Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 09:41 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Cuffler -

Enjoy Virginia.

Maine will be here when you are done.

I am sorry for your losses [the one loss and the anticipated loss?]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 05:19 AM

337 posts, read 429,167 times
Thx, Sub. I do very much appreciate your condolances.

We could not be more excited about every new day and the adventure or challenge it brings. It's so refreshing compared to our regular schedule we kept for so many decades back in CT.

We've only had a couple of weeks to begin to sort things out and organize our unpacking. We need a lot of new furniture inludng bookcase and china hutches. We're also modifying the lower kitchen cabinets....I couldn't help myself. I will be getting the additional pieces soon enough to begin that task.

We've ordered all new appiiances except for the fridge. I loved my "induction range" we upgraded to back home and now we've ordered another from KitchenAid along with a new hood, to replace the micro-vent-hood monster there now, and finally a new dishwasher. We figure we're in for a penny, in for a pound an now is the ideal time to tackle all that stuff. We also need new furniture for the living room area and have only taken one swipe at that. We do have a beautiful leather couch but we need matching pieces so we'll work on that after everything else.

I'd normally say "we want" but it's really me who wants a small wood stove installed. I'm' bringing in someone who has a big business in that area and he'll tell me if i's feasible.

Now......on top of all of that, we did head back to CT to make final preps to close on Mom's house. My wife is the exectrix of the estate and also trustee of the trust. So, we could not avoid the drive back here a week ago. Then, as I mentioned in an earlier post, my late mother-in-law's sister (age 99) has begun to fail and quickly. The exector of her finances and her health proxy called my wife (his cousin) and asked her if it would be possible for us to come down to her home on the Rappahannock River about an hour and change from Richmond VA so he could review the impendng division of her estate. Oh my, another 10 hour ride (use to be about 8.5 hours but traffic is a killer) . Fortunately wehad packed up extra underware in anticipation of this and headed South from CT stopping just outside of Philly to grab a good nights sleep and continued on the next day. It was a jamb-packed visit as we had to inventory the house and I helped just as an extra set of hands. We all got to visit our aunt, to, back in Richmond but she's not coming home, that's for certain. She never remarried nor had any children. It's sad that a few cousins have to rally to help her get into Hospice. This is all too familiar to us, of course, because we had to do the same for my wife's mom not three months ago. IT's been a whirlwind of legal stuff, selling and closing of homes on top of our own home back in earily May.

So, I'm back in CT typing on my chrome book while "borrowing" my brother-in-laws internet from next door, having arrived late yesterday (Labor Day) and we're waiting for our dog to come home from my daughter's home. We couldn't take her as we had no room. We were offered a few personal things for our new home from our Aunt's home and gladly took them. She was a world traveler.

We're headed back to our new home in a couple of hours (5 hour ride) and I can't wait to get things going not the least of which is a new cut-out switch for the breaker box so I can use my generator in case of a power outage. Oh yeah....I'll also be loading up on a 1/2 bushel of tomatoes and a dozen CT corn. Maine corn is pretty good, I must say. But CT has the corner on corn.........LOL

Old 09-21-2020, 10:44 AM

762 posts, read 1,749,529 times
Wow, your plates have been full! And what a mix of exciting new changes and sad realities. It's good that you and your wife have each other, and some cousins, for support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post
I'll also be loading up on a 1/2 bushel of tomatoes and a dozen CT corn.
Maine corn is pretty good, I must say. But CT has the corner on corn.........LOL
One of my neighbors grows tomatoes and other veggies in our backyard and generously shares with all the tenants in this house. It's a great perk!

Yes, the corn in Maine is good, and I'm sure Connecticut's is, too - but nothing beats sweet white Jersey corn! I really miss it.

Old 10-03-2020, 12:44 PM

Well hello all! I know it's been a bit but we are now pretty much well on our way to hunkering down for the coming winter. We lost our power for 7 hours in Searsmont, which caught us unawares. We knew the weather was coming but not that bad until the winds hit. We have a well and a 2 stage septic system needing power. So, no water no potty. I have NOT been able to lasso an electrician and, therefore, I can't have a transfer switch installed. But wait! There's more. I actually scored an 11kw Generac at the Rockland Home Depot. I spyed it on the top shelf and asked if it was for sale. No reaso not to sell. Any idea how hard this is to find right now? Woohoo! We'll have an installer here as soon as we can.

Things are going well. We FINALLY closed on the last house in Connecticut this past weekend and went to my youngest daughter's home to celebrate. Well, she topped me because she is expecting in April! We are finally going to have a second grand child and one from the child we least expected it to be from. Her career is spiriling upwards but at age 38 she decided it was time and we're super pleased to say the least.

So, houses sold, house bought, furniture in, new grand child expected, and a super generator to help us though the outages. We are set! We even got our driver's licenses done and I ordered my vanity plate for my van. IT's a beauty!

Old 10-03-2020, 02:10 PM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times
11KW ,large one ,Gas or diesel ,how many gal cap. ?Congrats on the coming new addition in April.

Ben

Old 10-04-2020, 08:41 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Wow, your plates have been full! And what a mix of exciting new changes and sad realities. It's good that you and your wife have each other, and some cousins, for support

One of my neighbors grows tomatoes and other veggies in our backyard and generously shares with all the tenants in this house. It's a great perk!

Yes, the corn in Maine is good, and I'm sure Connecticut's is, too - but nothing beats sweet white Jersey corn! I really miss it.
Agreed - New Jersey isn't nicknamed "the garden state" for nothing, and Jersey corn and tomatoes are both fantastic! It's been over 35 years since I lived there, but I grew up in South Jersey, and yep, still haven't had corn like I did in my youth...

Old 10-04-2020, 08:43 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffler View Post
Well hello all! I know it's been a bit but we are now pretty much well on our way to hunkering down for the coming winter. We lost our power for 7 hours in Searsmont, which caught us unawares. We knew the weather was coming but not that bad until the winds hit. We have a well and a 2 stage septic system needing power. So, no water no potty. I have NOT been able to lasso an electrician and, therefore, I can't have a transfer switch installed. But wait! There's more. I actually scored an 11kw Generac at the Rockland Home Depot. I spyed it on the top shelf and asked if it was for sale. No reaso not to sell. Any idea how hard this is to find right now? Woohoo! We'll have an installer here as soon as we can.

Things are going well. We FINALLY closed on the last house in Connecticut this past weekend and went to my youngest daughter's home to celebrate. Well, she topped me because she is expecting in April! We are finally going to have a second grand child and one from the child we least expected it to be from. Her career is spiriling upwards but at age 38 she decided it was time and we're super pleased to say the least.

So, houses sold, house bought, furniture in, new grand child expected, and a super generator to help us though the outages. We are set! We even got our driver's licenses done and I ordered my vanity plate for my van. IT's a beauty!
Sounds like everything is coming together :-) Is that a propane generator?

Old 10-04-2020, 11:15 AM

Yep, Generac propane. I found an installer who is coming over to get me started. I didn't realize what a rigmarole installing a unit like this was going to be! I'll head down to the town hall tomorrow to see if a permit is required. Then I've got to have the gas company come out and install the gas line from my propane tank. An electrician will be here to install the transfer switch. Coordinating all these trades is nothing short of frustrating because of the time of the year but......I'm learning to take all of this in stride and adopt a more "Maine" attitude. IT'll get done when it's done. Back in CT things are pretty different and substantially more demanding with regards to getting projects done by contractors. I like this Maine attitude fine, thank you very much.

Another day bringing things to the local GoodWill store. I swear we're keeping them afloat!

Old 10-04-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Agreed - New Jersey isn't nicknamed "the garden state" for nothing, and Jersey corn and tomatoes are both fantastic! It's been over 35 years since I lived there, but I grew up in South Jersey, and yep, still haven't had corn like I did in my youth...
When I was a kid, at family picnics with my sis and cousins, shucking corn was our job. I love sweet white corn. And yes, the tomatoes, mmm!

Old 10-04-2020, 01:35 PM

Cuffler, I really like that Home Depot in Rockland. I went in yesterday, ready to return a power drill/driver I'd bought a few days earlier, because I thought it might be missing a part - but wasn't sure if I was operating it correctly. I've never owned a power tool in my life. A young man working there came over and helped show me what I was doing wrong and other aspects of how to use it. He was so patient and non-judgmental, I was impressed. Plus, the parking lot is so peaceful, no matter what time of day. Nothing like what I'm used to!

Glad you're settling in, and congrats on your daughter's pregnancy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine