U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 07:37 AM

7,151 posts, read 4,160,036 times
mainebrokerman, you gave me a grin this morning ... good observation and generally true in lots of places ... that is exactly what I have been wondering about Maine ... hard to imagine that it wouldn't be, with all the vacation camps and estates. But, with my long ago experiences and life in Maine, I have memory of the State's unique population being very independent, handy, self-sufficient — and not overly quick to open up to newcomers. I recall Mainers as being typically very fine people who are cautious and parsimonious and fairly measured and deliberate. When the summer people are gone from my island in Washington, things slow down except for the best local contractors through the 4-5 months of near-constant, gray, cold rain. You gotta be well connected to the community to work year 'round here. Over on the mainland, you can be busier than a one armed paperhanger all the time. With all the good craftspeople already in Maine it might be a struggle to shoulder in as new? Or, the out of state property owners need more than Maine has to supply in skilled labor? Your State may Feel like it is developing to you, but your increases aren't even 8% of where I live. That's what's attracting me back in large part. But it means I, we, need to be cautious and deliberate in our considerations and plans, as well.

Seems encouraging, so far Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 12:26 PM

34,052 posts, read 11,058,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
mainebrokerman, you gave me a grin this morning ... good observation and generally true in lots of places ... that is exactly what I have been wondering about Maine ... hard to imagine that it wouldn't be, with all the vacation camps and estates. But, with my long ago experiences and life in Maine, I have memory of the State's unique population being very independent, handy, self-sufficient and not overly quick to open up to newcomers. I recall Mainers as being typically very fine people who are cautious and parsimonious and fairly measured and deliberate. When the summer people are gone from my island in Washington, things slow down except for the best local contractors through the 4-5 months of near-constant, gray, cold rain. You gotta be well connected to the community to work year 'round here. Over on the mainland, you can be busier than a one armed paperhanger all the time. With all the good craftspeople already in Maine it might be a struggle to shoulder in as new? Or, the out of state property owners need more than Maine has to supply in skilled labor? Your State may Feel like it is developing to you, but your increases aren't even 8% of where I live. That's what's attracting me back in large part. But it means I, we, need to be cautious and deliberate in our considerations and plans, as well.

Seems encouraging, so far Thanks
Just got to say that I hope it works out for you and your family. It is a pleasure to read your posts and the description of your home in Washington sounds beautiful. It sounds as if you and your sons have the skills and talents to make a go of it.....but you are right it requires caution...I have no knowledge or experience to offer....just my good wishes.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:34 PM

116 posts, read 152,487 times
I am a self employed tile installer, living in Southern Maine. There has been a lot of work available, but is quite slow right now. I charge considerably higher rates than those you have listed, and I am never without work. Usually have to much. There is room here for your sons to get work, especially if they are talented.

I am also an obsessed hunter, my work load tapers off drastically in the fall.

That being said, my wife and I are looking to leave. I won't go into all the reasons why, you seem to have a handle on the tax and cost of living situation here. But, one thing you must look into before coming here is the Health Insurance situation. The most expensive HI state in the nation and getting worse. Monthly premiums will take a large chunk out of your budget, in fact most self-employed contractors I know don't have any HI, because they cannot afford it. Almost $2,000 per month for a family of four is way out of reach for most people.

Below are a couple links, one from the State of Maine regarding HI rates, the other an independent comparison of HI in all 50 states.

Consumer Guide To Individual Health Insurance : Brochures : Bureau of Insurance

http://www.cahi.org/cahi_contents/re...StateIndex.pdf

Old 03-19-2008, 12:38 PM

thank you so much ... at this point in my life I can finally say I have become slow and deliberate and careful. It'll be a year minimum. Likely two. Possibly three. Of course, I'll drive cross-country again in October for my fall camping cruise with faithful, shedding dog Catch the colors and then down to Philadelphia to visit my 95 year old mother (who I can't hardly keep up with) and my sisters (who never left the east). Then back out west here with the midwestern and Wyoming snow nipping at my bumper all the way. And finally, then, another dismal 5 months of steel gray, constantly weeping skies. People here can't believe I'd consider Maine with all the snow and cold. They don't grasp that cold and snow with partial sunshine is drier and more cheerful than this bleak, sopping wet NW winter. To say nothing of the congestion and cost of living here as it has evolved in the past 20 or so years.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxed in Maine View Post
I am a self employed tile installer, living in Southern Maine. There has been a lot of work available, but is quite slow right now. I charge considerably higher rates than those you have listed, and I am never without work. Usually have to much. There is room here for your sons to get work, especially if they are talented.

I am also an obsessed hunter, my work load tapers off drastically in the fall.

That being said, my wife and I are looking to leave. I won't go into all the reasons why, you seem to have a handle on the tax and cost of living situation here. But, one thing you must look into before coming here is the Health Insurance situation. The most expensive HI state in the nation and getting worse. Monthly premiums will take a large chunk out of your budget, in fact most self-employed contractors I know don't have any HI, because they cannot afford it. Almost $2,000 per month for a family of four is way out of reach for most people.

Below are a couple links, one from the State of Maine regarding HI rates, the other an independent comparison of HI in all 50 states.

Consumer Guide To Individual Health Insurance : Brochures : Bureau of Insurance

http://www.cahi.org/cahi_contents/re...StateIndex.pdf
Great to hear from you and about your tile-setting business ... and I had no idea about the health insurance issue. Once again, I personally dodge that bullet as I have 100% VA health care as a result of military service long ago (was that the Civil War? ... so far back I can't recall which ... no, somewhere in SE Asia, I think)

Two of my sons have no health coverage now ... one through his wife's employer (Starbucks! ... that would be the smart son who married wisely) Will be interesting to see how/if there are any changes optionally in the coming 4 - 8 years with any of the Presidential candidates all of whom are being pressured to address this American challenge.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:42 AM

2,727 posts, read 3,181,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
But I was attracted out here from my east coast youth, including Maine, for the NorthWest's sense of "edge of wilderness", and for the decidedly "outdoorsy" community.
I've lived on the west coast and here in Maine. One the biggest differences I see:

- West Coast - Young, Outdoorsy (Jogging, Hiking, Biking) eat salads, baked fish.

- East Coast - Old, Outdoorsy (snowmobile, four wheeler, motorcycle, boat) donuts, fatty foods, fried fish

While both enjoy the outdoors, they enjoy it in a different way. West coast people enjoy more exercising, active body activities vs east coasters who prefer sitting in a machine that does the work for them. Not saying one is better, just different.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
I've lived on the west coast and here in Maine. One the biggest differences I see:

- West Coast - Young, Outdoorsy (Jogging, Hiking, Biking) eat salads, baked fish.

- East Coast - Old, Outdoorsy (snowmobile, four wheeler, motorcycle, boat) donuts, fatty foods, fried fish

While both enjoy the outdoors, they enjoy it in a different way. West coast people enjoy more exercising, active body activities vs east coasters who prefer sitting in a machine that does the work for them. Not saying one is better, just different.
Good characterization ... while I won't be adding any motor to my canoe just yet, and prefer my boots to 4-wheelin', I am getting old and I think your observation is pretty valid, in general. But, you may also be aware that the west coast has become very aggressive and competitive and money-oriented in lifestyle over the years. It's no longer the bastion of loggers and mountaineers ... it's a land of $5 Latte' drinkers with their $65,000 Hummers and Navigators in the parking lot (in case we get a 1/2 inch of snow and they have to "break trail" to get the kids to soccer) ... oh, the challenge and call of the wilderness!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine