Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 08:16 AM

14 posts, read 15,397 times

Advertisements

My daughter is 16 and loves horses. She wants her life to revolve around them in some way throughout her life. We live in central Maine which isn't a bad place to live other than 8 months of winter (okay...3 months...but you wouldn't be far off saying 8 either! haha)

However, she's indicated a desire to be in a warmer clime so as to be able to ride more months of the year. Florida is out, or at least low on the list because the number of months that are too HOT to do much riding are equal to Maine's un ridable winter months. (when I say un ridable, I mean "easy or pleasant" to ride)

We want to help her start "dream building" by maybe taking a couple of short trips to locales to get a feel for them. We've thought that the Carolinas might be a good spot. She's LIKE to be near the coast but isn't a beach person, so half hour's drive or even a little more is not out of the question.

Like to keep it "east coast" if possible (not much further west than Florida, let's say. In other words, let's eliminate California, Arizona, and especially Oklahoma. (been there...yeah...)

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 09:19 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
I'm a bit of a horse enthusiast myself. Racing that is. Does she wish to eventually have a career in the horse business? North Carolina may be as far south as I would go. I know Maryland and New Jersey are good choices as well but you'd still have some snowy days but maybe not so many.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:37 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,429,804 times
Kentucky is the natural choice.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:30 AM

158 posts, read 144,356 times
I would recommend North Carolina. Great weather most of the year and decent cost of living

Old 02-27-2018, 01:45 PM

30 posts, read 42,422 times
North Carolina is hot....not much difference than Georgia....the south has hot weather 7 months out of the year....also its very conservative.....the Richmond area is beautiful and has plenty of horse farms.

Old 02-27-2018, 02:22 PM

14 posts, read 15,397 times
Ah yes, Kentucky! That is a possibility. We've never visited. Her and I both have "The Carolinas" stuck in our minds. I think it's mostly the proximity, plus like one commenter said, North Carolina has just the right mix...a bit of a winter but nothing horrible. I have heard that North C is a little different climate-wise than South Carolina (i.e. Summers hot but not quite as hot, more of a colder snap or two in the Winter, etc.)

I get that there will be hot months anywhere south of us, really. Virginia does come up in our searches as well. Thanks for the hints so far. (PS: We LOVE conservative. Sometimes it's a bit overbearing but the whole Southern old fashioned conservatism really grows on us, though I know it's not for everyone)

Old 02-27-2018, 03:43 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
I's consider Tennessee as well. I've been through there, nice country, nice people, lots of horses.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:58 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwired99 View Post
Ah yes, Kentucky! That is a possibility. We've never visited. Her and I both have "The Carolinas" stuck in our minds. I think it's mostly the proximity, plus like one commenter said, North Carolina has just the right mix...a bit of a winter but nothing horrible. I have heard that North C is a little different climate-wise than South Carolina (i.e. Summers hot but not quite as hot, more of a colder snap or two in the Winter, etc.)

I get that there will be hot months anywhere south of us, really. Virginia does come up in our searches as well. Thanks for the hints so far. (PS: We LOVE conservative. Sometimes it's a bit overbearing but the whole Southern old fashioned conservatism really grows on us, though I know it's not for everyone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I's consider Tennessee as well. I've been through there, nice country, nice people, lots of horses.
There you have it kids, the colonial trail from Virginia, the Carolinas, Tennessee and last but certainly not least, the Bluegrass State of Kentucky!

I'd say that sums it up quite nicely.

Good luck and best wishes OP!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky

Old 02-28-2018, 03:27 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
You beat me to it. /\this/\

RR

Old 02-28-2018, 09:13 AM

22,920 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
Exactly what I thought.

Maine is great country, to be sure. But it gets awfully cold here in the winter. Is it possible to raise horses here? You bet? Is it ideal? I wouldn't say so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: