U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 11:25 AM

21,790 posts, read 28,218,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Peaches grow pretty well here on the coast. My neighbor has a tree that looks like it should be in Georgia in the late summer. I don't know the variety but there sure were a lot of them on the tree. The tree was really close to the house to block the wind as you mentioned.
I know about the 50% grown in Maine rule for the fair. The ironic thing is MOFGA sells El Salvadoran coffee on their website to help support our "sister country " or some such nonesense. A little consistency would be nice.
The instructor was a peach farmer who lives on a Maine peninsula [nearly an island] he is within that micro-climate, and his orchard is sheltered by surrounding tall forest.

Comparing his yield and marketing, per tree he produces a third of what peach trees would produce in a better climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
... I understand what MOFGA is doing but I thought they were a bit militant over a bevereage that COULDN'T be grown in Maine if you tried. After all we were volunteering our time to try to make the fair a success. A cup of coffee wasn't going to take away the soul of the fair. We had no problem going to the parking lot for a cup o' joe so it all worked out in the end and the fair remained pure.
My wife is so cool!

She has found these great inventions called 'Thermos-bottles', they hold hot liquids, or cold liquids for long periods of time.

During the past two MOFGA hippy fairs I have gone all weekend long, and I generally attend the workshops all day. They have so many great speakers that it is a highly valued experience to listen to and to question these people [highly valued by me at least].

I bring a backpack with multiple 'thermos-bottles' of coffee, and I freely share my coffee with others attending these workshops.

My coffee is a roasted-barley / coffee blend, that we like.

I think that perhaps if you tried these cool new 'thermos-bottles' it might help you to better enjoy the fair.

Old 03-04-2008, 12:40 PM

8,757 posts, read 11,555,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
My wife is so cool!

She has found these great inventions called 'Thermos-bottles', they hold hot liquids, or cold liquids for long periods of time.

During the past two MOFGA hippy fairs I have gone all weekend long, and I generally attend the workshops all day. They have so many great speakers that it is a highly valued experience to listen to and to question these people [highly valued by me at least].

I bring a backpack with multiple 'thermos-bottles' of coffee, and I freely share my coffee with others attending these workshops.

My coffee is a roasted-barley / coffee blend, that we like.

I think that perhaps if you tried these cool new 'thermos-bottles' it might help you to better enjoy the fair.

Great idea forest beekeeper, sarcasm noted and stored for future reference.
The problem we had was we didn't know about the coffee ban before we arrived for the weekend. We stayed in a camper in the parking lot across from the main gate. Many of us (myself included) car pooled or were dropped off by family members as we were staying for a few days and didn't have any way to go to town for "extra " provisions. It really was not a big issue and the weekend was very nice over all. As far as enjoying the Common Ground Fair goes it's a bit too granola-ish for my tastes. I prefer the many other agricultural fairs around the state. To each his own as they say!

Old 03-04-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Great idea forest beekeeper, sarcasm noted and stored for future reference. The problem we had was we didn't know about the coffee ban before we arrived for the weekend. We stayed in a camper in the parking lot across from the main gate. Many of us (myself included) car pooled or were dropped off by family members as we were staying for a few days and didn't have any way to go to town for "extra " provisions. It really was not a big issue and the weekend was very nice over all. As far as enjoying the Common Ground Fair goes it's a bit too granola-ish for my tastes. I prefer the many other agricultural fairs around the state. To each his own as they say!
I did not intend offense. I tried to make it sound 'funny'. So much for my effort.

We learned about their odd policies concerning coffee and lemonade our first year. So since then we have made adjustments to continue with our own coffee anyway.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:28 PM

47 posts, read 82,826 times
Quote:
My coffee is a roasted-barley / coffee blend

Buzz beer?

(this is only really funny if you have watched the Drew Carey Show. )

Old 03-04-2008, 02:29 PM

47 posts, read 82,826 times
Quote:
Yes of course MOFGA and the Common Ground fair where coffee is outlawed.
But at least the Thermos bottle I've packed my wife's coffee in for the last few fairs is from LLBean. But she gets her coffee fix, I make sure of it.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:41 PM

231 posts, read 406,852 times
this is funny about the coffee...they should have atleast offered Maine coffee if anything, after all so many people rely on coffee to get through a day...but I don't know how they'd grow coffee in Maine...but I don't know enough of the situation at all so that's where I'll stop haha.

I'm glad that peaches can make it up there, I'd love to plant a few of the right kind.

Thanks for the suggestions it looks like we're looking in the right area perhaps. I think I am feeling that much of Maine has a strong sense of supporting local things when they can so thats great. Even some of the larger communities seem to have a sense of this. I love how there are so many festivities and things to do locally and crab and lobster and other festivals yearly. What fun Down the line I'd love to make and buy home-made soaps, clothes, whatever... for now we are most concerned about foods for certain reasons, and finding a community that has a strong local farmers market where we could participate and start growing and selling too. We have many options I'm sure.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:51 PM

8,757 posts, read 11,555,188 times
Quote:
I did not intend offense. I tried to make it sound 'funny'. So much for my effort.

We learned about their odd policies concerning coffee and lemonade our first year. So since then we have made adjustments to continue with our own coffee anyway.

Now I'm the one who feels bad...I wasn't offended, I thought you were being sarcastic as naturally everyone has heard of thermos bottles haven't they? I don't even know why I'm defending coffee anyway as I usually only drink one cup a day.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:59 PM

2,466 posts, read 3,022,104 times
The Blue Hill area has alot of organic farmers. That is where the money is. The communities down this way are big store resistant, but there isn't the population down here that would make a big store want to move in. It really is a nice area to live in (Blue Hill area) in spite of the granola crowd.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:18 PM

1,567 posts, read 2,227,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emu742 View Post
Anyways... we are looking for communities/towns/areas that have this mindset. In other words, we want to be part of a community who is blocking the walmarts from building, and is wanting to keep things small even if it means less income and 'fancy stuff'.
From what I've seen... it seems the area between Blue Hill and Rockland might be this way the most? Is this true?
Belfast is probably the town you're looking for. It was the heart of the back-to-the-land movement back in the 1970s, and you can still see a lot of old hippies walking the streets and in the co-op and Green Store. There's a big fight going on there right now over Big Box stores, but the trend is against them. Unity, the home of MOFGA and the Common Ground Fair, is another possibility, as are any of the small towns in Waldo County. I'm partial to Searsmont, myself.

Quote:
Also, we are hoping that these kinds of communities are really big on organic farming and grass-fed animals? Hopefully this holds true, it seems it would go hand in hand in my head. We would be more than happy to fork over more of our money to good quality food and helping fellow farmers than spending our money on other things. I know Maine has lots of farmers markets and organizations, what about organic grocery stores? I guess from what I've been reading ...most stuff gets shipped in to the local grocery store? We'd like to support more sustainable stuff if we can (and be a part of it too- growing and such).
MOFGA is the largest state organic growers organization in the country, and the number of small, organic farms in Maine keeps increasing. You won't have any trouble finding grass-fed beef, free-range chickens, community-supported agriculture operations, farmers markets and co-op/natural foods stores. I think the Belfast Co-Op is the biggest natural foods store in the region.

Quote:
Lastly...I've heard a lot of talk on NPR lately of toxic fish and how hard it is to get clean fish not full of mercury etc. Is this a major problem in Maine just like everywhere else? We'd love to support local seafood businesses, but are a little worried about this. Maybe its unavoidable though.
As already noted, the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife suggests that children, pregnant and nursing women, and even adult men limit their intake of freshwater fish because of mercury contamination. Maine is located at the tailpipe of America, and one result is that mercury-laden pollutants from coal-fired power plants in the Midwest wash down into our lakes and rivers with the rain. If you stand on top of Mount Katahdin on the clear day, you can see a slight brownish haze all along the horizon -- that's smog from power plants of the Midwest and the cars and trucks in the big cities of the East Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine