Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:34 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,659,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
Probably the same thing we do to keep active and sane in AZ during the summer months!! Read, watch movies, exercise

You need a priest for that don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 10:38 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,751,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
You need a priest for that don't you?
No?? Don't really need a priest for anything, sorry.

Honestly, monsoon season is a thrill. The dew point increases, it becomes humid here ( a big change) and we witness magnificent dust and monsoon storms starting around evening rush hour.

Really is an amazing sight! The air smells lovely after a monsoon rain shower- clean, moist and you can smell the scent of creosote. The rain is much need by then and the mountains and vegetation change overnight after a small drink of water.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:43 PM

Exercise,exorcism...I get those two confused sometimes.

I didn't know you got monsoons there. How long is the season?

Old 03-27-2008, 07:13 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moughie View Post
At least here in AZ we have the thrill of monsoon season to look forward to
I do not recall ever hearing anyone speak of monsoon season in positive terms before.

Perhaps you do need a priest.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:27 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,421,636 times
I worked in Mesa at the TRW plant when it was built. Boy, the weather out there can be really hot and dry. The washouts are incredible, with just a smidget of rain, the creeks rise incredibly. The monsoons are neat and I'll never forget the smell of freshness after the storms....ahhhhhh.....

Old 03-27-2008, 04:52 PM

323 posts, read 992,616 times
I LOVE the monsoons also. It is quite the sight. I grew up outside of Phx and we had great thunder and lightening cracking in the sky. We would sit on the porch and cheer for the big ones.

It comes with a refreshing breeze, moisture in the air and rain..sometimes big rain. It use to be like clockwork and rain the same time everyday or close to it and now I notice it rains but you never know when. Sometime we don't even get much rain. But it is a sight and I really like it, creeks rise and everyone get's excited to talk about the washes running full, people (including us) pull our car over and take pictures of the water. It's such a change of weather it gives us Zonies something different to talk about instead of HEAT!
We are going to the lake tomorrow and I hear the wildflowers are better here than they have been in years, if you want I can attach a pic may make you think of Spring. For you Mainers anyway

Last edited by jenkaye; 03-27-2008 at 05:36 PM.. Reason: Just rambling on..

Old 03-27-2008, 05:34 PM

36 posts, read 71,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I do not recall ever hearing anyone speak of monsoon season in positive terms before.

Perhaps you do need a priest.
The monsoons out here are incredible. First you see dark skies in the distance, followed by the smell, then light flashes in the sky with a distant rumble. The wind picks up, the darkness gets closer, the thunder gets louder, and then hard and fast the rain comes. As quickly as it came, it stops leaving you wanting more.
Yes, they can cause damage, but us rain deprived folk out here relish the storms. They are beautiful!!

Old 03-27-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkaye View Post
I LOVE the monsoons also. It is quite the sight. I grew up outside of Phx and we had great thunder and lightening cracking in the sky. We would sit on the porch and cheer for the big ones.

It comes with a refreshing breeze, moisture in the air and rain..sometimes big rain. It use to be like clockwork and rain the same time everyday or close to it and now I notice it rains but you never know when. Sometime we don't even get much rain. But it is a sight and I really like it, creeks rise and everyone get's excited to talk about the washes running full, people (including us) pull our car over and take pictures of the water. It's such a change of weather it gives us Zonies something different to talk about instead of HEAT!
We are going to the lake tomorrow and I hear the wildflowers are better here than they have been in years, if you want I can attach a pic may make you think of Spring. For you Mainers anyway
What is a flower?

Old 03-27-2008, 05:52 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,346,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
What is a flower?
It is 'still wintah' so you won't see them right now.

However for a short period of time, during 'road-repair season' they pop up in the fields.

Right before 'almost wintah' starts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine