Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 05:06 PM

1,665 posts, read 973,349 times

Advertisements

Hello, D here again. As some of you may already know, I've been asking about Maine. I am wondering if there's anyone here who may be from the Houlton area who may be able to offer insight. I have been eyeing a few places around the area and one really has my attention. It is located at 8 Porter Settlement Rd, near the Meduxnekeag River down at Carys Mills. (Zillow) Anyone know about if there's flooding in area? And if insurances would be high. I tried to look online for some info but came up empty handed. Also for jobs. I've read on a Mooers Realty blog something about 3 part time jobs. (?) Also, when and if we do relocate (hoping real soon), we'll be buying out house and land so there would be no mortgage. I know...Will have to worry about property tax, electric and other bills. We will be working, that's something we're not afraid of doing. Looking for a community that is welcoming to people that never experiences snow. Except an occasional fall here every several years. Never accumulating enough for a snowball. But, it's something my family is looking forward to. Family members are my wife, oldest son and his soon to be wife, and their son. Looking for a better place to live out our lives in a slower pace and in a safe area, for my grandson. We're currently in Louisiana. I'm a career firefighter with a total of 16 years under my belt. I want to slow it down some all these years of crawling on floors, falling through floors pulling hose has been taking a toll on me. Not complaining though...hahaha. She works in an elderly home. My son is a licensed (degree) automotive tech. His wife probably a stay at home mom for now. I'll appreciate ANY information yall will throw my direction!! Thank you guys....And gals...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 05:28 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Aroostook County is "the Garden of Maine".....excellent for many crops.
Southern Aroostook is a very nice, rural area. Houlton is not far and is a nice town.
No real flooding in that area.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:34 PM

1,665 posts, read 973,349 times
That sounds great. Because I can see myself waking up, drink some coffee and be fishing in my jammies lol...

Thank you...

Old 02-22-2017, 07:46 PM

428 posts, read 553,789 times
I lived a bit south of the area (Amity) for about a year. We ended up moving to southern Maine for work. Jobs are scarce in the area, but there may be opportunities in elder care. It is a beautiful area and I found the people to be very nice.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:51 AM

973 posts, read 2,380,417 times
I'm familiar with the area. I've seen the water up to the bottom of the bridge that crosses the river there. That house is a few feet lower than the bridge, so definitely there has been water almost to the door. The basement would get water in the spring. I haven't noticed from that house because it's off the road, but there is a house just behind that one where in the spring you can see two 1 1/2 inch pipes coming out the basement window that are pumping water full time. The house has been there a long time so whatever water issues there are can be dealt with. If you have a mortgage and are required to purchase flood insurance, that house is definitely on the flood plain. There are jobs around if you aren't afraid of physical labor. Plenty of work on farms, in potato houses, etc. There are 3 elderly care facilities in Houlton so your wife will have no problem finding work. Not sure how much they pay though. Good luck. One of the best fish holes in the Meduxnekeag River is about 200 yards from that house. It's not a secret, you will see folks fishing there all the time.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:14 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,201,985 times
Property taxes in Houlton are a little rugged for what you get. Nice little town, though, with some amazing old "potato subsidy" architecture. There was a GREAT show on PBS a year or two ago about Houlton. When WWII started, the U.S. wanted to kinda stay out of it. They wouldn't launch military aircraft going to Europe from U.S. soil, so they folded up the wings at the Houlton airport and towed quite a few fighters across the border to New Brunswick to fly to Europe. I'm sure the story is deeper than that, but a very interesting history tidbit.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:18 PM

23,558 posts, read 18,661,418 times
It appears that property is served by Houlton Water Company, which has the lowest electricity rates in the area and soon to drop lower once the planned tie in with the New Brunswick grid is complete.

Are you set on that property? The neighboring town of New Limerick is on HWC as well but has MUCH lower taxes, due to the mill being there.

She will have no problems getting a job in elderly care, just don't expect much above minimum wage to start. As an auto tech, your son should eventually find something. Not sure what you meant by "Looking for a community that is welcoming to people that never experiences snow", did you mean to say something else? Because Houlton area gets a lot of snow!

Old 02-23-2017, 01:50 PM

1,453 posts, read 2,201,985 times
Be sure to hit Grammie's Restaurant out on Route 2 in Linneus when you visit Houlton. Stunning amount of food. Love the area, but wife's family is from Thee Counteeeee and she wouldn't move up there on a bet. Not enough going on unless you hunt, fish and go looking for further recreation.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:54 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It appears that property is served by Houlton Water Company, which has the lowest electricity rates in the area and soon to drop lower once the planned tie in with the New Brunswick grid is complete.

Are you set on that property? The neighboring town of New Limerick is on HWC as well but has MUCH lower taxes, due to the mill being there.

She will have no problems getting a job in elderly care, just don't expect much above minimum wage to start. As an auto tech, your son should eventually find something. Not sure what you meant by "Looking for a community that is welcoming to people that never experiences snow", did you mean to say something else? Because Houlton area gets a lot of snow!
I think he meant people who are moving there who have never really experienced snow.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:18 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,387,424 times
While Maine does have a desert, so no snow is not to far off...

Desert of Maine - Welcome!

(I know its not a real desert, before i become the forums laughing stock.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine