U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 10:03 PM

6,977 posts, read 6,693,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I agree be very wary of Route 1 in the summer time, at least until you get past Brunswick or even Wiscasset. TERRIBLE traffic jams at times.
Chimney Pond is an amazing short hike; you are right down in the "bowl" of Katahdin, looking up at it.
Right, I would definitely get north of Wiscasset if you want to avoid the bad jams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 10:10 PM

11,024 posts, read 13,362,649 times
I will definitely take that advice about Route 1. The last thing I want is to sit in painful traffic for tens of miles during my vacation. Especially with my leg/hip pain issues while driving.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:21 PM

1,843 posts, read 814,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
You are going to be doing alot of driving if you try to cover all that territory in a 2-3 day trip. Maine is b-i-g.

From what I know, having family there, Portland area would be place for younger folks. But there are many knowledgeable posters here, they will probably weight in. Good luck.
Big? Not really, Its ranked 39th in size.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:56 AM

901 posts, read 389,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Big? Not really, Its ranked 39th in size.
Of course you are correct, I should have been more specific. Maine is big compared to other NE states. If I remember correctly, mid CT to Portland is less than half the distance of Portland to Eastport.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:07 AM

895 posts, read 425,666 times
I doubt you'll run into any moose or bear in Acadia. Have fun though. I still haven't had the guts to do the beehive trail yet.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:22 AM

15,072 posts, read 19,713,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
But anyway, how come the state lags far behind with young people?
Maine is a great place to live, but Maine is a hard place to make a living. Simple as that.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:32 AM

4,851 posts, read 3,513,743 times
Maine is up in the corner of the country (and there ain't much to the northeast of us.......or so goes the thinking).
So for 75 years the young people have felt the need to "get away" and see the world. I did it. Many, many young people have.

The economy is a big part of it. But it's also the fact that young people are not QUITE as enthused about Maine lighthouses as 60-somethings, it turns out. They are more excited about things like NYC, California, Florida, Boston, seeing the world in the military, going away to university, huge concerts every week, professional sports teams, etc. etc. etc. And once they leave, they often don't come back.
IMHO.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:47 AM

11,024 posts, read 13,362,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Maine is up in the corner of the country (and there ain't much to the northeast of us.......or so goes the thinking).
So for 75 years the young people have felt the need to "get away" and see the world. I did it. Many, many young people have.

The economy is a big part of it. But it's also the fact that young people are not QUITE as enthused about Maine lighthouses as 60-somethings, it turns out. They are more excited about things like NYC, California, Florida, Boston, seeing the world in the military, going away to university, huge concerts every week, professional sports teams, etc. etc. etc. And once they leave, they often don't come back.
IMHO.
Well then I think those young people are stupid. I am 33 and I appreciate the beauty of Maine. I don't care about popular places, big cities, concerts, colleges, sports, etc. All I care about is peace, quiet, easy going lifestyle, nature, and having a few good friends. I don't care much for manmade activities like Disney World or all-inclusive hotel resorts.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:28 AM

29,719 posts, read 47,472,880 times
Quote:
I noticed that Maine has the highest median age of any state in the entire nation, with a median age of about 43 years old. I am 33 and live in Connecticut. I have visited Maine and think is a beautiful place and have even dreamed of living there. But why is the population skewed older than any state in the nation? Is it because young people don't like it? Is it brain drain? Or what? I don't get it. Maine is the cheapest New England state to live in, and is affordable in general. Is the job market just difficult? What are the reasons why the state doesn't have many young people?

Are there young enclaves throughout the state? Maybe Portland or something?

Next week I am planning a 2-3 day trip to Maine. I will be driving up by myself (if weather permits). I have been to the Portland area already, five years ago and loved it, but that was just the tip of the state. I want to explore much more of the coast all the way up through that Down East area or whatever it's called. I want to see Acadia National Park and Baxter National Park. I won't do any hiking though because I'm scared of moose, caribou and bears. Then I want to go allllllll the way up to Caribou and all the way to the end of U.S. 1. The whole area looks stunning just by looking on Google Maps. I think I will fall in love with it, since I'm a nature lover.

But anyway, how come the state lags far behind with young people? It kind of concerns me. I am currently unemployed and looking for an accounting job here in the Hartford, CT area, but may expand my search to the entire state of CT or heck, even all of New England soon (including ME), depending on how things go in the coming weeks. I'm sure ME would be an extreme culture shock though for someone from CT.
There is a general trend I have seen written about in the Bangor Daily News often. Young adults leave Maine seeking high-paying careers and excitement, while retirees migrate to Maine for the lifestyle and low COL.

Both of our sons have left Maine after we moved to Maine for our retirement.

In our personal circle of friends, the young people are primarily college students from away.

The only other place where I see young adults is through MOFGA. Not in huge numbers though, but they do exist. Young adults come to Maine for opportunities to become self-sufficient farmers.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:35 AM

4,851 posts, read 3,513,743 times
Quote:
Well then I think those young people are stupid. I am 33 and I appreciate the beauty of Maine. I don't care about popular places, big cities, concerts, colleges, sports, etc. All I care about is peace, quiet, easy going lifestyle, nature, and having a few good friends. I don't care much for manmade activities like Disney World or all-inclusive hotel resorts.

I agree with you. I "sowed my oats" for a couple years at college in PA. Then I beat feet back to Maine. It seems we are in the minority, though; I bet that 75% of the young people who leave Maine don't ever really come back to settle here.

One way to tell that Maine is inherently a good place is by looking at who moves TO it. As Sub points out, a fair amount of retirees move in, despite the weather. Also, many young-ish successful people who grew up and lived in the more populous states choose to move to Maine once they land a great job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or