that every business will close due to an increase in MW. As I said before, you clearly have reading comprehension problems. Businesses don't need excuses for downsizing. Downsizing occurs because of financial issues such as rising costs, lower revenue, etc. Public relations have nothing to do with it. I would suggest you take a course in microeconomics in addition to reading comprehension.
I'm only going to comment on this one thing.

"The fast food industry has been exploring automation for some time now. When labor costs become too high, automation at the fast food counter will look a lot more attractive."

This has been going on for years already. I don't think changing the minimum wage will change that. Down in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia & West Virginia, you can find a Sheetz convenience store/gas station with just about the same frequency you can find an Irving in Maine. When you decide to get a quick burger when you stop for gas, you go to a touch screen kiosk, place your order, then step over to the register to pay for it while somebody you never speak to fixes the burger and delivers it to the pick-up window.

You don't see this at an Irving right now, bu I'd bet cash money that the management at Irving is well aware of how other companies in their type of business operate.

I don't think this is really much different from the change from paying for gasoline at the counter vs. paying at the pump. I only know a few places that DON'T have credit card readers on their gas pumps.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:05 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
I went to an Automat in New York City in 1953. You put your quarters into the slot, open the door and get your meal. I liked the food. There were people sleeping in there. I found the whole experience to be strange.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I went to an Automat in New York City in 1953. You put your quarters into the slot, open the door and get your meal. I liked the food. There were people sleeping in there. I found the whole experience to be strange.

WaWa's in NJ have the menu readers or kiosks but it is illegal to pump your own gas in NJ ,so they lose job's one way and save them another.I remember "Automat's in NY and "Hot Shoppe's" in Washingto DC,the food was'nt bad.You still had employee's cooking and preparing that there is no way around.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:03 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,756 times
WaWa came to town in Florida while I was living there and I personally love their ordering kiosks. Much more efficient than waiting on someone to take my order.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:12 AM

63 posts, read 63,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I went to such an Automat in 1960's. It was inside the Museum of Natural History. As an elementary school kid, I though those little doors were kind of neat. If I had known that all the exhibits and artifacts came alive each night, I might have never left

Old 02-02-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
WaWa came to town in Florida while I was living there and I personally love their ordering kiosks. Much more efficient than waiting on someone to take my order.

Absolutely!

Old 02-02-2017, 10:54 AM

428 posts, read 553,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I'm only going to comment on this one thing.

"The fast food industry has been exploring automation for some time now. When labor costs become too high, automation at the fast food counter will look a lot more attractive."

This has been going on for years already. I don't think changing the minimum wage will change that. Down in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia & West Virginia, you can find a Sheetz convenience store/gas station with just about the same frequency you can find an Irving in Maine. When you decide to get a quick burger when you stop for gas, you go to a touch screen kiosk, place your order, then step over to the register to pay for it while somebody you never speak to fixes the burger and delivers it to the pick-up window.

You don't see this at an Irving right now, bu I'd bet cash money that the management at Irving is well aware of how other companies in their type of business operate.

I don't think this is really much different from the change from paying for gasoline at the counter vs. paying at the pump. I only know a few places that DON'T have credit card readers on their gas pumps.
See attached for information on impact of minimum wage on the decision to automate fast food operations.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/techt...ost-effective/

Old 02-08-2017, 08:34 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Maybe the workers will, but the businesses that will close due to this unfair law, and many others will raise prices to absorb the costs. Who wins then? I am sure that most posting defending the minimum wage hike do not own a business and their concerted effort to persuade us otherwise is the reason they don't.
Actually, since my labor, steeple jacking and other stints in the 1970's, I have always been self employed and owned businesses with up to 16 employees. In my businesses, the business plan ALWAYS puts employees first under a hire carefully fire quickly (if need be) scenario. No free rides, just fairness. From labor related business to highly specialized professional businesses requiring various licensure. Your frog has been boilt with all the others that feel that the CEO's, Chief Administrators, Corporate Presidents and other figurehead positions somehow "earned" their obscene salaries, stock options, etc. Same as Congress's benefits. Same as my buddy the retired Federal Judge (Senior sitting, recalled out of retirement) sucking up several hundred thousand a year. His base pay for life is WAY into six figures whether he works or not. He gets extra for his activities while "retired." God bless him, "they" gave it to him, so you can't fault him for taking it. The concerted efforts to convince people that a living minimum wage is "unfair" is borne of sheer ignorance of reality.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:59 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
I would be very interested if anyone did interviews with the waitress staff at McSeagull's restaurant in Boothbay.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine