U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:22 PM

10,376 posts, read 10,126,479 times
i had a wasp nest in my storage shed,,,, i tried a few things,,tried some bleach in squirt gun,,didnt do any good,,,, but then i tried some gas in a supersoaker and that did it.. they all immediately left/and or chased me around the house once...
just be very careful with any flammable liquid,,,dont think id use it in my house,,think id go with the long distance raid spray.

when i was gettin ants in my garage, i read somewhere to place some crushed onions around,,,and that worked!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 05:32 PM

8,748 posts, read 11,145,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
but then i tried some gas in a supersoaker and that did it..
Come on ! Really??? You're kidding... Right??
I hope your homeowners and life insurance is paid up!. Kind of like using a M-60 machine gun on a mouse isn't it?

Old 03-12-2008, 05:56 PM

12,146 posts, read 21,090,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Kind of like using a M-60 machine gun on a mouse isn't it?

Got one I can borrow? Been a few years sense I shot one and getting the itch again. I would use that excuse to go shoot a M-60 again.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:16 PM

4,538 posts, read 5,426,170 times
Once found a few bees unusually flying around a light in the basement. Sprayed them with bug spray but the next day found more. And I thought I sensed a low humming sound from the wall. Gave me a bad feeling. I went outside and looked at that part of the wall and found a small hole with very busy bee traffic flying in and out. Yikes! I got some flea/bug bombs that I was familiar with since having pets.

Bug bombs - one must be _very_ careful with these and follow the directions explicitly. And one must be aware that the mist that these containers put out is poisonous and very flammable and explosive. I have seen a photo of a huge pile of wood "kindling" that had once been a house. The owner had bug problems and had used bug bombs, and had followed the old _wrong_ idea that "if some is good, more is better." His house had exploded into a large pile of wood shards after the heavy bug bomb mist had met an ignition source such as a pilot light or old telephone bell ringer.

I unplugged the phone line and turned off all the pilot lights, and put all the pets and family in the car - a mini "Noah's Ark" Used an orderly escape plan to set off all the bombs in the basement and 1rst and 2nd floors and exit without encountering the mist.

Then "Noah" went off with everyone for a scenic trip through two state's roads and bridges for a pleasant circle tour. Got back home about four hours later. Again, followed an orderly plan to open doors and windows to ventilate the house while everyone else waited outside. When we finally got back in I found a sight that actually made me sick. In the basement, inside the wall where I had seen the hole outside, there was a pile of dead bees about 3 feet in diameter and 2 feet high. Used a shovel to remove them. Don't know if my discomfort was due to the unexpected holocaust in front of me or the realization of the increasing danger we had been living next to.

I learned that there is a danger if bees establish a hive in a house and start producing honey in the wall. It will attract all kinds of other insect pests. It seems that had not happened, and there was no further problem. I had plugged up the hole after the incident and sold the house 10 years later.

Take care with what you do to get rid of the wasps. Don't poison yourself or blow up your house.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:03 PM

5,054 posts, read 7,799,117 times
KAF! I have no idea how to answer your question - bees can be quite bothersome here, too - but I'm so glad to see you!

Old 03-13-2008, 06:58 PM

2,972 posts, read 3,252,498 times
Funny, last week or the week before I had a big, ugly black wasp flying around inside. I don't recall it being particularly warm outside, though it was pretty warm inside. I stomped on it in a hurry. I didn't see any more of them.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:45 PM

453 posts, read 804,001 times
KAF,
My DH was in pest control for years and has a couple suggestions for you...

First you HAVE to find the nest. If you kill all the living insects with an insecticide ( whether it is by a professional or your do it yourself) They WILL be back. You must find the nest and get rid of the eggs. Insectides will not break the placental barrier and therefor not kill the eggs and they will hatch.
PROBLEM.....more wasps, bees, yellow jackets or whatever.

You could also take a soda bottle, put a cup of Karo syrup mixed with powdered boric acid in the bottle. Put it up in a tree so other animals won't get near it, far away from the house. It is a type of stinging insect trap that MIGHT help lure them away from your house.

He says just keep at it. If you get a pest control place to come do it, it will be expensive and they will not do anything you can't do for yourself if you are persisent. Be careful and keep plenty of Benydrl on hand. He was stung so many times over the years he is also now allergic and that is one of the reasons he stopped doing that.

Good Luck....Keep us posted.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:10 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,554,173 times
Note: Soapy water kills them just as fast and just as dead as any commercially prepared 20' kill zone spray. I've never tried it on yellow jackets but on the several brands of wasps I encounter here it works in areas where you might not want toxic chemicals. Make it a strong soapy solution if you try it ... I use regular dishwashing liquid soap! The supersoaker sounds like an excellent delivery system to me ... in fact I think I'll try it as big red wasp are already swarming here. I think it'll work on those I can't reach with the battery powered mini tennis racket do-dads!

Just a thought.

Last edited by BobTex; 03-16-2008 at 08:20 PM..

Old 03-16-2008, 08:13 PM

7,710 posts, read 7,540,480 times
"Madder Than A Wet Hornet" ,.... I don't want to be close enough if it doesn't work!

Old 03-17-2008, 08:44 AM

2,972 posts, read 3,252,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
"Madder Than A Wet Hornet" ,.... I don't want to be close enough if it doesn't work!
It works, quite well actually. I've used the soapy water spray too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine