Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 11:00 AM

8,358 posts, read 25,155,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indecisiveinaz View Post
We had considered it several years ago when our first child was born, and it's not the culture rich environment we are looking for.

It's just based on what appeals to us region wise, it's one extreme to the next. Had we lived in any other state our whole lives, I don't think this would be an issue.

As far as the other states, Maine just really caught our attention.
Just be sure that you know what kind of 'culture rich environment' you are looking for. Many people are attracted to this state because of the low crime, cheap home/land prices or what-ever other top ten lists that Maine has been falling into over the last couple of years. Then they finally move here and realize that it is not exactly what they expected. Yes, there is culture all over Maine, just make sure that you and the state are on the same page.

Coming from Arizona you will freeze your buns off the first winter. It will either be an exciting experience or a completely miserable one. As Maineh said, it tends to get old after a month or two. I'll tell you this though, kids seem to love the snow and never tire of it, they also seem to tolerate the cold much better then adults. I wouldn't call Maine extreme though. Arizona to Minnesota or North Dakota would be extreme. But, yeah, it's all about perspective.

Like I said in the first paragraph, Maine catches a lot of peoples attention. Then they move here and get bummed out because there isn't a McDonald's on every corner or a strip mall on every-other block or because they find New Englanders 'aloof'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 11:21 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,568,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
People might find this interesting; years ago I had met some 20 year olds from Ireland. They had arrived in Boston with back packs and some cash. They thought they would be able to back pack to California and that including some hitch hiking it would take them only 2 days. I couldn't help but laugh...their whole perception of how big this country was way off. A map, and some enlightenment...I convinced them to rethink their agenda

Maine is a big state........I here that a lot....and why not. You could spend a day driving from the southern part to the northern part. Being surrounded by states like NH, MA, VT, RI help too. But I just looked at AZ...You could fit 3.25 Maine's in the state of AZ. I don’t know, I just found it interesting.

Enjoy your research into Maine. It is certainly unique. I guess unlike AZ which could be similiar to Nevada and Nm ect. Maine really is unique...much more of an authentic water front then NH, MA, Ect. If you decide to come..take some time and research the Lewiston/Auburn area. It has a rich history, affordable living, and decent employment opportunities. Good Luck
flycessna, Maybe you know something more about the Lewiston/Auburn area than I do but I can't help but cringe everytime you recommend that area to someone. It is by far the seediest area in Maine. The Canal street area in Lewiston is still lined with biker bars, tattoo parlors,pawn shops and hookers. This seediness spills out into the neighboring areas as well. Years ago they tried to clean up the down town area of Lewiston around Lisbon Street but the area slowly reverted back to the way it always was...seedy. I won't even roll down the car window riding through that area.Yes the outskirts of town are nicer than they used to be but the area is still depressed even though Route 4 now rivals Saco for car dealers and the Auburn Mall area had expanded greatly in the past several years. I know they have dumped a ton of money in the area trying to attract people and businesses but the area still seems to draw more than it's share of young,poor,uneducated eighteen year olds trying to do the 'right thing' by their new baby toy, living together in a ratty low rent apartment for a year or two until the boyfriend skates and the state starts sending the welfare checks. Outside of Roy's All Steak Hamburgers the place does very little for me!

Old 03-13-2008, 11:22 AM

36 posts, read 71,075 times
I definitely get what you are saying. We actually like to check mapquest and dexonline to find what amenities are close by, and we are aware of the fact that we may have to travel to reach some of them, or just learn to live without certain conveniences at all. Besides, not having a McDonalds on every corner is probably a good thing, health wise. =)

Old 03-13-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Like I said in the first paragraph, Maine catches a lot of peoples attention. Then they move here and get bummed out because there isn't a McDonald's on every corner or a strip mall on every-other block or because they find New Englanders 'aloof'.
We're not really aloof but many of us don't make casual friends easily. We're not the most trusting folks in the world. Wariness is probably a better term. I have many friends and 90% of them I have known since childhood. It's not that we won't be friendly but we're not into block parties and midnight basketball around here. You have to prove to us you're worthy of real friendship before it is extended to you generally. If you're a nice person who is a good neighbor, doesn't keep borrowing tools and never bringing them back, doesn't call the police when you see a hunter walking down the road with a rifle in the fall, doesn't try to take over the town counsel to save us hicks from ourselves, doesn't rush to the supermarket to stock up on water and canned goods when they predict a 6 inch snow storm and sticks around for several years, we'll most likely eventually warm up to you....if you're patient. If you try to rush it you won't be accepetd and you will probably move away after a few years in frustration. Which only goes to prove my point. We've had neighbors gome and go here for the 20 years we've been here. So far I haven't missed any of them.

Old 03-13-2008, 04:37 PM

2,356 posts, read 5,693,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
flycessna, Maybe you know something more about the Lewiston/Auburn area than I do but I can't help but cringe everytime you recommend that area to someone. It is by far the seediest area in Maine. The Canal street area in Lewiston is still lined with biker bars, tattoo parlors,pawn shops and hookers. This seediness spills out into the neighboring areas as well. Years ago they tried to clean up the down town area of Lewiston around Lisbon Street but the area slowly reverted back to the way it always was...seedy. I won't even roll down the car window riding through that area.Yes the outskirts of town are nicer than they used to be but the area is still depressed even though Route 4 now rivals Saco for car dealers and the Auburn Mall area had expanded greatly in the past several years. I know they have dumped a ton of money in the area trying to attract people and businesses but the area still seems to draw more than it's share of young,poor,uneducated eighteen year olds trying to do the 'right thing' by their new baby toy, living together in a ratty low rent apartment for a year or two until the boyfriend skates and the state starts sending the welfare checks. Outside of Roy's All Steak Hamburgers the place does very little for me!
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but there are no bars on canal st. that I am aware of. I am not going to go ever again all of the changes that have taken place here. I will admit that there are some neighborhoods that are run down and still need some help. but they are small and amount to a few streets. The city is heading in the right direction. I would dare to say "it's" future is ALOT brighter than Maine's overall. And there are still a ton of things being done. I know our crime rates have dropped to point where Bangor and Portland had higher rates a few years ago.

I own an apartment that is considered “downtown” these are some of my tenants 83 year old retired lady, 79 year old retired lady, husband and wife 50’s (x2) all four work in town, a nurse (mid 20’s), an architect(mid 20’s), a master electrician (mid 20’s), a school teacher (mid 40’s), and more. They are not 18 year olds with babies.

Just curios though, what is your experience with the area other than locking your doors and being afraid to roll down your window as you drive through? ...that’s funny.

PS. I have an 83 year old tenet that walks all over downtown to the Post Office, corner stores, banks ect. Moderator cut: Let's leave out the personal stuff, please

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 03-14-2008 at 01:35 AM..

Old 03-13-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
many of us don't make casual friends easily.

We're not the most trusting folks in the world.

I have many friends and 90% of them I have known since childhood.

You have to prove to us you're worthy of real friendship before it is extended to you generally.

If you're a nice person who is a good neighbor, doesn't keep borrowing tools and never bringing them back, doesn't call the police when you see a hunter walking down the road with a rifle in the fall, doesn't try to take over the town counsel to save us hicks from ourselves, doesn't rush to the supermarket to stock up on water and canned goods when they predict a 6 inch snow storm and sticks around for several years, we'll most likely eventually warm up to you.

We've had neighbors gome and go here for the 20 years we've been here. So far I haven't missed any of them.
yup...that pretty much sums up my experience with a lot of Mainers. It's a good thing a lot of that is changing though.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
The city is heading in the right direction. I would dare to say "it's" future is ALOT brighter than Maine's overall. [/b]
Well from what I have seen over the last 45 years or so there's no way to go but up for that area!

Old 03-13-2008, 06:25 PM

[quote=flycessna;3130795]yup...that pretty much sums up my experience with a lot of Mainers.

Last edited by Maineah; 03-13-2008 at 07:38 PM..

Old 03-13-2008, 07:42 PM

I think your living in the past....there are no hookers near the bridge...I was a cop there for from 95 to 2002. the few message shops that existed were ousted years ago. most of all buildings were torn down when the rehabing of the mils started. There are no biker bars there near the bridge..there are NO bars. There are no tatoo shops in down town lewiston, Do you have the names of them? I have no idea what your talking about....do you..(my wife license every busines in the city)

this is what is at the bridge...Lincoln street.

laurier T raymond park, veterens park (100 million island point project begins this summer with the construction of a courtyard marriot) Yvonns car wash is on the corner...then there is a parking lot with Mil 5 (Mil 5 is the only mil out of the seven mils that was not completely rehabbed)

Then you have canal street.

Espo's restaurant
brick office building with attorny's offices and susan collins office, channel 13 (new building) DHS (new building)
MIL#4-the first Mil to be redone houses Davinic's rest, some office space, TD bank north, continuing down canal you will pass by parking garage(new), Andover college(new building), oxford networks (new building), Northeast bank head qtrs(new building), VIP head qtrs (new building), lepage bakery's (new expansion), new generic office building with various business (accountants, lawyers, ect)

You still haven't told me your experiences with Lewiston? How do you know about those bars? what are they?

OOOOPS....I just asked my wife about the Holly...aparently that was there in the 70's. building was torn down years ago. Boy...thats really relevent

I didn't just blow in here either. I lived and worked before I started investing into the area. I give criticism from experience, I give compliments from experience. I live here...I lived in other places. I can draw from a liftime of broad base knowlede and interest. And I honest opinions based on facts to help people make good choices for themselves.

Aside from hiding beneath your steering wheel when you drove.thorugh a few times in the last 50 years...what experience to have with lewiston..today. Rants based on poor knowledge, NO facts, and prejudice...don't help anyone. But of course..you have already showed your compassion for people.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 03-14-2008 at 01:37 AM.. Reason: orphaned content

Old 03-13-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I think your living in the past....there are no hookers near the bridge...I was a cop there for from 95 to 2002. the few message shops that existed were ousted years ago. most of all buildings were torn down when the rehabing of the mils started. There are no biker bars there near the bridge..there are NO bars. Do you have the names of them? I have no idea what your talking about....do you..

this is what is at the bridge...Lincoln street.

laurier T raymond park, veterens park (100 million island point project begins this summer with the construction of a courtyard marriot) Yvonns car wash is on the corner...then there is a parking lot with Mil 5 (Mil 5 is the only mil out of the seven mils that was not completely rehabbed)

Then you have canal street.

Espo's restaurant
brick office building with attorny's offices and susan collins office, channel 13 (new building) DHS (new building)
MIL#4-the first Mil to be redone houses Davinic's rest, some office space, TD bank north, continuing down canal you will pass by parking garage(new), Andover college(new building), oxford networks (new building), Northeast bank head qtrs(new building), VIP head qtrs (new building), lepage bakery's (new expansion), new generic office building with various business (accountants, lawyers, ect)

You still haven't told me your experiences with Lewiston? How do you know about those bars? what are they?

OOOOPS....I just asked my wife about the Holly...aparently that was there in the 70's. building was torn down years ago. Boy...thats really relevent
Like I said if you like it good for you ....I don't and I will continue to tell people what I think of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine