U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 05:57 PM

286 posts, read 274,714 times

Advertisements

Things continue to go along fairly smoothly here at Lake Wobegone (lol), well, at least pretty much status quo. That means theres always something screwed up that requires copious amounts of attention, phone calls, and emails. Today was no different.

We had all of our worldly belongings (what's left of them, anyway) put into two PODs. These were 16' x 8' x 8' and they easily swallowed our "stuff". They were picked up four months ago and sent to a holding area awaiting my orders to deliver when we found a house. The POD people were nice and professional enough and they ticked off the boxes they needed to complete my order. When they asked where they end up I had to pick a town because we didn't have a new home yet but we knew where we would be looking: Wiscasset. We were going to concentrate in Knox County and figured we'd start there. The POD person accepted that for a temporary answer and on we went.

So, yesterday I pick up the phone and tell the agent that I'm ready with an address and recite it off to him. That's when things began to unravel. The POD agent kindly told me that "they don't service Searsmont". She might as well have been reporting the nice weather. I, on the other hand, began to tremble with a mixture of rage and caffeine. "What do you mean you don't service Searsmont?" I stammered. "Why didn't you tell me that when I made the booking? I raged. The agent calmly told me that I had selected Wiscasset, not Searsmont as my destination. I explained to her in clear, concise English that was because we didn't know where we'd land and just selected Wiscasset to get things moving. Never, in all of my conversations, did anyone at PODS indicate to me that they had a limited service area or I would have a) clarified where the line was drawn and b) would never have begun the process of using PODS had we known of this limitation. She "harrumphed" and said that was it. The two PODS would be prepped for a trip to Portland that I would pay for and from there it was anyone's guess as to what we would do with our belongings. I had to think fast.

I called a local mover in Belfast and began to unravel my story when he stopped me and said I was certianly not the first customer of PODS to discover this service limitation. Fifteen minutes later I had an email with all the information I needed to hire his company to go to Portland, unload my two pods into his trucks and head back to deliver them to my new home, all in one day. The cost would be about 20% higher than I had been quoted by PODS but their quote was now worthless so I had to bite the proverbial bullet and pay up.

So on the week of Aug 3rd sometime we'll have whats left of our "stuff" delivered to our new digs and we can begin the enjoyable task of figuring out where everything from a 3 story massive Victorian will fit into a 1500 square ' ranch! Fun is!!

Post Script: Yep, I'm going to ***** big time to the BBB about PODS and see if I can get the overage I had to pay refunded to me. They announce that they tape every phone call coming in. GOOD! I was never warned about service area limits and that is the crutch I have to lean on. I'll report the results.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 08:34 AM

734 posts, read 301,428 times
Well that is a kick in the head after all this. But at least you recovered quickly!

Old 07-23-2020, 03:26 PM

Yeah......I'll just buy cheaper champagne for our initial toast after we finally get in there! LOL I just hate for our belongings to be unpacked and repacked. better chance of damage occuring. But the mover assures me that everything will go smoothly.

Old 07-30-2020, 05:45 PM

So,we're on the road this morning about 15 miles the Piscataqua. I'm anticipating the feeling of arriving for the last time as a tourist and leaving as a new resident land owner. The cell phone rings and it's our mortgage broker. She informs me that there was a calculation error in our "cash at closing" amount. We are short a few thousand dollars due to an oversight. We knew is was missing when they first told us of the amount but we learned to follow their instructions to the letter. So, the previous day, I spend half an hour at my very busy bank getting the check we were asked to bring.

Well, I explain to her that we were currently traveling 65 mph towing a trailer and having a canoe on my roof. What could we do? Well, there might be a chance to use a personal check for the difference. She would call me back to let me know. In the meantime I asked my wife to research where our nearest bank might be. Lo and BEHOLD........there was one right there in Kittery!! Can you imagine that? Our bank just merged with a much larger bank and they reached all the way from Maine to Connectiuct! I followed the Garmin over the moving bridge and drove into the big driveway so I could pull through with my trailer. I walked in and in 15 minutes, I had a second check for the correct amount and alerted the broker we were set.

There have been numerous "signs" that the purchase of this home was a correct action for us to pursue. Today was the last sign as we fixed a problem in minutes that could have easily torpeadoed our closing on Friday. Yep, providence had a hand in helping us complete our journey.

We got to the house for the walkthrough, gave it our blessing and are now sitting in a "economy" hotel in Lewiston because they take pups, a few blocks from the lawyers office where our meeting is scheduled for 1pm. Our dog is with us loving the long car ride she got today. We'll report after the closing (hoping and assuming no more surprises!!)

Old 07-30-2020, 06:48 PM

32,079 posts, read 52,237,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post
So,we're on the road this morning about 15 miles the Piscataqua. I'm anticipating the feeling of arriving for the last time as a tourist and leaving as a new resident land owner. The cell phone rings and it's our mortgage broker. She informs me that there was a calculation error in our "cash at closing" amount. We are short a few thousand dollars due to an oversight. We knew is was missing when they first told us of the amount but we learned to follow their instructions to the letter. So, the previous day, I spend half an hour at my very busy bank getting the check we were asked to bring.

Well, I explain to her that we were currently traveling 65 mph towing a trailer and having a canoe on my roof. What could we do? Well, there might be a chance to use a personal check for the difference. She would call me back to let me know. In the meantime I asked my wife to research where our nearest bank might be. Lo and BEHOLD........there was one right there in Kittery!! Can you imagine that? Our bank just merged with a much larger bank and they reached all the way from Maine to Connectiuct! I followed the Garmin over the moving bridge and drove into the big driveway so I could pull through with my trailer. I walked in and in 15 minutes, I had a second check for the correct amount and alerted the broker we were set.

There have been numerous "signs" that the purchase of this home was a correct action for us to pursue. Today was the last sign as we fixed a problem in minutes that could have easily torpeadoed our closing on Friday. Yep, providence had a hand in helping us complete our journey.

We got to the house for the walkthrough, gave it our blessing and are now sitting in a "economy" hotel in Lewiston because they take pups, a few blocks from the lawyers office where our meeting is scheduled for 1pm. Our dog is with us loving the long car ride she got today. We'll report after the closing (hoping and assuming no more surprises!!)
One time long ago, our realtor kept changing the amount that we needed to bring to the closing. After the 8th or 9nth change, I lost my cool. The entire time, they were insisting that it all had to be done with certified cashier checks. So I brought cash. At the closing, they pitched a fit when I started counting the cash on the table. But they took it.

I was so hot.

Old 07-30-2020, 07:33 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,436 times
It's a sweet house, Cuffler. And looks so neat and well-kept! I bet you two can hardly wait to get in there and put your personal touches inside and outside. What is that large white cube next to the potted trees on the side? Is it hiding some kind of equipment?

Old 07-31-2020, 04:27 AM

3,293 posts, read 6,121,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
It's a sweet house, Cuffler. And looks so neat and well-kept! I bet you two can hardly wait to get in there and put your personal touches inside and outside. What is that large white cube next to the potted trees on the side? Is it hiding some kind of equipment?
The white cube is probably fencing, hiding a propane tank.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:07 AM

6,401 posts, read 7,385,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
The white cube is probably fencing, hiding a propane tank.

Or a 275 gallon oil tank.

Old 07-31-2020, 07:42 AM

100 gallon (170lbs) of propane hidden behind that plastic fence. Very neatly done, I must say. There's also a really nice and new garden shed in the back yard complete with mower, small snow blower and all her garden tools.

Too bad. There are 8 trees she planted in the front yard. A few are expensive including a cut-leaf maple and a weeping cherry. They are way too close to the house and I'm going to have them surgically removed in the fall with a ball so they can be replanted by a nursery someplace. It wouldn't be fair to just chop them down to the ground.

Leaving for the lawyer's soon. First a light lunch.

Old 08-04-2020, 06:37 AM

It's been quiet on my end because we're still waiting for the "net" to be activated by RedZone up at the house. Best I could do for now. We will be beta testers for Starlink, I hope! We spent a few days here in CT to prep for the house showings and are now headed back in a few hours ctrying to beat the big rain storm just to our South. We'll be on the edge of it all the way up but no big deal. I'm not towing anything so it's just additional supplies from here until our pods are delivered tomorrow (Woohoo!)

We have now had three nights at our new home and it's cool how we begin to acclimate to the sounds of a new house as you settle in. The creaks and bumps are different and catch you off guard. The motion sensing spots come on for seemingly no reason at all but we know there are plenty of residents living around here, mostly deer, I'd think. The previous owner tells us we will see Moose in our driveway for sure. That will be something to show the grandkids!

We've begun to familarize ourselves with the surrounding area, too. What fun! My wife and I are still living out of suitcases but we decided to just take a short ride to Lincolnville Beach to see if it was truly only a hop skip and jump away. It was! And the drive we took wended its way through some of the most beautiful countryside. Truly a hidden part of Maine that few people see other than residents. Gorgeous hills and valleys and verdent green everywhere. . Then, all of a sudden, there's the ocean. IT was a Saturday; a hot Saturday at that at around 1pm. You'd think that it would be overloaded with bathers but just the opposite. It was nicely crowded with plenty of room between bathers. We drove right to a parking spot and walked to the shore. In connecticut we'd have to wait in a line of traffic waiting for someone to leave before we could have even seen the sand. We were both thrilled and can't wait to repeat this little trip for a nice picnic lunch and to explore some of the shops. To say we are just thrilled with our choice of location is an understatement. We're far enough off the Rt 3 beaten path so we don't hear any traffic with a few exceptions. We're surrounded by trees with lots of undegrowth and our driveway is curved so you can't see the house from our road.

So, we'll be leaving in a couple of hours after loading up some supplies (food) and half of our clothes. We won't be able to really settle in until the pods are empty but we're in no rush. Every day here seems to be an adventure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or