U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-06-2017, 09:22 AM
 
312 posts, read 386,389 times
Reputation: 187

Advertisements

I've been doing research here on the site on best towns for me to live in. I'm single, so don't want to be rural. I want a pretty and walkable downtown that has a good selection of restaurants. I want to buy a house from $150k to $175k and want to be within one hours driving distance to Portland. It seems that a Gardiner and Bath would be a good choice. I'd also be interested in Brunswick, but property taxes are too high as are home prices.

I'd love to hear your comments, both positive and negative. Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2017, 04:39 PM
 
1,506 posts, read 2,035,375 times
Reputation: 1475
Seems like you've already figured it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 06:59 PM
 
18,898 posts, read 24,307,702 times
Reputation: 36174
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaz View Post
I've been doing research here on the site on best towns for me to live in. I'm single, so don't want to be rural. I want a pretty and walkable downtown that has a good selection of restaurants. I want to buy a house from $150k to $175k and want to be within one hours driving distance to Portland. It seems that a Gardiner and Bath would be a good choice. I'd also be interested in Brunswick, but property taxes are too high as are home prices.

I'd love to hear your comments, both positive and negative. Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance!

litchfield, west gardiner, sabattus, poland

richmond bowdoin, bowdoinham, topsham , lisbon...durham, pownal, cumberland

if it were me....id look for houses online. that you like ..then go check em out in these towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2017, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Maine
1,244 posts, read 950,548 times
Reputation: 958
you keep saying " Help ! ".... Welcome to Maine... time to not say that- unless it is real.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Maine
17,391 posts, read 21,421,882 times
Reputation: 20292
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaz View Post
It seems that a Gardiner and Bath would be a good choice.
Gardiner is on the Kennebec River. So is Bath, but it is MUCH nearer the ocean and feels more like a portside community.

Gardiner is close to Augusta if you want a bigger town. Bath is closer to Topsham and Brunswick. I think Topsham and Brunswick are much nicer towns than Augusta.

I think the downtown area of Bath is nicer and more walkable and has more to offer. But downtown Gardiner is still nice.

I think Bath is probably busier than Gardiner and Gardiner is a bit quieter.

I suspect Gardiner gets a bit more snow than Bath, on average.

Honestly they're both very nice little towns. Schools are not the greatest, I've heard, but if you're retiring there that probably won't enter into your thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 01:46 PM
 
Location: North of Boston
3,132 posts, read 5,471,354 times
Reputation: 2834
My wife and I have strongly considered building a new, waterfront retirement home in Bath but one of the things that has deterred us is the local property tax rate. I just looked up Gardiner and it's tax rate is even higher than Bath.

We are reconsidering communities like Harpswell, West Bath, Phippsburg and Georgetown, which offer decent access to the amenities in Brunswick and Topsham, but with a more reasonable residential tax burden than Bath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2017, 04:32 PM
 
18,898 posts, read 24,307,702 times
Reputation: 36174
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
My wife and I have strongly considered building a new, waterfront retirement home in Bath but one of the things that has deterred us is the local property tax rate. I just looked up Gardiner and it's tax rate is even higher than Bath.

We are reconsidering communities like Harpswell, West Bath, Phippsburg and Georgetown, which offer decent access to the amenities in Brunswick and Topsham, but with a more reasonable residential tax burden than Bath.
check out west gardiner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 06:27 AM
 
Location: North of Boston
3,132 posts, read 5,471,354 times
Reputation: 2834
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
check out west gardiner

The tax rate is certainly more appealing but I don't think West Gardiner has any saltwater frontage!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2017, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Maine
17,391 posts, read 21,421,882 times
Reputation: 20292
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
The tax rate is certainly more appealing but I don't think West Gardiner has any saltwater frontage!
Nowhere in Gardiner is going to have saltwater frontage. Too far up the Kennebec. If you want saltwater, you're going to have to head farther south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top