Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 12:25 PM

497 posts, read 1,566,933 times

Advertisements

There is an article in the Sunday Telegram today about Maine's tax burden and earnings. Maine ranks 44th out of 50th in wage earnings at $35,700...Montana is the lowest at $32,700.

Earnings per worker rose nationwide at an average of 58% from 1993 to 2006. Ranging from a high in Texas of 72% to a low of 38% for Alaska. Maine ranked 43rd out of 50 states at 48%.

The 10 states with the highest growth of average in earnings per worker over the period saw an increase of 67%, 16% above the national average. The 10 states with the lowest rates- including Maine - saw an average increase of 45%, 22% below the national average.

Meanwhile, Maine's tax burden increased 9% during this time. The average increase in the burden for the lowest growth in earnings states was 4%. Four states, Ohio, West Virginia, Nevada, and Idaho saw their burden increase over 10%.

So Maine isn't the worst...but it's close to it.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:48 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,617 times
Then, come on down to West Virginia and live, then you'll really know what high taxes are like, as for me, I like the lower taxes in Maine.

Old 03-02-2008, 01:24 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
44th?? I feel much better now! I thought were 48th or 49th! We're making progress! Thanks Governor BALDachi!

Old 03-02-2008, 01:55 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
There is an article in the Sunday Telegram today about Maine's tax burden

... and earnings.

... Maine ranks 44th out of 50th in wage earnings

... Earnings per worker rose ,

... earnings per worker over,

... Meanwhile, Maine's tax burden increased 9% during this time.

... The average increase in the burden

... in earnings states,

... burden increase over 10%.
Hmm, notice not a word about Maine's taxes.

Just mumbling about burdens and earnings.

You can't talk about the taxes themselves, you are focused to discuss 'burden's and 'earnings'.

Cool

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 03-02-2008 at 08:28 PM.. Reason: Offering a synopsis of a news article hardly qualifies as lying

Old 03-02-2008, 01:56 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
Then, come on down to West Virginia and live, then you'll really know what high taxes are like, as for me, I like the lower taxes in Maine.
LOL

Good point.

Or California, or Connecticut, or Washington, or ...

Old 03-02-2008, 04:12 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
LOL

Good point.

Or California, or Connecticut, or Washington, or ...
OK lets look at other states using some real world numbers. Because every tax return can be a bit different we'll just have to figure basics. Lets take the average household income for the State of Maine. According to the Census Bureau it is $41,287 the last figures they give the numbers for.

Maine short form: Income 41287 - 8900 (married filing joint)- (2850*4 (average 2 kids))= taxable income of $20,987 = Married filing joint taxes from 2007 tax tables = $877 (2007)

Connecticut Short form (EZ form) whatever you want to call it: Income $41,287 - no deductions or exemptions offered married filing joint taxes from the 2007 tax table = $415 (plus you get to subtract a percentage of vehicle and personal property excise taxes from this amount) (http://www.ct.gov/drs/cwp/view.asp?a=1509&q=277516&drsPNavCtr=|42836|#EZ)

California Short form 540 2EZ - Income $41,287 Married filing joint 2 Dependants. Deductions and exemptions figured into the tax tables. From tax table 2007 - Income $41,287 married filing joint 2 Dependants = tax amount $0 (Forms and Publications)

Washington State - No personal income tax. $0

There are some hard numbers from the states that were picked by someone else. Maine doesn't look so darn cheap for income tax does it? Most people when they think of taxes think of either property tax or income tax. Because there is such a variation in property tax rates in a state there is no real way to make a comparison between states. Valuations are different, percentage of valuation subject to tax is different. So income tax is the easiest to look at and compare.

There are a couple here that like to use the argument that you cannot use personal experience as a comparison for taxes between areas, then turn right around and insist that their own personal situation should be looked at as what to expect. That is a big double standard that cannot make sense to anybody. These are real numbers (according to the US Census Bureau), figured using current year income tax forms for the states mentioned. Anybody wants to really compare your own situation, it is easy to download tax forms for whatever state you are looking at and plugging in your own personal numbers. IF (and it is a big if) your income stays the same when you move, you will then have an accurate picture of the state you are looking at moving to. Above are some links to the main forms page for the states mentioned to get you started. Other tax information like sales tax amounts are found online as well. Some states have property tax estimators online as well. Good luck.

Last edited by Bydand; 03-02-2008 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: Too high of tax in CT originally

Old 03-02-2008, 04:37 PM

222 posts, read 529,848 times
Default Find your home

When I was in Texas I hated it, just hated it and complained to the DH all the time privately. But, we did one thing that I think those who always post negative things about this great state and who seem to hate Maine should also do, we moved! In this country we don't have to live in a state that we detest. Life is too short to live in a place that does not feel like home. Now in Maine, I love it and even though we make less money our quality of life is way up. So take the low wages/high taxes stuff with a grain of salt.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:26 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,244 times
Just a reminder that all City Data members have the right to post their views/opinions so long as they are presented in accordance with the Terms of Service.

If you don't agree with another member's views, you are more than welcome to post your own views on the subject, again with the proviso that such discussions of the topic are free of personal attacks, flames, and other Terms of Service no-no s.

If any member feels a post violates the Terms of Service, please use the Report Post button to bring the matter to the attention of the moderating rather than responding in the thread.

Thanks for your cooperation

Old 03-02-2008, 10:59 PM

Remember, you also have to remember Maine has one of the highest gas taxes in the country, a high sales tax, high auto insurance rates (I paid less in MA when I was a teenager and now I have 19 years of safe driving credit)

Maine nickel and dimes you to death on top of the big taxes. Also, in the recent study Maine is #2 for the highest taxed state in the nation. I just don't know who is #1.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:02 PM

In study after study, Maine is listed as one of the highest taxed states in the nation. The share of our personal incomes that is paid in state and local taxes – Maine’s tax burden - consistently ranks among the top few states in the country. While study methods differ in complexity and detail, the leading sources for tax and spending data agree that Maine taxpayers face a high tax burden.

MPSRG - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine