U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Status: "Older and decidedly wiser!" (set 27 days ago)
 
8,759 posts, read 11,695,127 times
Reputation: 3436

Advertisements

Do you love lobsters? Are they something you look forward to?
I really like lobsters. Though for the last 12 years or so I pretty much avoided them.
I used to have a little 16 foot aluminum boat and fished 25 old wooden traps every summer. We had all the lobsters we could use. Even the cat had lobster meat on occasion.
It also just so happened that every summer I would get gout in my right big toe. If you never had gout it’s really painful. My doctor once asked my wife if she remembered the pain of childbirth….naturally she said oh yes quite well. He said that’s pretty much what gout felt like except in your foot. After that she finally believed me when I told her the pain was just about unbearable!
I got some medicine and it kind of worked but it seemed summer still always gave me a problem.
Years later I heard that lobsters could cause gout in some people so I went without lobsters for a summer….guess what??? No more gout! Well long story short I sold the boat and sold the traps to tourists for whatever tourists use lobster traps for and that was it for my lobstering hobby.
Last year I found something that stops the gout completely and flushes you out so now I can have a lobster once in a while without looking for the crutches. Tart Cherry Juice.
I get it from a cherry farm in Michigan and it really works.
If I know we’re having a family outing and will be serving “bugs” as we call them I load up on the cherry juice and eat dried cherries for a few days beforehand and I can eat at least two of them without even a hint of trouble! YAY! I don’t think I’ll ever go back to fishing for them (especially now with the licenses and laws) though it’s nice to join in again with the family and not feel I have to gnaw on a burger while everyone else enjoys Maine’s premiere gourmet indulgence.

How about you? Like’em? Love ‘em? Take ‘em or Leave ‘em? Despise ‘em?

Favorite recipe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-09-2008, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Louisiana - someday Maine
474 posts, read 920,764 times
Reputation: 311
Well to be honest, I don't really like lobstahs! I love shrimp, but the first time I had lobstahs we were in a restaurant in Bar Harbor - AND all the people in there were cracking and cracking and that was it for me. Speaking of gout! My poor hubby has a terrible case of it right now and can't wait until morning when he can call the doctor! Last night it was so bad that he took one of my superduper pain pills that I keep on hand for emergencies! I don't think I'll tell him about lobsters - since he loves them so much and we'll be up in a few days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2008, 11:28 PM
Status: "Older and decidedly wiser!" (set 27 days ago)
 
8,759 posts, read 11,695,127 times
Reputation: 3436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMAINE2 View Post
Well to be honest, I don't really like lobstahs! I love shrimp, but the first time I had lobstahs we were in a restaurant in Bar Harbor - AND all the people in there were cracking and cracking and that was it for me. Speaking of gout! My poor hubby has a terrible case of it right now and can't wait until morning when he can call the doctor! Last night it was so bad that he took one of my superduper pain pills that I keep on hand for emergencies! I don't think I'll tell him about lobsters - since he loves them so much and we'll be up in a few days.
I'm telling you! Google Tart Cherry Juice King Orchards. They'll Fed Ex it to you! I buy the tart dried cherries and the concentrate. You have to mix the concentrate seven to one with water or juice to drink it, and it is pretty tart. The dried cherries are good on salads or just as a snack. I have taken indocin, colchicine and allopurinol and the cherry juice works better for me than any of the pharmacy meds. I DO know how your hubby feels and I sympathize completely.
By the way my absolute favorite Maine seafood is fried Maine shrimp!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2008, 11:57 PM
 
Location: Louisiana - someday Maine
474 posts, read 920,764 times
Reputation: 311
Just went to their website, but we don't think it will get here before we leave. I'm going to the stores tomorrow and see if I can find any Tart Cherry Juice. He's up again - the pain pill wore off AND I told him how much he hurt!!!! He looked at me strange and I told him that Maineah said it was worse than when his wife went through childbirth! I can't remember what it was like for me - they had me knocked out! LOL Now, I'm looking forward to some Maine fried shrimp. Yummy, I can almost taste them now. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2008, 12:11 AM
Status: "Older and decidedly wiser!" (set 27 days ago)
 
8,759 posts, read 11,695,127 times
Reputation: 3436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMAINE2 View Post
Just went to their website, but we don't think it will get here before we leave. I'm going to the stores tomorrow and see if I can find any Tart Cherry Juice. He's up again - the pain pill wore off AND I told him how much he hurt!!!! He looked at me strange and I told him that Maineah said it was worse than when his wife went through childbirth! I can't remember what it was like for me - they had me knocked out! LOL Now, I'm looking forward to some Maine fried shrimp. Yummy, I can almost taste them now. Thanks.
I wish I could think of something that would make him feel better. If you can't get the TART Cherry juice (not regular cherrys) find a doctor to give him some indocin. That stuff takes gout away for me quite quickly. It's a strong drug though so I only take it if I ABSOLUTELY need it. It literally stands my hair on end! Colchicine is also a good choice. He can take a couple of them every few hours until the attack subsides. I know this is off topic Cornerguy but this is an emergency!! (sort of) Back to lobster talk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2008, 12:15 AM
Status: "Older and decidedly wiser!" (set 27 days ago)
 
8,759 posts, read 11,695,127 times
Reputation: 3436
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVMAINE2 View Post
Just went to their website, but we don't think it will get here before we leave. I'm going to the stores tomorrow and see if I can find any Tart Cherry Juice. He's up again - the pain pill wore off AND I told him how much he hurt!!!! He looked at me strange and I told him that Maineah said it was worse than when his wife went through childbirth! I can't remember what it was like for me - they had me knocked out! LOL Now, I'm looking forward to some Maine fried shrimp. Yummy, I can almost taste them now. Thanks.
Now you have me thinking about some shrimp. There is a fish seller who sets up a truck downtown on Tuesday or Wednesday. I think I'll have to stop and pick up a few shrimp for dinner. Thanks for the idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2008, 01:53 AM
 
Location: Maryland not Murlin
7,504 posts, read 14,627,148 times
Reputation: 4707
I think lobster is gross. Everyone else does too as is evident by the amount of butter that is required to go along with it.

Lobsters themselves, though, are quite fascinating.

They can regenerate any part of of their body.

They don't have a brain, per se.

Lobsters will eat just about anything-even other lobsters. Take a peak in the lobster tank at the grocery store. Look for the one that is missing its face. Another lobster ate it.

Lobsters can actually swim into and out of lobster traps.

Lobsters can live for over 75 years and grow to over 20 pounds. Legal sized chicks are between four and seven years old.

Female lobsters that are caught are tagged by punching a hole in their tail and tossed back into the ocean so they could one day lay more eggs (at least by the legal lobstermen).

Women who catch lobster actually prefer to be called lobstermen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2008, 04:44 AM
 
Location: 43.55N 69.58W
3,231 posts, read 4,869,296 times
Reputation: 2927
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I think lobster is gross. Everyone else does too as is evident by the amount of butter that is required to go along with it.

Lobsters themselves, though, are quite fascinating.

They can regenerate any part of of their body.

They don't have a brain, per se.

Lobsters will eat just about anything-even other lobsters. Take a peak in the lobster tank at the grocery store. Look for the one that is missing its face. Another lobster ate it.

Lobsters can actually swim into and out of lobster traps.

Lobsters can live for over 75 years and grow to over 20 pounds. Legal sized chicks are between four and seven years old.

Female lobsters that are caught are tagged by punching a hole in their tail and tossed back into the ocean so they could one day lay more eggs (at least by the legal lobstermen).

Women who catch lobster actually prefer to be called lobstermen.
K luv,

I loved your post, however there a few a few points that I don't agree upon.

A Maine lobster is not able to swim out of a trap due to the size of its claws. The only way a lobster could escape a Maine trap would be to back out and they would be nearly impossible due to the construction of the trap.

As far as the lobsters ability to regenerate any body part, after a lobster has lost its claw it could take many, many years to re-grow that claw. They are usually harvested first and then known as a cull.

Also, EVERY lobsterman I've ever known fishes legally, to do otherwise would be detrimental to his/her livelihood and that of his/her family, whom he/she could pass his/her license down to.

As far as women fisherman preferring to be referred to as a fisherman/lobsterman, the term fisherwoman/ lobsterwoman just doesn't have the same ring to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2008, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Montville Me
182 posts, read 317,917 times
Reputation: 84
There is little else in this world that beats eating some bugs you pulled from the sea only an hour ago. Some of the most fun I've ever had was as a sternman on a friends boat as we ran a couple hobby lines of traps. First trap I ever pulled had 3 keepers. We notched egg bearing females religiously and it was a source of great pride to throw her back knowing she was now safe to continue to breed.

Read "The Secret Life of Lobsters". Scientists have put video camera's on some traps to study what goes on and found they go in and out seemingly at will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2008, 07:35 AM
 
2,133 posts, read 3,819,427 times
Reputation: 1370
Family-wide allergy to shellfish. Even if I wasn't allergic, I wouldn't eat a lobster if I was starving. Yuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top