Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 11:06 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,428,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post

You need to read up on the new Min wage law, The tip credit is going away.

I have read it. It's not going away this year:

Title 26, §664: Minimum wage; overtime rate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 11:26 AM

63 posts, read 63,676 times
good point. I went out to eat with a County Sheriff (one of my roommates from UMaine many years ago) and he commented that there were several restaurants in his town where he couldn't dine because employees would spit in his food (or so he believed)

but the question remains, in this new situation, what constitutes "sub standard" or "way less than you should" when the meal prices were raised to cover the new minimum wage and employee wages rose accordingly? No one wants the wait staff to suffer with decreased take-home and the owner doesn't intend to have reduced revenue. So where's the additional money come from? Easy answer - the customer's back packet.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:33 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,345,506 times
Being a server is a tough way to make a living. When I'm in Maine I will continue to tip 20% regardless. If I can't afford it I won't go to a restaurant.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:04 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,682,072 times
I never leave a 27 cent tip. On tabs up to $10 I leave a dollar if service warrants. Last Thursday I had a cold cheeseburger, soggy fries and never did get my coffee. No tip for the first time in a decade.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:31 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
I am on military pension, some years I get a small COLA increase. With this new Minimum Wage law, the Minimum-Wage workers will soon be earning more than me.

My Dw and I both carry business cards that have the following message printed on them:
Quote:
Thank You for providing good service to me.

In appreciation of your efforts, I choose to make this GIFT to you.

I am permitted by the tax code to make income tax-free gift transfers to family, friends and others as long as they do not exceed $12,000 per year.

Because this is a GIFT and not a TIP, you do not need to report it as income on your tax return.

Libertarian - The party of principle
When either of us eat out, we do leave money for the server. Not as a tip but instead as a gift.

When I met my Dw I was in a truck stop and she was my waitress. She has alway insisted that we leave money for the servers.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:51 PM

846 posts, read 1,020,116 times
I waited tables when completing my Grad/Post Grad studies as the GI bill wasn't getting me what I needed for sustenance. I always tip, even when we went go to New Zealand where my dw is from where tipping isn't the Norm they actually pay wait staff a living wage. Like has been said, if I cannot afford to tip- I would stay home. I do actually prefer to eat aT home to be honest. If I put the bill on Amex, I tip in cash. What Uncle Sugar doesn't know, won't hurt him.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:38 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
I have read it. It's not going away this year:

Title 26, §664: Minimum wage; overtime rate
That's why I said "going away".
But they did get a raise this year.

RR

Old 01-25-2017, 03:43 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
Being a server is a tough way to make a living. When I'm in Maine I will continue to tip 20% regardless. If I can't afford it I won't go to a restaurant.
That's the rub, if enough people can't afford it the place closes and everyone looses there job, waitstaff, dishwashers, cooks, etc...

RR

Old 01-28-2017, 06:15 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post

This ,nice post.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:25 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,918 times
I try to look at the monthly cost and if it's more than I want to spend then I will cut down on eating out.

I usually eat out a few times a week. The rest of the time I take my lunch or eat at a sandwich place or cook at home. Say lunches are $12. and dinners are dinners are $25. If I do two lunches and two dinners a week, at 20% tipping, that's around $15.00 per week or $60.00 per month extra. Not counting the meals themselves. If I eat out more, would be more.

To me, that's not a lot of money to let someone else do the cooking, serving and cleaning. All I have to do is sit there like a fool and read a few words off a menu.

I do the math on ATM fees too. I will get cash out of any machine that is close or convenient. I only pay around $10. a month doing that. I'm not going to drive half way across town to find my bank and spend a dollar or two on gas saving pennies. (I know some banks and credit unions pay the fee which is cool.)

Last edited by RMoore007; 01-28-2017 at 01:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine