Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 08:57 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,126,531 times

Advertisements

We were scheduled to have the generator put in the end of next week, ironically. We were out for about 49 hours, starting Monday Morning at 8:00 AM.

On Sunday, I filled up two big plastic bins with water for toilets. I put water in various containers so we would have drinking and tea and cooking water. We found that the water will leak out of the bathtub so we would need to get a stopper for it.

I did not crack the septic tank cover which I was going to do this morning. So.... if the outage kept up, we didn’t have the sewage didn’t back up into the house. Our sewage water has to be pumped up hill to the sand mound drainage field.

We have three of those LED lanterns and multiple flashlights. Our cook stove is propane, and we have a wood stove for all our heat, so we cooked dinner and were warm. People with electric heat or pellet stoves or heat pumps were not as fortunate.

What I missed most was listening to music, so I guess we’ll get out portable FM radio CD player out of the garage, so we have it when we’re not running the genny.

We did get to play board games and eat in front of the fire together, something we don’t often do anymore with all the electronic entertainment. Aliens did not land and take away our freedoms.

It was just a normal Maine weather event, though a bit longer than most. Its actually lots of fun to prepare for it. The longest we lost power before was about 36 hours, and only one night. But looking at the current Emera outage map, we are lucky to get it back this early. Lots of people on MDI and elsewhere north to Millinocket are still without power and all of them don’t expect to be back until Saturday.

Last edited by slyfox2; 11-01-2017 at 09:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 09:15 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,690,742 times
Anyone know the extent of power outages for Bar Harbor/business area? I was there last year this time and although not as crazy as summer with tourists, it was still surprisingly busy. I enjoyed my ice cream while freezing my butt off one afternoon..

Old 11-01-2017, 09:22 AM

221 posts, read 242,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
We were scheduled to have the generator put in the end of next week, ironically. We were out for about 49 hours, starting Monday Morning at 8:00 AM.

On Sunday, I filled up two big plastic bins with water for toilets. I put water in various containers so we would have drinking and tea and cooking water. We found that the water will leak out of the bathtub so we would need to get a stopper for it.

I did not crack the septic tank cover which I was going to do this morning. So.... if the outage kept up, we didn’t have the sewage didn’t back up into the house. Our sewage water has to be pumped up hill to the sand mound drainage field.

We have three of those LED lanterns and multiple flashlights. Our cook stove is propane, and we have a wood stove for all our heat, so we cooked dinner and were warm. People with electric heat or pellet stoves or heat pumps were not as fortunate.

What I missed most was listening to music, so I guess we’ll get out portable FM radio CD player out of the garage, so we have it when we’re not running the genny.

We did get to play board games and eat in front of the fire together, something we don’t often do anymore with all the electronic entertainment. Aliens did not land and take away our freedoms.

It was just a normal Maine weather event, though a bit longer than most. Its actually lots of fun to prepare for it. The longest we lost power before was about 36 hours, and only one night. But looking at the current Emera outage map, we are lucky to get it back this early. Lots of people on MDI and elsewhere north to Millinocket are still without power and all of them don’t expect to be back until Saturday.
unfortunately our newly built house has propane/electric hybrid everything so essentially nothing functions without power. our oven, pellet stove, well pump, etc... Even though i will soon have a generator im looking at ways to de-modernize some of our things.... like a mechanical propane oven, swap out the pellet stove for a wood stove (not going to be easy though), ill have to look into a better means of pumping water up from out well to supply the house too...

Ive got a large RO unit though and its full of 14 gallons worth of drinking water still pressurized and on tap.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:23 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,126,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Anyone know the extent of power outages for Bar Harbor/business area? I was there last year this time and although not as crazy as summer with tourists, it was still surprisingly busy. I enjoyed my ice cream while freezing my butt off one afternoon..
Bar Harbor never lost power at all. We went in for batteries, water, and groceries (yesterday when we were still out of power) that we forget to get before the storm. Since there is a major hospital there, they have top priority. However there are some side streets, just not the business area that lost power due to trees downing.

Southwest Harbor just got power last night at about 10:00 as did Bass Harbor. Their business section got their power back at around 9:30 yesterday morning.

Last edited by slyfox2; 11-01-2017 at 09:35 AM..

Old 11-01-2017, 10:14 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,690,742 times
Quote:
Bar Harbor never lost power at all. We went in for batteries, water, and groceries (yesterday when we were still out of power) that we forget to get before the storm. Since there is a major hospital there, they have top priority. However there are some side streets, just not the business area that lost power due to trees downing.

Southwest Harbor just got power last night at about 10:00 as did Bass Harbor. Their business section got their power back at around 9:30 yesterday morning.
Interesting, thank you..

Old 11-01-2017, 10:57 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
An EMP would stop civilization and ....
It is interesting that people want to focus on an EMP while ignoring the device that would have caused the EMP.

An EMP in Maine strong enough to hurt electronics in Maine would come from a nuclear detonation in Maine [or else really close to the borders of Maine].

It is kind of like being run over by a truck, and worrying about the whether you inhaled any of the diesel fumes as the truck went by.

If there were a nuclear detonation in Maine, we would have a lot of more pressing issues to deal with.

Hannaford in Old Town yesterday was tossing out a lot of their produce and red meat [they had filled two 20-yard roll-off containers heaping with red meat]. We went by to collect pig food and we ended up loaded up to the roof of our van with produce. They only have enough generator capacity to power their freezer and cash cage, but not enough for the rest of their store. We made a trip up to the Bible Seminary in Charleston and dropped off most of it today. The roads from here to Corinth were all cleared.

Old 11-01-2017, 11:05 AM

973 posts, read 2,380,201 times
A deep well hand pump was invented by a local plumber in Houlton. I think he sold the rights to an outfit out of state. They are not cheap, but if getting water from a well is your objective when no power is available, these work. A typical shallow well pump uses a vacuum that allows air pressure to push the water up a pipe. The limit is around 33 feet if the pump creates a perfect vacuum. The deep well pump lifts the water and can lift water up to 300 ft. Not cheap, but will provide water from a deep well using muscle power.

https://www.bisonpumps.com/

Old 11-01-2017, 11:36 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,671,339 times
There is also something called a "water thief" that you can make for about $5. It will work unless your water level is below your anti torque collar on your well pipe.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:09 PM

221 posts, read 242,984 times
http://www.brumbypumps.com/uploaded/Brumby_brochure.pdf

these brumby pumps are pretty slick too

Old 11-01-2017, 12:19 PM

642 posts, read 1,255,286 times
We were out from 8 a.m. Monday to 8 p.m. Tuesday. We have a portable generator so no problem for us. We were surprised how fast the recovery time was. During the ice storm of '98 my power was out for nine days. No generator back then but wood heat kept me from freezing. As you might imagine the bloom is off the rose after about 36 hours.

What really frosts me about Emera's website is their requirement of your account number to report an outage online. So there you sit in the dark with your cell phone and they want you to type in your 16 digit account number. Really? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine