Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2019, 05:03 PM

5,290 posts, read 5,194,272 times

Advertisements

Nov 29, 2019
Relisted (Back On Market)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 05:16 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,294,339 times
Checking in after quite a while, not sure how long...

I have not read this whole thread yet - but i wish you good luck.

If there is ANYONE out there who had a joyful, calm, cheery experience selling one house while also buying another hundreds of miles away - i would love to hear it (haha). It was not me!

WTS, i made my move from NJ to Maine in March, 2018. (I saw a post about septic, yes i had to have septic work done at the house i was selling before closing! Horrible... Among other things...)

I'm very glad to be here in Maine, but truthfully at 60-ish years of age - it took a lot out of us, especially the moving ourselves part of it. I will read the whole thread when i have time. It's worth it now, but it was a mess...

Old 12-09-2019, 05:38 PM

3,701 posts, read 2,630,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post

If there is ANYONE out there who had a joyful, calm, cheery experience selling one house while also buying another hundreds of miles away - i would love to hear it (haha). It was not me!

WTS, i made my move from NJ to Maine in March, 2018. (I saw a post about septic, yes i had to have septic work done at the house i was selling before closing! Horrible... Among other things...)

I'm very glad to be here in Maine, but truthfully at 60-ish years of age - it took a lot out of us, especially the moving ourselves part of it. I will read the whole thread when i have time. It's worth it now, but it was a mess...
Hi Jellybean! Yeah we read your saga with tears of sadness, joy, hopefulness, etc., etc. Lol. It was a journey for sure.

Sorry to hear this poor guy's deal in CT fell through. But it seems like his new agent is much much better.

Old 12-09-2019, 05:42 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,294,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Hi Jellybean! Yeah we read your saga with tears of sadness, joy, hopefulness, etc., etc. Lol. It was a journey for sure.

Sorry to hear this poor guy's deal in CT fell through. But it seems like his new agent is much much better.
Hello! Yes, a lot of it was documented in the Real Estate area of the Forum lol.

I'm so sorry his deal fell thru. I just remember how much i spent in order to get my house "fixed" after an offer was put in, and then up here i as the buyer had to pay for the tests that i paid for as the seller in NJ. It seemed to never end. Hope all is well with you.

I will be checking in to see if he will be moving soon. Maine is wonderful.

Old 12-10-2019, 05:27 AM

Hi Jellybean, I too read your saga and had wondered how you were doing, since we hadnt heard from you in a while. I know you were so excited to get to Maine; now that you are there, is it everything you had hoped? I know the winters have to be rougher than they were in NJ. Were you able to adapt?

Old 12-11-2019, 08:49 AM

122 posts, read 105,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post

Just read through your journey, Jelly Bean, as well as have been following Cufflers here. Man, what a doozy. I'm definitely also not looking forward to the prospect of selling our house here in Baltimore in a couple years when we try to make our sojourn north to Maine. We also have an older house, that is nowhere near as good looking as Cufflers'. Honestly, there's probably alot of work we'll have to put into it in order to reach any considerable value. The only saving grace is that when we bought it, we bought it based on our incomes then. We've now over doubled our incomes in our careers (and still growing), so it won't be out of the question to rent it or list it while we move. Obviously, paying 2 mortgages is not ideal, but it might be doable.

Are you overall happy with your decision, Jelly Bean? And also - what town did you end up moving to? We're still trying to pick our spot ourselves (we can work remotely, but do need high speed internet to support VoIP and such). I've been interested in Millinocket for a while, visited once. I love the history of the place, and it's mill town background. But I know there's people trying to reinvent and develop the area, and I would like to be apart of that. But I also have a soft-spot for Bangor. I haven't made it out further east than Bar Harbor, but I imagine I'd also like the small-town feel of places like Lubec.

Edit: Jelly Bean, as I was checking back in your posts, I saw you first indicated a desire to move to Maine back in like 2011 I believe. What took you 7-ish years to start the process in earnest? (Just curious. It's already been 1 1/2 year delay for me!)

Last edited by BaltimoreBruiser; 12-11-2019 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: Adding additional question

Old 12-11-2019, 10:40 AM

3,701 posts, read 2,630,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreBruiser View Post
Just read through your journey, Jelly Bean, as well as have been following Cufflers here. Man, what a doozy. I'm definitely also not looking forward to the prospect of selling our house here in Baltimore in a couple years when we try to make our sojourn north to Maine. We also have an older house, that is nowhere near as good looking as Cufflers'. Honestly, there's probably alot of work we'll have to put into it in order to reach any considerable value. The only saving grace is that when we bought it, we bought it based on our incomes then. We've now over doubled our incomes in our careers (and still growing), so it won't be out of the question to rent it or list it while we move. Obviously, paying 2 mortgages is not ideal, but it might be doable.

Are you overall happy with your decision, Jelly Bean? And also - what town did you end up moving to? We're still trying to pick our spot ourselves (we can work remotely, but do need high speed internet to support VoIP and such). I've been interested in Millinocket for a while, visited once. I love the history of the place, and it's mill town background. But I know there's people trying to reinvent and develop the area, and I would like to be apart of that. But I also have a soft-spot for Bangor. I haven't made it out further east than Bar Harbor, but I imagine I'd also like the small-town feel of places like Lubec.

Edit: Jelly Bean, as I was checking back in your posts, I saw you first indicated a desire to move to Maine back in like 2011 I believe. What took you 7-ish years to start the process in earnest? (Just curious. It's already been 1 1/2 year delay for me!)
If I can take the liberty here, I think JB ended up in East Machias or Machiasport, I can't recall, and is happy.

Just stayed in Lubec a few weeks this year and really enjoyed it. It's more of my speed. And close to Campobello. Eastport seems to be on the upswing but in my opinion it's just so "out there". Look at a map and you'll see what I mean. Kind of isolated. Millinocket seems like it's a bit far from coming back. I didn't care for it too much.

Old 12-21-2019, 09:18 PM

334 posts, read 424,895 times
Whew! After an extensive inspection there were only 6 "issues" the buyers want addressed, three of which are one-hour projects for me. There is nothing that will torpedo the sale, thank God. So, it would appear that we should be able to resolve any issues they have and move forward to a resolution of the sale. I'll keep you all posted. In the meantime, we're dealing with the initiation of Hospice for my mother-in-law and all the attention that it requires dealing with two homes is mind boggling. At least my wife has finally retired permanently and between us an a brother-in-law next door we're able to manage as hospice gets started.

I hope that all of you following this thread enjoy a wonderful and joyous Christmas and New Year. We haven't been able to install one single decoration other than a wreath on our door. This old Victorian home was decked out for Christmas for decades and it's almost a sin that we had no vestiges of Christmas installed this year because everything is in storage. Oh well. I'm confident that next year things will be different. I know they will be from our end!

As soon as the closing occurs here we'll be in the hunt for a new address up North and I'll keep you all posted as to where we're be ending up in our adopted new state of Maine.

Old 12-21-2019, 09:43 PM

37,218 posts, read 60,933,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post
Whew! After an extensive inspection there were only 6 "issues" the buyers want addressed, three of which are one-hour projects for me. There is nothing that will torpedo the sale, thank God. So, it would appear that we should be able to resolve any issues they have and move forward to a resolution of the sale.
I wish you luck in getting each of those 'issues' addressed.

Quote:
... In the meantime, we're dealing with the initiation of Hospice for my mother-in-law ... is mind boggling
I understand. Try to take a few minutes here and there to catch your breath and enjoy those who you still have with you.

Quote:
... I hope that all of you following this thread enjoy a wonderful and joyous Christmas and New Year.
May God bless and keep you.

Quote:
... I'll keep you all posted as to where we're be ending up in our adopted new state of Maine.

Old 12-22-2019, 07:46 AM

Oh the house is good news. Thats what I get for believing Redfin. Cant wait to see, once the house sale is final, what your search in Maine finds for you. Its sure been a journey. At least with the house sale going thru, it gives you time to take care of family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine