Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 09:19 AM
46H

1,650 posts, read 1,398,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
My first house did not have gutters and it had ice damming and water intrusion. My second house had gutters and did not have any ice damming or water intrusion. There are ways to mitigate ice damming, but it has nothing to do with gutters. The solution is a cold roof, as well as a waterproof membrane that lines the lower portion of the the roof underneath the shingles. My first house was built in 1986, before they had this figured out. My second house was built in 2005 and was designed to prevent ice damming. My current house was built in 2015 and also has no ice dam issues.
This is a great answer.
Just install an ice and water barrier. Something like this will work:
Ice and Water Barrier Products | Owens Corning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 03:50 PM

375 posts, read 608,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
One other thing: spring for the higher capacity gutters. I think the standard ones are 4" but you would do better with 5" or even 6" gutters.
Wasn't aware; thanks for the tip.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:59 PM

375 posts, read 608,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
This is a great answer.
Just install an ice and water barrier. Something like this will work:
Ice and Water Barrier Products | Owens Corning
Thanks Erik and 46H. Good to know.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:50 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times
Also, look at how your roof is designed and determine if there's a higher volume of rain run-off in certain areas. If so 5" or 6" gutters might be needed in those areas but no gutter, or smaller gutters, needed in others.

Also, while it's raining heavily, go for a walk around your house to find any problem areas on and around the house.

In the Winter, after a snowfall, look at your roof to see if the snow is melting quickly in any area that indicates heat loss. Peaks can melt because of the sun hitting/warming projecting ridges so don't worry much about those. Snow melting in the middle of a roof slope = problem.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:53 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90077 View Post
Contemplating a move to Maine and while perusing the online listings one newer ranch-style home caught my eye.

But photos show no rain gutters anywhere on this 16 year old house. Presuming the house never had any gutters, is this a red flag?

The series of photos, taken this month, includes one of the basement which appears dry.
Is there a basement under it? Look close for water infiltration!!! Regardless I would agree with others, gutters are a must have.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:53 PM

4,620 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Come see me! I'm in Upstate New York....about an hour form the snowiest city in the US. Getting clocked in the head with the ice in the snow is always so fun! Then again, I live in a Cape Cod with a steeply pitched roof. One winter, the snow actually ripped the gutters off the front of our house. Made a heck of a noise! We were in the middle of a blizzard when it happened.
I just saw one last week, off a triple decker. 500 sf of 12" deep snow falling 4 stories...

Old 02-25-2017, 04:19 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Take a yard stick and make sure your rain gutters are at least an inch below the extension of your roof angle. That way the ice will not rip your gutters off. If style permits, get dark brown gutters. The sun will thaw your gutter ice sooner than white gutters.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:57 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,299,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
In areas where it snows, rain gutters cause ice dams, which cause water intrusion into the house.
Exactly ! We were surprised when we moved to Maine from Virginia, and found how many houses actually did not have rain gutters. We quickly learned this reason as to why. Most of the houses around here do not have gutters.

Old 02-26-2017, 12:39 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Downspouts leading to barrels can aid irrigation in a dry year. You might even be able to gravity feed from the barrels.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:44 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I have seen rain gutters fill with ice, then due to the extreme weight they pulled away from the building. I installed rain gutters on a building I owned down in Connecticut, then a few years later I had to make the repairs after they ripped some siding off the wall. If you are going to install gutters, you need to pay close attention to how it is done and plan for what will happen when they are solid full of ice.

I know of a building in Bangor where they had to install electric heating tape inside their rain gutters to keep them flowing through the winter.

I have had rain barrels, they froze and split the seams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine