Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2008, 07:40 PM

182 posts, read 490,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
We have one right next door in St. John, New Brunswick. That one is expanding. The Maine environmental industry fought tooth and nail against having a refinery in Maine. They fight against all infrastructure whether it's dams, wind power, nuclear plants, widening roads or a new store.

Do you know if product comes into the state from there?

Old 03-10-2008, 08:24 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
We have one right next door in St. John, New Brunswick. That one is expanding. The Maine environmental industry fought tooth and nail against having a refinery in Maine. They fight against all infrastructure whether it's dams, wind power, nuclear plants, widening roads or a new store.
I have to spread some around but I agree 100% with you!

Old 03-11-2008, 07:23 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,094,896 times
Crude broke $109 a barrel this morning. I'm already hearing stories of OTR truckers and other high-capacity diesel users parking their rigs here in Maine. I imagine logging truck drivers aren't immune either. Big story in this morning's Portland Press Herald about potholes and towns emptying their road maintenance accounts trying to keep ahead of them.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:45 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
All Irving oil comes from Venezuela. It is refined in St. John, NB and comes to Maine by truck. Nearly all Citgo oil comes from Venezuela too. The new Valero stations use oil from Russia.

I'm looking forward to my economic stimulus wood splitter. I live on 107 acres and it's mostly hardwood.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:06 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
All Irving oil comes from Venezuela. It is refined in St. John, NB and comes to Maine by truck. Nearly all Citgo oil comes from Venezuela too. The new Valero stations use oil from Russia.

I'm looking forward to my economic stimulus wood splitter. I live on 107 acres and it's mostly hardwood.
Time for me to buy a wood lot I guess. I think we're going to have to get serious about burning wood not just as a supplement. I have a woodsplitter you might like to see sometime NMLM. I built it myself and put a 18 horsepower Wankel Rotary engine on it. That baby will split some wood! It will cut cross grain in wet oak! It came out nice and is not one of these clunky looking home made things with car tires on it.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:10 AM

4 posts, read 11,821 times
Default Just whom would nationalise, or "ize", the oil?

All the senators and reps are in the pockets of the oil companies. Howard Metzenbalm, or however you spell it, had to return $1,000,000.00 to Standard Oil of Ohio about 20 years ago. John Glenn has taken his place. George Bushwhacker is an oil man! So. Whom would you expect to nationalise the oil companies?....Goober

Old 04-28-2008, 10:19 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46rudolph View Post
All the senators and reps are in the pockets of the oil companies. Howard Metzenbalm, or however you spell it, had to return $1,000,000.00 to Standard Oil of Ohio about 20 years ago. John Glenn has taken his place. George Bushwhacker is an oil man! So. Whom would you expect to nationalise the oil companies?....Goober
I wouldn't say all but enough are invested in oil in one way or another to make sure that the oil companies will get their way.

I would be all for Nuclear energy if it wasn't so.............radioactive

Old 04-28-2008, 11:13 AM

2,059 posts, read 4,201,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
A quote from a recent Chicago Tribune:

Oil and gasoline are the lifeblood of our economy and even our society. We cannot survive as a nation without it. Maybe it is time to take petroleum out of the hands of profit hungry corporations. Maybe it is time to start talking about nationalizing oil.

Larry Zawilenski

Chicago

Perhaps Mr. Zawilenski has a point. Economists are saying $4.00 a gallon for gas and heating oil by next winter if something drastic doesn't happen That's $1100 to fill your oil tank ONCE folks! $96.00 to fill your truck! $60.00 to fill a compact car! Got a big Suburban?? take out a loan!

Maine is uniquely dependent on oil and gas. Whether you heat with oil, natural gas, propane, or electricity, the price of oil has a direct affect on how much you spend for heat.

Drive much?
In Maine we love our self reliance, and our space. For many of us this means the grocery store, post office, doctor, hardware store, feed store, or just about anything else is a bit of a drive. We consolidate trips as best we can but sometimes you have to make that special errand or go the the doctor etc.
Pretty soon that little trip to town and back may be costing you as much as a trip to Boston used to. Imagine buying the gas for a trip to Florida? It's cheaper to fly!

I know folks don't really like tough issues on this forum but this one isn't going away anytime soon! We need some REAL ideas on how to rein in these oil companies.....or do they need to be reined in? Are the oil companies at fault? Envrionmentalists? The war in Iraq? Commodity Traders? Barney The Purple Dinosaur? We really need to get a handle on this soon, so let's start talking!
This is an intelligent group, lets pool some intelligent ideas and maybe we can send one or two along to the powers that be.
IF THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION WERE TO BOYCOTT EVERY GAS STATION IN
THE US FOR JUST ONE DAY THAT WOULD GET SOME ONES ATTENTION.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
IF THE PEOPLE OF THIS NATION WERE TO BOYCOTT EVERY GAS STATION IN
THE US FOR JUST ONE DAY THAT WOULD GET SOME ONES ATTENTION.
I read somewhere that this senario would not hurt the oil companies one bit. Something to do with one days worth of gas sales nationally is just pocket change to these guys. Besides, how many Americans would be willing to do this-a majority in one way or another will be led to believe that this would somehow be considered communistic.

What if you were on E and had to fill up to get to work that day?

I believe that voting with your dollar sends the strongest signal, but I do not think that a nationwide boycott is realistic. Buying alternative fuel source vehicles could be one solution, but then again as oil sales drop the price will raise in order to maintain the profit margin. Personally, I think that the ultimate solution is to just learn to drive less as a country. The days of the 3 dollar gallon are long gone. Prices may stabilize for a period, but they will only continue to go up.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:34 AM

Or, we could create a better economic environment, in wear the rate of pay for the average worker increases in step with inflation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine