Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2017, 10:34 PM

3 posts, read 2,225 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am just under 2 years from retiring after 21 years of Active Army. I'm originally from Aroostook county and my wife is from Indiana. We have 2 boys (right now 5 and 3), my wife is a Nurse Practitioner and I am a Network Engineer. We are considering purchasing a place that needs some work in Searsmont, ME and fixing it up during the next 2 years so it's ready for us when we move.

We actually got married in Rockport/Camden and I've been to Belfast and briefly through Searsmont, we loved the area during our short visits.

Any input on the area as far as atmosphere and schools go? According to Zillow the boys would be going to Lincolnville through 8th and going to Camden for HS. Any truth to that?

I sincerely appreciate any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 01:35 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaff1979 View Post
Hello!

I am just under 2 years from retiring after 21 years of Active Army.
Congratulations. I retired after 20 years in the US Navy.

Quote:
... I'm originally from Aroostook county and my wife is from Indiana. We have 2 boys (right now 5 and 3), my wife is a Nurse Practitioner and I am a Network Engineer.
Cool.

Maine is a great place for raising children.

I should think that both you and your wife should find employment very easy in Maine.

Quote:
... We are considering purchasing a place that needs some work in Searsmont, ME and fixing it up during the next 2 years so it's ready for us when we move.
'fixing' a house while living somewhere else is extremely difficult.

I wish you luck

Old 07-24-2017, 02:23 PM

1,558 posts, read 1,157,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaff1979 View Post
Hello!

I am just under 2 years from retiring after 21 years of Active Army. I'm originally from Aroostook county and my wife is from Indiana. We have 2 boys (right now 5 and 3), my wife is a Nurse Practitioner and I am a Network Engineer. We are considering purchasing a place that needs some work in Searsmont, ME and fixing it up during the next 2 years so it's ready for us when we move.

We actually got married in Rockport/Camden and I've been to Belfast and briefly through Searsmont, we loved the area during our short visits.

Any input on the area as far as atmosphere and schools go? According to Zillow the boys would be going to Lincolnville through 8th and going to Camden for HS. Any truth to that?

I sincerely appreciate any input!

Where will you be living while you fix the place up? (How far away?)

We fixed up a place near Agusta while living in CT, so we were about 5-6 hours away.

I have to say we did not experience any difficulty. (We did all of the work ourselves, so it did not involve hiring workers which would would probably have been more difficult from a distance, so you may want to take that into consideration)

We went up about every other week and spent on average 4 days 3 nights each time. We worked like absolute mules, but had a blast. (The place was livable the whole time we were fixing it up, so we were able to sleep/cook there)

This is the level of repairs it needed-

We removed carpeting, stripped, sanded and stained flooring, stripped and replaced wallpaper, painted walls, sanded and stained trim, repaired gutters and chimneys, replaced porch support columns (that was scary, but my husband is a miracle worker) and fixed roof leak. New toilet, new kitchen sink, some minor plumbing repairs. And of course yard work.

It took us about seven trips total. We did not have little kids at the time, so ymmv.

Sorry I can't help you with your other questions, not familiar with those specifics.
But on this one, I would encourage you to consider distance you'd have to travel, amount of work that needs to be done and how handy you are.

We found working for ourselves like that, to prepare a home, was just very very satisfying.

Best wishes, it sounds like an exciting time for you and your family.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
Where will you be living while you fix the place up? (How far away?)

We fixed up a place near Agusta while living in CT, so we were about 5-6 hours away.

I have to say we did not experience any difficulty. (We did all of the work ourselves, so it did not involve hiring workers which would would probably have been more difficult from a distance, so you may want to take that into consideration)

We went up about every other week and spent on average 4 days 3 nights each time. We worked like absolute mules, but had a blast. (The place was livable the whole time we were fixing it up, so we were able to sleep/cook there)

This is the level of repairs it needed-

We removed carpeting, stripped, sanded and stained flooring, stripped and replaced wallpaper, painted walls, sanded and stained trim, repaired gutters and chimneys, replaced porch support columns (that was scary, but my husband is a miracle worker) and fixed roof leak. New toilet, new kitchen sink, some minor plumbing repairs. And of course yard work.

It took us about seven trips total. We did not have little kids at the time, so ymmv.

Sorry I can't help you with your other questions, not familiar with those specifics.
But on this one, I would encourage you to consider distance you'd have to travel, amount of work that needs to be done and how handy you are.

We found working for ourselves like that, to prepare a home, was just very very satisfying.

Best wishes, it sounds like an exciting time for you and your family.

We're in Japan now... commute is a pain. LOL

Luckily my brother lives nearby so he could coordinate with contractors if need be. Otherwise, we'll be fixing things when I take leave.

Our projects are rather large; complete kitchen and master bath and building a garage. We'll mostly be getting things roughed in then finishing up when we get there.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Congratulations. I retired after 20 years in the US Navy.

Cool.

Maine is a great place for raising children.

I should think that both you and your wife should find employment very easy in Maine.

'fixing' a house while living somewhere else is extremely difficult.

I wish you luck
I deal with the Navy extensively now. I run a communications facility in Japan that supports the vessels in and around the Pacific. Yall have a completely different language than we do!

Old 07-26-2017, 03:34 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Lincolnville has excellent schools. 70.08% of its students score at or above expected academic performance in Language arts. I don't have the exact math/science numbers, but they are very good.

Camden's high school is also excellent. I am on two school boards and attend Maine School Management Association conferences.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:13 PM

538 posts, read 659,133 times
The Lincolnville Central elementary school building is top-notch and its athletic facilities are beautiful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: