Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 01:26 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,300,655 times

Advertisements

Okay " Irv in Ct".... are you in Maine yet ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 11:41 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,202,798 times
Just cram it all in and on one pickup truck. Lotsa rope. You'll fit right in, like I used to comment to old Charlie in Atkinson when he'd load up his truck : ". . . are you moving, going camping or going to the dump?"

Old 08-17-2017, 05:17 PM

304 posts, read 397,068 times
Default I'm getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
Okay " Irv in Ct".... are you in Maine yet ?

Hi Maineborzoi,

I've been boxing up all of my seemingly 1,00,000 items (think I'm kidding?) all month long.
I'm slowly filling up one side of a two car garage, and some of the loft upstairs.

I'm not done yet...

Gotta get my beautiful Pacific Energy Woodstove insert out of the fireplace, disassemble it, and pack that all up too.

People's United Bank in Waterville, who is the Mortgage originator, did the House Assessment on Monday 14th, but I have not heard anything back from them, or my lady Realtor, out of Rumford yet(?).
My decision on just when to pick up my reserved 26' U-Haul truck and car dolly, hinges on what they tell me.

So, I'm in a "holding pattern" right now.

But, really, I could use a bit more time to get everything in my house boxed up, and ready to just move out the door and into the truck, the moment I do pick it up.

I hope that I can find someone in my 'new area' of Peru, Maine (just 8 minutes East of Rumford) to help me install my woodstove into the new house.
I'll have to cut a hole in the ceiling, then through the attic/roof, to install two box-stovepipe connectors, and all of the stove pipe.

I want that baby ready for the cool Autumn weather!

I just LOVE my woodstove fires!

Have a good night!

Irv in CT, about two weeks left here, I hope!

Old 08-18-2017, 07:40 AM

Sounds like all Great progress !

Old 08-22-2017, 04:21 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
Irv plans:

"I hope that I can find someone in my 'new area' of Peru, Maine (just 8 minutes East of Rumford) to help me install my woodstove into the new house.
I'll have to cut a hole in the ceiling, then through the attic/roof, to install two box-stovepipe connectors, and all of the stove pipe."

Plan ahead. Sooner or later you may want to replace a section of stove pipe without tearing down the whole thing. This is true for ordinary single wall stove pipe or Metalbest pipe. To avoid that process, put down some rug material on your floor. Cover that with 2 inch thick concrete patio tile.

Then, when you want to replace a section of stove pipe, you jack up the stove 1/4 inch, slide out the blocks and set the stove down. That leaves your stove pipe hanging with a 2 inch gap. Do your stove pipe work and jack the stove back up to the pipe, slide the blocks back in place and you are good to go for a few more decades.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:16 AM

8,755 posts, read 5,050,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoodnutt View Post
Hi Submariner, Well, yes, it's just ME, myself & I (there will be three of me) .
I might have another friend of my able to DRIVE a second truck, but he's not really up to loading/unloading, so It's going to /GOT to be me, myself & I, for 90% of it all.

Yes that's going to be a lot of work, but I'm used to that.

I WILL have to recruit a little help from my 'new neighbors' (once I meet them).
But, I've got nobody else to help me.
I'm pretty self sufficient and can do most anything myself.
I wish that my dear Wife Eileen was still here, but she's not, so I have to 'Soldier On' alone in Life.

We do what we all have to do, in this Life, don't we?

Irv in CT.....four weeks and counting.
I would not count on neighbor`s that I haven`t even met yet. That is a sure way to have people avoid you at all cost. Be a good neighbor first, and let them get to know you before you ask them to do a lot of work. Besides they may be elderly or in bad health.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:51 AM

337 posts, read 429,763 times
No one has mentioned the mileage cost for a UHAUL truck yet. That's $99 a mile here in CT. Like you, we are heading north within 6-9 months. I rent trucks from time to time for my business here in Enfield.

Figure four trips: two up and two back and you're looking at $1200 mileage cost mininum PLUS the cost of the actual fuel you'll be putting in. The cost of the daily rental is a paltry $40/day. So, say you've got five/six days with the truck total for a max of $250, $1200 for mileage cost, and you'll only get about 12 miles per gallon if that will cost you another $300 or so total for gas (300 miles x 4 is 1200 miles /12 mpg). You're looking at a DIY for about $1700.

At our attained age (I'm 65 now) there's no way I would do this move myself. I want to enjoy my migration North when it comes in the Spring so I'm pricing out pods and moving companies and we're also really paring down what we're going to take with us and what we're donating. There are some young bucks that I can also hire to move my stuff North if I need them. They're negotiate a reasonable cost for a long weekend. We've already give away our entire bedroom suite to an organization that helps indigent families get back on their feet. We're literally living our of plastic bins figuring we'll buy new furniture when we figure out what we can fit in our new digs. We've also rented a storage place in town so that stuff we will eventually move is all in one spot making it easier to figure out our moving needs.

I truly envy you having made the leap. Once our house is sold we'll go to Maine and apply for a pre-approved mortgage so we can shop with impunity and work on an impulse if we wish. I've seen a ton of really nice houses up there. We're heading back next month for 7 days, too, to enjoy a bit of Seawall in Acadia and also explore the Owls Head area a bit more.

Good luck. I'll be watching for your summary of your experiences as will others!

Rome

Old 08-25-2017, 08:31 PM

304 posts, read 397,068 times
Default Getting there, looks like Friday September 8th...

Hi Group,

It looks like I can Close on Friday September 8th (unless something changes...).

I've reserved my 26' Uhaul and car carrier and will pick it up September 6th.
By luck, I have three other fellows who will help me move my furniture, and 10,000 boxes and help load the truck.
I may have another fellow who said that he would come up with me, but we'll see.
My lady realtor Brenda, has two fellows lined up from Rumford to help unload in Peru.
No, I wouldn't bother any of my new neighbors, of course.
Then I'll drop off the 26' truck in Rumford and drive my S-10 back to CT.
My neighbor said that I could use his companies 10X7 foot trailer for the next two loads.

I'll have to drive back to CT one last time, to tow up my 19' boat, which I'll use in Maine.

I should be complete with everything by the third week of September.

(Then again, I should have won this past weeks $758,850,000.00 lottery)!

I'll be boxing stuff up over the weekend...

Have a good weekend, everyone.

Irv. T-minus two weeks till liftoff.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:12 PM

Excellent News ! In prayers for an uneventful move !

Old 08-27-2017, 11:09 AM

3 posts, read 3,254 times
Wonderful! Hope all goes well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine