Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 03:40 PM

47 posts, read 53,809 times

Advertisements

Lost power here in Manchester at 5 AM on Monday morning. Restored Tuesday at 3 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 04:11 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
No trick or treaters so far. Sure is dark out there.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:43 PM

321 posts, read 486,560 times
Looks like they got to my town, Bradley, today, but my road hasn’t been electrified. Trick-or-treaters were our nonetheless. Oh well, I guess it is another night in the dark for me. It will be a nuisance cleaning up with a bucket of cold water in the morning, but oh well. There are people who are much worse off. If it goes for another couple of days, I will feel bad for my co-workers who have to smell me.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:41 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times
Some people are getting frustrated and not just with the power outages, Here at DOT we have many roads blocked off because of downed tree's, we have the saws and heavy equipment needed to remove the tree's but until CMP removes the wires from them, we can't touch them.

RR

Old 11-01-2017, 05:08 AM

221 posts, read 243,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodels View Post
Looks like they got to my town, Bradley, today, but my road hasn’t been electrified. Trick-or-treaters were our nonetheless. Oh well, I guess it is another night in the dark for me. It will be a nuisance cleaning up with a bucket of cold water in the morning, but oh well. There are people who are much worse off. If it goes for another couple of days, I will feel bad for my co-workers who have to smell me.
same boat here. without power we have no water.... ive been forced to doing my business out in the backyard in a hole to conserve water for my wife to use the toilets. no showers though... luckily i was able to come into work early this morning and take a shower.

CMP site says Saturday the 4th for restoration...

Old 11-01-2017, 07:27 AM

"Maybe Friday" up here. People are lowering buckets at the bridges and bringing water home so Mother can flush the toilet. Old folks can't do that. Check on your elderly neighbors. We found one man on the floor. He had a stroke and his wife has Alzheimer's.

Moderator cut: We can't be advocating blowing up the infrastructure & breaking the law, let alone putting people at severe risk of electrocution. Folks with propane generators are running out of propane and the propane plant in Bangor has no power. It seems that a large propane plant that fills propane delivery trucks wold have an alternative power source. I loaned a full 100 pound propane tank to a neighbor who really needs power for medical reasons. He will return the tank full. That tank will run his generator for 4 days.

This is not rocket science. Has everybody forgotten the Ice Storm of 98? You new folks, talk to your neighbors. A lot of people are sharing their generators. They run power to their neighbor's freezer and refrigerator for six hours and take the generator back to their own house. Leave the doors shut on the appliances until the generator comes back.

Everybody should have a hard wired 2500 watt inverter in their vehicle. you can run stuff off your vehicle. Forget the clothes dryer. Put up a clothesline like your grandma had. Put the clothesline in the house. The increased humidity will make your plants happy. Wash your socks and skivvies by hand.

Good grief people; What would you do after an EMP?

Last edited by mensaguy; 11-01-2017 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: Leave your 12 guage at home.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:31 AM

221 posts, read 243,049 times
we just moved into our house. unfortunately we dont know anyone up here. ive thought about the inverter for the truck but I didnt think we would have an issue before our generator got installed... not too thrilled its taking a month to get a 1" fuel line ran from our propane tank to our generator

Old 11-01-2017, 08:32 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,127,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
What would you do after an EMP?
An EMP would stop civilization and many many people would die because of starvation. Unless you are living totally off the grid and not coming to town for 6 months.... There would be roving gangs, and martial law would be declared to stop the looting and wild behavior. It would be like a category 5 hurricane tripled.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:50 AM

Read "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen. It is very realistic and very possible. I know people who have older airplanes who intend to go after their relatives when the time comes. Newer airplanes will be useless, but an old Cessna 180 would be the answer. Forget landing on an interstate. You would be swarmed. You would have to meet your passenger at a field. Ham radios will also be valuable. Some people store their spare radios in Faraday cages.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:55 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Let's quit with the tin foil hat scenarios and get this thread back to the subject at hand: the current power outages in Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine