Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 07:02 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoodnutt View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Submariner,

Could you give please me those "other websites"?

I've been looking for "homes to Rent" (Rural) and really can't find much.

Thanks!

CTwoodnutt.......(hoping to soon become "ME"woodnutt
Really I think the others are all scams. People are now calling me wanting money to upgrade my listings, ...

Zillow and Craigslist are the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 06:09 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,668,595 times
I think a lot of people in Maine use Uncle Henry's more than Craig's List (at least for buying and selling stuff). I don't know if that would apply to rentals, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:42 PM

77 posts, read 84,154 times
Have you considered looking for a HUD home to buy? They require a much lower down payment and some are very inexpensive.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:31 PM

87 posts, read 79,278 times
Sorry to tag onto this thread, but I have a related question- is there any good way to find a short term rental, say 2-3 months? Could be anything from a house to a one bedroom apartment- it is me, my wife, 3 daughters and a cat. We have some houses we have been watching from afar in our budget to purchase that we will be traveling around to look at once we get back there and will be spending most days lookin at properties, which is why I don't mind a tiny apartment just to have a place to sleep at night. I was just hoping to find something a little cheaper than a motel, as well as having a kitchen to be able to make meals instead of living on fast food and microwaveables.

The problem is, I only need it for a couple months, long enough to settle on a house, put in a cash offer, do any minor repairs to make it liveable and move in, so I don't want a 6 month or longer lease. Another concern in cost- I know there's fully furnished executive homes around that fit the bill, but anything I spend comes out of my meager home fund for purchasing and repairing our home.

Any ideas, or am I just better off biting the bullet and doing an extended stay hotel or weekly motel or something? It just adds up to quite a bit more money that the $5-700 apartments I see around on CL.

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2017, 05:03 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
check the newspapers and also

property management companies

I went into a town store a week ago and many of these stores (grocery or convenience stores)
they have a local bulletin boards and locals will list stuff to sell but also apartments and home rentals....
I saw a sign "in search of" 2 bedroom home rental"

I thought that was a good idea

if you know the areas you want to be....and you come up to look around,,,,,check on the local bulletin boards

Old 03-22-2017, 06:15 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,053 times
It will be difficult for you to burn wood as a renter. When I rented my house I had to put in inefficient propane burners in three of the rooms. My insurance agent refused to insure a property where a renter was running wood stove.

Your requirements are a lot more like someone who purchases their house. I have a house like that, that I was renting in 2008-2011 before I moved in as the owner after retirement. When I needed a new renter I put a small ad for a week in The Ellsworth American. More than 100 people called the rental agent. They said: "make it stop!" A full size 5 bedroom house on 1.5 acres next to a national park for $1000 was apparently unheard of. Unfortunately the chosen renters only paid their rent on time 2 of the 12 months they were there, and that was a hardship for me because I needed their rent money to pay for the mortgage on the property.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:36 PM

201 posts, read 195,067 times
Hi Phoenix02,
It would probably help if people knew what area of Maine you want to be in, that makes a big difference. For the best answers anyway you might want to think about that and any other special needs- like info on schools for kids if needed. I'd put it in a new post, otherwise it will get buried/ confused with the original posters question.
NG

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix02 View Post
Sorry to tag onto this thread, but I have a related question- is there any good way to find a short term rental, say 2-3 months? Could be anything from a house to a one bedroom apartment- it is me, my wife, 3 daughters and a cat. We have some houses we have been watching from afar in our budget to purchase that we will be traveling around to look at once we get back there and will be spending most days lookin at properties, which is why I don't mind a tiny apartment just to have a place to sleep at night. I was just hoping to find something a little cheaper than a motel, as well as having a kitchen to be able to make meals instead of living on fast food and microwaveables.

The problem is, I only need it for a couple months, long enough to settle on a house, put in a cash offer, do any minor repairs to make it liveable and move in, so I don't want a 6 month or longer lease. Another concern in cost- I know there's fully furnished executive homes around that fit the bill, but anything I spend comes out of my meager home fund for purchasing and repairing our home.

Any ideas, or am I just better off biting the bullet and doing an extended stay hotel or weekly motel or something? It just adds up to quite a bit more money that the $5-700 apartments I see around on CL.

Thanks!

Old 03-25-2017, 05:20 PM

304 posts, read 397,068 times
Default Yes, MBM that's a great idae!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
check the newspapers and also

property management companies

I went into a town store a week ago and many of these stores (grocery or convenience stores)
they have a local bulletin boards and locals will list stuff to sell but also apartments and home rentals....
I saw a sign "in search of" 2 bedroom home rental"

I thought that was a good idea

if you know the areas you want to be....and you come up to look around,,,,,check on the local bulletin boards

Hi Mainebrokerman,

Yes, that's a great idea!
I'm hoping to get up o Maine next month to start looking around, all up/down the NW side of the state, say between Rumford/Farmingham, North to Rangeley, Upton, over to Strong,,Phillips, and possibly over around Sugarloaf etc.

The only "fly in the ointment" will be IF my Wife can accompany me....
She's in Danbury CT Hospital, with a Liver condition, which may prevent her from travelling then.

I appreciate yours, and everyones comments on my questions here!

Thanks! CTwoodnutt

Old 03-25-2017, 05:23 PM

304 posts, read 397,068 times
Default RE: A HUD Home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugenieB View Post
Have you considered looking for a HUD home to buy? They require a much lower down payment and some are very inexpensive.
Hi EugenieB,

Now there's a great idea!

Just HOW would I go about looking for a HUD Home?

By going on the HUD site?

Or are they listed through the State of Maine?

I'll check into it, but if you know EXACTLY how, please let me know!

Thanks EugenieB

CTwoodnutt

Old 03-25-2017, 10:42 PM

77 posts, read 84,154 times
Hi CTwoodnutt, yes there is a link on the Hud.gov site called the HUD Home store where they list them by location.

You need to have a HUD registered broker to buy one and there are a few in Rumford. The easiest thing may be to give them a ringy dingy to ask questions and see if this would be something that would work for you.
here's the link I used to find them:
https://www.hudhomestore.com/Listing/BrokerSearch.aspx
and here's the HUD site with all sorts of info:
https://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD.../reo/reobuyfaq

Good Luck with your search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine