Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 04:41 PM

565 posts, read 934,670 times

Advertisements

Digging with just a shovel or post hole digger seems borderline impossible.
I think I need to either get a pick axe or a digger bar? Would renting a Gas Auger be more efficient/how does the augers handle the rocks??

Need to dig out holes for about a dozen posts. Trying to go 3.5-4' if possible, but 3' will work too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 05:53 PM

428 posts, read 553,789 times
If it's anything like our soil the gas auger won't work any better. I can usually set T-Posts by adjusting whre they are placed a bit. I hd to set some 4 Inch cedar posts in quickcrete for one fence when I couldn't sink them deep enough. You may need a rock drill to break them up.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:03 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
I use a backhoe.

You never can tell when that rock poking up may turn out to be the size of a VW.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
If it's anything like our soil the gas auger won't work any better. I can usually set T-Posts by adjusting whre they are placed a bit. I hd to set some 4 Inch cedar posts in quickcrete for one fence when I couldn't sink them deep enough. You may need a rock drill to break them up.

Hmm... this is great info, but not what I wanted to hear. I think with the ways the glaciers left the state years ago they left most of the soil like this. Least those of us that are too far from the coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I use a backhoe.

You never can tell when that rock poking up may turn out to be the size of a VW.
I appreciate the feedback, but that is just not possible (financially).... either is concrete in the holes. This fence needs to be easily removable. At the same time durable enough to withstand the crazy Maine winds we get with storms all year long. This is why I wanted to bury it 4' if possible. Going to be 8' tall.

Also, how does one use a backhoe to dig post holes? Clear the whole area, then set the post and refill it?

Last edited by inthetrees; 05-07-2017 at 07:00 PM..

Old 05-07-2017, 07:09 PM

428 posts, read 553,789 times
You might consider renting a rock drill. Probably cheaper than renting a backhoe.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:52 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
Explosives work well. And its lots of fun too. Of course, getting the substance is a lot harder than talking about it. You have to have a license for that, something I don't have, of course.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:48 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
I built a pole barn with 14 utility poles set 4 or 5 feet in the ground. It took less than 5 hours to set all 14 poles with a back hoe. Then I made them all true and back filled them. Before I put the roof trusses up on my 24 x 40 foot barn I checked corner to corner. the difference was 3/8 of an inch. Close enough.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:57 AM

973 posts, read 2,380,417 times
Home Depot rents a towable post hole auger that would be my choice. A regular post hole auger that looks like an ice auger would give you quite a thrashing in rocky soil. The towable one is heavier with most of the weight in the chassis and engine. It will still bark at the rocks, but will kick them out of the way if you are talking rocks 6 inches in diameter and smaller. Obviously any rock bigger than that will stop you. "Google Home Depot rental towable auger" Most Rental shops will have something similar.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
Home Depot rents a towable post hole auger that would be my choice. A regular post hole auger that looks like an ice auger would give you quite a thrashing in rocky soil. The towable one is heavier with most of the weight in the chassis and engine. It will still bark at the rocks, but will kick them out of the way if you are talking rocks 6 inches in diameter and smaller. Obviously any rock bigger than that will stop you. "Google Home Depot rental towable auger" Most Rental shops will have something similar.
Thanks! looks like this or something like this.

Ground Hog

Unfortunately doesn't seem my two "local" HD's carry this type of tool. However I will call around other tool rental centers. This seems dramatically safer than the hand held augers, even the 2 person ones.
And good for my bad back as well....

Old 05-09-2017, 06:33 AM

973 posts, read 2,380,417 times
Not sure how close you are to Bangor, but United Rental appears to have a towable auger. Probably spendy, but it will do the job. Some Rental shops also have a Bobcat with auger attachment. That would definitely be spendy and you would need to pay for delivery and pickup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: