U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 10:07 AM

221 posts, read 423,421 times
Default Snow, snow and more snow!

My husband called me this morning and wanted to know if I still wanted to move back to Maine. Ayuh! We are getting quite a lot of snow up here in Bangor. It is so beautiful. Of course, I've only had to deal with ten days of the snow, but I do love it. I would move back tomorrow if it were possible. Just waiting on that job transfer for DH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 11:12 AM

8,748 posts, read 10,943,755 times
I love it too....right around Christmas. After that I tend to like it less and less. At this point I've seen all I want! I know it will snow most of March and most likely into April and even the beginning of May so it isn't over by a long shot. Time to go plow again!

Old 03-01-2008, 11:14 AM

497 posts, read 1,000,875 times
Thank God it was mostly rain here in Portland.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:32 AM

441 posts, read 563,794 times
Here is a short video that I took from our back door about 30 minutes ago. This is really a winter wonderland!

YouTube - March snow

Old 03-01-2008, 11:37 AM

36 posts, read 53,207 times
The March snows are the photogenic ones, where the snow sticks to every little twig on the tree and the front of the stop sign. Those snows I like. It's the ones in January when it's 3 degrees (or less) that I can do without.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:49 AM

7,704 posts, read 7,414,454 times
Nice video txmom!

Old 03-01-2008, 12:02 PM

5,636 posts, read 7,259,409 times
Great video! It's fun to see where you live. Steve used to work in the university forest.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:09 PM

994 posts, read 1,294,972 times
I'm just in from cleaning up after this last round of snow. We got another 9 or 10 inches. It was light and fluffy at first but the temps are rising fast and it's getting heavier.
I have mixed feelings about all this snow. I used to depend on it to keep the bills paid when things were slow in the winter with carpentry. Now that we keep busy year round the snow removal is just kind of an excuse to have a "snow day". I no longer plow but instead have half a dozen in town drives I snow blow. Then I clean up around our place and our 2 sheep fields. Usually a kid or 2 comes with me and it's kind of fun. Usually after we get everything cleaned up we go home for some kind of hearty comfort food, a nap, maybe an movie bag of popcorn and some hot chocolate.
This late in the season everybody is sick of it. It's a chore and nobody really wants to do it. Today instead of a hot meal I'm getting a peanut butter and banana sandwich my 10 yo daughter made and I'm trying to find enough energy and motivation to go clear the snow off the sheep huts before they collapse.
On the other hand we have endured so much snow this winter that to not beat the all time highest amount would be a shame. We are a mere 10" from the highest amount of snowfall in recorded history for our area. If the current trend continues we ought to pass that up by next week.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:25 PM

12,152 posts, read 20,603,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingMaine View Post
The March snows are the photogenic ones, where the snow sticks to every little twig on the tree and the front of the stop sign. Those snows I like. It's the ones in January when it's 3 degrees (or less) that I can do without.
You are correct. Although the snow in the cold months has the nice crystal sparkle to it. I don't like getting those shots usually because I don't like using gloves when I am shooting photos.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:28 PM

12,152 posts, read 20,603,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
On the other hand we have endured so much snow this winter that to not beat the all time highest amount would be a shame. We are a mere 10" from the highest amount of snowfall in recorded history for our area. If the current trend continues we ought to pass that up by next week.
Good Luck???? Kind of mixed feelings isn't it. On the one hand, it is nice bragging rights, but on the other.... it's more damn snow .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine