Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 07:57 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,559,976 times

Advertisements

Last spring, the Narraguagus River hit its all time high flow. We had a warm rain on top of a high snow melt. This morning the river is within two tenths of a foot of its all time low. It will likely set another all time low record later today or tomorrow. The Mattawamkeag River and the Piscataquis are also near their all time low flows. Next time I cross the Piscataquis I intend to take a picture. You can walk out to the center of the river and there is just a trickle near the north bank. This is not climate change. It is weather.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/me/nwis/uv?site_no=01022500

This would be a really good time for the Maine DOT to take a look at their bridge supports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 10:02 AM

6,613 posts, read 13,456,061 times
The inlets and outlets of the lakes we've been on are dry. Streams are puddles and fields are brown. There aren't any mushrooms, the berries are small, and apples are tiny and dropping. I think bears will hibernate early and some of the wildlife will struggle to put on enough fat. We aren't supposed to get rain over here and we sure could use it.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:32 AM

1,453 posts, read 2,187,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Last spring, the Narraguagus River hit its all time high flow. We had a warm rain on top of a high snow melt. This morning the river is within two tenths of a foot of its all time low. It will likely set another all time low record later today or tomorrow. The Mattawamkeag River and the Piscataquis are also near their all time low flows. Next time I cross the Piscataquis I intend to take a picture. You can walk out to the center of the river and there is just a trickle near the north bank. This is not climate change. It is weather.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/me/nwis/uv?site_no=01022500

This would be a really good time for the Maine DOT to take a look at their bridge supports.
Yup. The weather has nothing to do with climate.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:51 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,856,320 times
We are supposed to get a bit of rain later this week. That will be a help.
The potato crop yield will be down. But the dry weather should mean the quality will be excellent. That's what really matters.
(By now, many farmers have massive portable irrigation systems in place for times like this).

Old 08-30-2017, 08:02 PM

37,237 posts, read 60,954,873 times
2 weeks ago I went with a group and we kayaked from the Howland bridge downstream 15 miles to my home. It was a lot of fun. I was surprised at how many times I had to get out and walk as there was not enough water to support a person in a kayak.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:51 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,093,189 times
yes its dry everywhere. But I'm happy not to have Houston's problems.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:03 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,559,976 times
Both the Kennebec and Narraguagus hit their all time lows today.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:46 AM

When water is scarce flowers do not have a lot of nectar. As a result, the 'nectar-flow' in beehives is low. I am not surrounded by commercial farming instead, it is mixed soft and hard woods. The available blossoms for my bees are whatever is in the forest. It is common in the fall to get a heavy nectar-flow from the golden rod blossom. But this year there is no flow. The golden rods are in full bloom, but they are dry.

At our monthly beekeeper's meeting everyone was complaining about how there is no nectar-flow right now. We may not have enough honey stored for our bees to survive the coming Winter.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:27 AM

1,246 posts, read 1,287,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When water is scarce flowers do not have a lot of nectar. As a result, the 'nectar-flow' in beehives is low. I am not surrounded by commercial farming instead, it is mixed soft and hard woods. The available blossoms for my bees are whatever is in the forest. It is common in the fall to get a heavy nectar-flow from the golden rod blossom. But this year there is no flow. The golden rods are in full bloom, but they are dry.

At our monthly beekeeper's meeting everyone was complaining about how there is no nectar-flow right now. We may not have enough honey stored for our bees to survive the coming Winter.
YOu might try putting out some hummingbird feeders. Take off the caps ( ie the "bee guards) and the bees can get to it.
Use 1 cup cold water to 1/4 cup ( regular) sugar. Stir until dissolved. Not only is this safer nectar for the hummingbirds, but also for the bees.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineborzoi View Post
YOu might try putting out some hummingbird feeders. Take off the caps ( ie the "bee guards) and the bees can get to it.
Use 1 cup cold water to 1/4 cup ( regular) sugar. Stir until dissolved. Not only is this safer nectar for the hummingbirds, but also for the bees.
Yes, I could just feed my bees. I have kept bees for 15 years.

Heavy syrup is usual bee-feed. Buying refined sugar to give the bees it really changes the cost of the honey.

There are times of the year when a beekeeper must feed his bees and I do when I must. But summer is when we normally expect bees to be able to feed themselves without buying refined sugar.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine