Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 02:49 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Thank God it was mostly rain here in Portland.
It was mostly snow 15 miles north of Portland in Freeport. We got about seven inches before the rain packed that down to five. Excellent snowman snow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 03:05 PM

497 posts, read 1,566,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
It was mostly snow 15 miles north of Portland in Freeport. We got about seven inches before the rain packed that down to five. Excellent snowman snow!
Yeah this was a weird one. A few miles from the coast it was snowing like crazy. Here in Falmouth and Portland it was rain. Personally, as much as I hate snow I would rather have all snow or all rain. I hate this crap that mixes and changes over that makes everything a bigger mess.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:41 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,268,441 times
We're in Brunswick. I'd guess we got a good 6-8 inches. It dripped rain for a few minutes, but not long, and it only served to make the snow much more snowman friendly.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:21 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,011 times
You know you guys are killing me, right? I would so love to be there and be snowed in.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:31 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,956 times
Oh me too! Curled up with DH by a cozy, crackling fire, sipping a cup of hot coffee and listening to the howling wind whipping around our little New England cape would be a perfect day for me!

Old 03-02-2008, 08:35 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
12". It's now piled so high on the seedling house that it has no place to fall. I'll dig it all out tomorrow when the wind won't blow it back in my face.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:50 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
Somebody has offended the snow god because he's mad at us this year. All town, city and state budgets are depleted and the highway departments have used up all their salt. Last year we had our snowiest month in April. Yes, we have people snowed in. One lady who works at Raymonds in Lee has been going in and out of her home by snowmobile since December 15. Not a big deal. Many people in Maine live off the grid as she does.

Here's a hint for everybody. When breaking trail or crossing a lake and you want to stop for some reason, before you even slow down, go in a circle so you can stop in your own track. If your track get grey it is wetting up from slush and don't stop!. Try another area a hundred yards away and circle there. In deep snow a snowmobile is like a water skier. It depends on speed to stay on top. If you stop you sink in and you may not be able to get going again. If you are breaking trail in the woods, just don't stop at all unless you are headed down a hill. That improves your chances of getting going again.

It helps to have a long track and wide track snowmobile. It is odd that the highest horsepower snowmobiles often have the smallest tracks. They are helpless in deep snow and depend entirely on having groomed trails to ride around on.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:01 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
I do believe that I have seen more snow so far this season then I have in the last ten years combined! Holy cow!

Old 03-02-2008, 09:22 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Somebody has offended the snow god because he's mad at us this year.

Yes, Heikki Lunta (Finnish snow god) is PO'ed for some reason.

Quote:
Here's a hint for everybody. When breaking trail or crossing a lake and you want to stop for some reason, before you even slow down, go in a circle so you can stop in your own track. If your track get grey it is wetting up from slush and don't stop!. Try another area a hundred yards away and circle there. In deep snow a snowmobile is like a water skier. It depends on speed to stay on top. If you stop you sink in and you may not be able to get going again. If you are breaking trail in the woods, just don't stop at all unless you are headed down a hill. That improves your chances of getting going again.

It helps to have a long track and wide track snowmobile. It is odd that the highest horsepower snowmobiles often have the smallest tracks. They are helpless in deep snow and depend entirely on having groomed trails to ride around on.
So true, I even do this on snow shoes if I am going to stop for a few minutes. Makes a nice area that you can move around in and usually take off the shoes to adjust something, ot make a small fire and cook lunch. 4 forked sticks and a snowshoe and you have a nice little prep table for making lunch.

I used to have an old Yamaha snowmachine that was either a 262 or a 340, not sure which one anymore and that old bugger had a track on it most of the newer ones would get track envy over. I could go anywhere with it and not worry about it sinking out of sight if I stopped in soft snow. Of course it didn't have the power to pull the hat off your head, but it just kept going.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:34 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,718,883 times
For me it's what I can do..........I love being out doors.....if your stuck inside looking out your window then it can get pretty old and boring. Right now when hear "we're almost there....just 2 more months...I want to puke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine